Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

No. I have not given up because I have experienced first hand in many examples over they years the benevolence of what makes the United States unique.

I have been fortunate to have been stationed/stayed for extended periods in many countries in Latin America and Western Europe and none can compare to combined quality of life and opportunity we have here.

My brother works for the State Dept. and has been in other parts to complete the whole-Africa, Middle and Far East and concurs we have overall the best opportunities compared to any other modern state.

We also have the most distractions. But that is another thread.

I was raised by Americans who believed in the uniqueness of America. They were descendents from those generations who arrived pre-1900 to the 1930s and appreciated the scope provided here.

I was raised in a city made renown by the hard work ethic of political refugees arriving here in the late-1950s and throughout the 1960s. It has rubbed off compared to more settled cities.

The truth is that much of what our government has done domestically is extremely well intentioned with emphasis on personal honor and responsiblity of the population not to abuse these programs. That they are abused does not speak ill of the government but of the people themselves and how they are raised and educated.

Whether a person believes in the Judeo-Christian God or not, one must admit that the principles of Christianity with morality, charity, kindness, social responsiblity, self determination and implied work ethic is one of the attributes behind the basic principles of the USA and how it has evolved compared to other states in history. If we are true to Darwinian principles of being only a higher order of animal, then the social safety net makes no sense and it needs to be sink or swim. The lesser elements of society needed to be culled from those who contribute.

We provide to people so they can be able to make a life for themselves. We assist those who are in a lesser place compared to other Americans because of injustices done in the past. We try to help everyone and maintain balance everywhere.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-08-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
It's Americans like you that make America great. The producers of that "news" piece in Moscow have no idea how many of you there are. They are clueless as to why America has a strong past, present and future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No. I have not given up because I have experienced first hand in many examples over they years the benevolence of what makes the United States unique.

I have been fortunate to have been stationed/stayed for extended periods in many countries in Latin America and Western Europe and none can compare to combined quality of life and opportunity we have here.

My brother works for the State Dept. and has been in other parts to complete the whole-Africa, Middle and Far East and concurs we have overall the best opportunities of compared to any other modern state.

We also have the most distractions. But that is another thread.

I was raised by Americans who believed in the uniqueness of America. They were descendents from those generations who arrived pre-1900 to the 1930s and appreciated the scope provided here.

I was raised in a city made renown by the hard work ethic of political refugees arriving here in the late-1950s and throughout the 1960s. It has rubbed off compared to more settled cities.

The truth is that much of what our government has done domestically is extremely well intentioned with emphasis on personal honor and responsiblity of the population not to abuse these programs. That they are abused does not speak ill of the government but of the people themselves and how they are raised and educated.

Whether a person believes in the Judeo-Christian God or not, one must admit that the principles of Christianity with morality, charity, kindness, social responsiblity and implied work ethic is one of the attributes behind the basic principles of the USA and how it has evolved compared to other states in history. If we are true to Darwinian principles of being only a higher order of animal, then the social safety net makes no sense and it needs to be sink or swim. The lesser elements of society needed to be culled from those who contribute.

We provide to people so they can be able to make a life for themselves. We assist those who are in a lesser place compared to other Americans because of onjustices done in the past. We try to help everyone and maintain balance everywhere.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
An ex-pat friend of mine, a successful businessman who has made Italy his home by being transferred there, finding a wonderful wife and home, has not become an Italian citizen. He said when Bush was elected in 2004, he despaired and thought of dropping his U.S. citizenship in protest. I said, "So you feel part of the Italian political environment, you feel like an Italian citizen?" Of course not. What he loves is the countryside (where wife inherited a villa, the lovely wife, and as he says, "Italian men are useless mama's boys. But the women are god's gift to the world."
He's still a U.S. citizen.
Another friend, an gay journalist from west Texas ( a bad place to grow up gay in the 1950s!) moved to Germany on a whim and a free trip, made a good life there and feels like he belongs nowhere. He still votes in Somerville, Mass. I asked him if he would become a German citizen, and he recoiled. "When Germany reunited, the torchlight parades made me nervous."
I think other countries are fine places, and don't believe U.S.A. Number One! After all, there's a lot of numbers after One, and how to judge? But I will never give up on America. I am two generations away from immigrant poverty, Jew-hating and persecution, illiteracy and outdoor latrines *in the city* with that poverty. Two generations later, I live well, do not have to have a husband unless I want one, have a professional degree and very free life. I know there are other places where I could have been born and lived well, but I happened to end up here, and am very appreciative. That's why I can't stand demogogues and other UN-American politicians. Of course I'm terribly disappointed in a lot of the chicanery and greed and all that there is, but feel we have to stand against it as best we can. I will never give up on America.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
The problem with America is that everyone is so damn brainwashed along political lines. Americans can't even figure out what's best for the country anymore. It's always left right, this that. It's exactly how "they" want it. America is the last bastion of defiance in the face of a world government. It's true. People think it's some sort of whacky conspiracy theory but they are just clueless dumbed down morons who would believe anything their government spoon feeds them. The people that really control this country and in turn control the world........i.e. the bankers/corporate oligarchs don't care about America or any nation. They don't care about Americans or the entire concept of a Constitutional Republic where individual freedom and liberty and most importantly the FOREMOST tenets of capitalism I.E. Private property and individual ownership of the means of production is antithetical to their power and control over the USA and the world. Americans have been duped into believing in a political system and an economic system (capitalism) that doesn't even exist.

The Federal Reserve has been the biggest threat to this country since its inception in 1913. Americans have no clue why or how their country is being pillaged and plundered by the elite oligarchs who own the banks and control our money supply. They are too dumbed down and asleep like zombies punching keys like mindless bots on their Iphones and Ipads. Why is it the busiest store in any mall is always the Apple store? Because human beings are being pushed into a direction and a state of complete cognitive dissonance regarding reality and what really goes on in the world.

The US money supply is the singlel biggest threat to Americans. The FED has been bankrupting this country for the last 100 years. If Americans really understood where their money comes from they'd revolt yesterday. Jefferson, Jackson, Kennedy, all railed against the bankers and the entrenched money powers that subvert democracy and economic prosperity.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
They beauty of America is if you don't like it you have the FREEDOM to leave. Get the hell out. Go to greener pastures if you think you can find em.
The 'get out" responses that the Right often uses seem quite intolerant and dictatorial. It's a quick way of saying: shut up, obey authority, do as you're told...and if you don't like it, get out.
Since Obama is President the Right have been whining non-stop. Something the Right didn't thin of - That same attitude can just as easily be applied to the Right - if you don't like Obama for President you have the freedom to leave. And don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM

America is worth fighting for.....but the only way it will change for the better is if we decrease the size, scope, and cost of government. That is the only way. Our government is killing this country. I dont' see anything changing. The only thing I see is secession. And that will only lead to violence and bloodshed. But maybe that is what this country needs. It has happened all over the world.. Russia, the Balkans, Asia, etc. Maybe the entire continent of North America needs to be redrawn through revolutionary war like it was in the 1700s. Hell Canada only has 33 million people. I say we move up and kick them off some of their land! Give Mexico and the dirty south AZ, NM, and SoCal! LMAO!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The best propaganda has a little truth in it, but seriously, I would not trust this news source. I have not watched it extensively, but I have watched Press TV for the better part of a year. The view it presents of America is laughable. If that was your main news source, you would have ridiculous ideas about life in the US, which of course, is the purpose of the broadcast. RT has a similar charter to Press TV.

I'm pretty far left politically, gwyn, and I'm very open to criticism of the US, but I don't think that a "news" source coming from Moscow or Tehran is credible. Neither nation has a very good track record when it comes to honesty. If you're really interested in getting a good outsider's perpsective on the US, stick with the British press -- or even French or German. Don't bother with the media of a nation ran by a dictator.
You are 100% wrong, the coalition to dominate is not where the truth is. RT was and is one of the few telling the truth about the Middle East, and the hegemony of the western powers. I do like PressTV among others.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The 'get out" responses that the Right often uses seem quite intolerant and dictatorial. It's a quick way of saying: shut up, obey authority, do as you're told...and if you don't like it, get out.
Since Obama is President the Right have been whining non-stop. Something the Right didn't thin of - That same attitude can just as easily be applied to the Right - if you don't like Obama for President you have the freedom to leave. And don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

LOL..........KUchief25 can't sound any more "typical" when it comes to brainwashed Americans and their political ideology. He's like the looney left. Wouldn't surprise me if he's a Santorum supporter.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not just the uber wealthy. It's also those on fixed income that just cannot afford to live in the US on what they get anymore. There are retirees being priced out of being able to afford to live in the US.

Retirees Cross Borders to Find Richer Lifestyle | Wealth Magazine

Retire overseas on $1,200 a month - expatriates & bargains - MSN Money
Jesse Ventura appears to have given up on changing America. He's not living high on the hog in Mexico.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You are 100% wrong, the coalition to dominate is not where the truth is. RT was and is one of the few telling the truth about the Middle East, and the hegemony of the western powers. I do like PressTV among others.

WestCobb is recommending the British press? HAHAHA OMG! Typical braindead lemming. Britain is one of the most corrupt, dishonest countries on earth. Their media is no different. LOL.....BBC? Just what is considered "English press"? HAHA! People are hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies