Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
As opposed to public schools indoctrinating kids with moronic views of liberals?

Children cannot develop their own views unless they are exposed to the views of others. They weigh opposing sides and decide where they will stand. Apparently you don't want children to hear anything that doesn't fit your ideology. You are rather closed minded.
Isn't that the entire reason people home school in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
There are all sorts of questions of proper boundaries for teachers (and other human service workers). Should you answer a question about being gay? Being married? What your religion is?
It seems the OP could best serve students by teaching/talking/working on how one makes political decisions, the role of media, how do students feel when they hear ___ or ____. If the OP told the students he is now a Democrat because he didn't want them to think he was a Republican (given the current crop), then I think he has something of an inappropriate need to have the students regard him in a certain way; that is, he cares what they think about him outside of him being a teacher. In human service work, we've been told not to handle things that way. (The exception being, it is OK to tell people in detox whether or not you're in recovery. Not sure why, but it's easy enough for me to say I'm not, if asked.)

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM

391 posts, read 513,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Great. Just what our kids need. More ignorant editorialism instead of solid teaching.
No I don't let the kids know WHY I will admit to being a democrat. This is just my reasoning behind it.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM

840 posts, read 781,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Wasn't ashamed, did'nt want to influence the kids that respected me unduly.
Ahh..well personally I prefer a teacher like you teaching my kids. Personally politics should not be brought into the class room if it can be avoided.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The correlation between intelligence and being left leaning isn't a fluke. People whom are intelligent know how to think for themselves, and that right wing policies have always failed.

The GOP appeals to the most ignorant, uneducated, racist idiots among us that are easily programmed. You can say it's easy to be a republican as all you have to do is be dumb, filled with hate, and do as you're told. It takes at least half a brain to be affiliated with any other party.
Quit drinking the liberal Kool-Aid. You are simply spouting off left wing talking points and you seriously want to be taken seriously when you are talking about critical thinking?

MiamiTeacher had the post of the day above. Notice how she respects her students regardless of their political leanings. I was having some fun with her OP - and there is no doubt the public school system is a bit too leftist - but what she said gives me some hope. I don't think she is going to be indoctrinating her students and she will not belittle them or question their intelligence if they lean towards the right.

Miami - tell your students you will vote for Obama. It will jumpstart some good debate and perhaps you will produce adults who can analyze rationally rather then spew junk like Tempest!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Believe it or not, because I was so non-committal, I think that they assumed that I was a Republican. I love the fact that these kids were interested in politics and will encourage them, whatever their political leanings. I think that apathy is the worst thing in our society and want to get people out there to vote. That is the basis of our democracy. I don't want a bunch of mindless automatonons (sorry if this is spelled wrong) I think that if we teach our children to think for themselves we can raise a generation of children that can keep this republic going. I don't want to use propaganda and other bull**** to brainwash our children. Let, us be bold enough to teach kids to THINK. My views may differ from yours, but, I have enough respect to give facts and not propaganda.
Post of the day!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
No wander our public schools are in such trouble with reasonig like that. You thnik it will make a difference but then say you don't.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Ahh..well personally I prefer a teacher like you teaching my kids. Personally politics should not be brought into the class room if it can be avoided.
Thank you. I do teach civics and do have to talk about politics and I make every attempt to be as neutral as possible. I also try to keep my personal feelings aside when responding to attacks on this form, as I see you do too, and a appreciate it. So reps to you!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Quit drinking the liberal Kool-Aid. You are simply spouting off left wing talking points and you seriously want to be taken seriously when you are talking about critical thinking?

MiamiTeacher had the post of the day above. Notice how she respects her students regardless of their political leanings. I was having some fun with her OP - and there is no doubt the public school system is a bit too leftist - but what she said gives me some hope. I don't think she is going to be indoctrinating her students and she will not belittle them or question their intelligence if they lean towards the right.

Miami - tell your students you will vote for Obama. It will jumpstart some good debate and perhaps you will produce adults who can analyze rationally rather then spew junk like Tempest!
Thank you, it means so much to me when I hear that someone can respect what I'm doing. I keep going on. I really felt that I was going over the line telling the kids I was a democrat, but, they know that I'll listen and be fair. That's what this coutry needs. To listen. AND RESPECT.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Isn't that the entire reason people home school in the first place?
There are many myths about home schooled children and this is one of the most common. The home schooled children I know have actually been exposed to more cultural, political, and academic diversity then I was as a public school student. The reasons people home school are varied. Not all home schools are religious based. Some parents worry about safety. Having the freedom to show their child the world in a dynamic way is another benefit. The home schooled children I know were in a Christian environment, are bilingual, interested in a wide array of subjects, have musical ability, and are very well read. Their grades in college are excellent. This describes many public school children as well. It is benefical to do some research on homeschooling rather then subscribe to the stereotypes opponents generally use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies