Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So are you saying their video content is fake? They simply posted videos of what was happening in America. We do it in other countries all the time.
If we do it to other countries all the time, we are wrong. How idiotic would it be for a Kenyan to watch a US propoganda news station chartered by the CIA and think that it's the "real news" because it got a story or two right? Don't be a willing dupe, G. Do some research into RT. This is not a credible news source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Breaking this story doesn't make this a credible news source. Do you think Brietbart was credible because he got the story right about Weiner and the rapes at some Occupy camps? When you watch RT, keep in mind that it was specifically chartered by Putin to broadcast Russian propoganda to the English speaking world. It is literally the brain child of former KGB operatives. I'm a lefty. I'm not an idiot. I don't consider this (or Press TV -- Iran's version) to be credible news.
Please explain the propaganda in this video. Please explain to me how this is some conspiracy. Maybe it is YOU that is being duped. I'm of the age to have had friends in these protest. The police were completely out of line. Every protester is not innocent of blame, but lets prosecute the law breakers on both sides of the aisle.

Some of these cops are cowards and about as Un-American as they come.

Occupy Wall Street: Police brutality, media blackout - YouTube

Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
If we do it to other countries all the time, we are wrong. How idiotic would it be for a Kenyan to watch a US propoganda news station chartered by the CIA and think that it's the "real news" because it got a story or two right? Don't be a willing dupe, G. Do some research into RT. This is not a credible news source.
"I'm extremely dissapointed in Fox News and CNN. After we witnessed police brutality we kept calling them constantly and then they shut down their headquarters. Anytime we mentioned Occupy Wall Street, they'd hang up on us."

1:45-1:55

Was this person working on the behalf of RT? Does that sound like, "Fair and Balanced News" to you?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Please explain the propaganda in this video. Please explain to me how this is some conspiracy. Maybe it is YOU that is being duped. I'm of the age to have had friends in these protest. The police were completely out of line. Every protester is not innocent of blame, but lets prosecute the law breakers on both sides of the aisle.

Some of these cops are cowards and about as Un-American as they come.
Yeah, me too. My buddy is very active in the Occupy Boston movement. If you don't understand the point that I am making already, nothing I can say will convince you of it. You are like the guy who logs into Brietbart daily thinking you are getting the "real scoop." Some people are accomplices in their own ignorance. Watch RT. Enjoy. It will report the truth when it suits its propogandous mission. Don't forget what you're watching and why it is being broadcast. America has its faults. It's far, far better than what it would be if Putin were running the joint.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, me too. My buddy is very active in the Occupy Boston movement. If you don't understand the point that I am making already, nothing I can say will convince you of it. You are like the guy who logs into Brietbart daily thinking you are getting the "real scoop." Some people are accomplices in their own ignorance. Watch RT. Enjoy. It will report the truth when it suits its propogandous mission. Don't forget what you're watching and why it is being broadcast. America has its faults. It's far, far better than what it would be if Putin were running the joint.
I don't know how you can take the assumption that because I get my information from a plethora of news sources that I somehow support Putin or am Anti-American.

And by definition, nearly ALL news is propaganda.

prop·a·gan·da   [prop-uh-gan-duh] Show IPA
noun
information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.
the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or movement.

It just depends on what you choose to fight for. I choose to stand up for those willing to protest peacefully. I support video content highlighting the injustices going on in this country.

So by definition, Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC all use "propaganda" to push their agendas. Don't single out RT simply because it isn't American. Some things need to be exposed in this country. If we'd do more to fix our problems instead of HIDE them, then maybe we wouldn't be in the situation we are in today.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
So by definition, Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC all use "propaganda" to push their agendas. Don't single out RT simply because it isn't American.
RT was specifically charterd by the Kremlin to discredit America. That's its purpose. To accomplish this mission, it draws upon many of the tools developed by the KGB during the Soviet era. How is this not getting through to you? Yes, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, et al have their slants and biases. None of them were chartered by a dictator for the purpose of distorting world opinion. Al Jazeera English is not American. I respect that news source because it strives for objectivity. The prince in Qatar who runs it is committed to nonbiased news (a rarity in the Middle East). You should watch that.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Much more objective than MSM. They still have investigative journalism. Todays headlines, judge for yourself.

RT

Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Speaking of sources we can't trust, CNN was just caught with their pants down on Syria.

CNN Attempts to Counter Scandal Over

Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
RT was specifically charterd by the Kremlin to discredit America. That's its purpose. To accomplish this mission, it draws upon many of the tools developed by the KGB during the Soviet era. How is this not getting through to you? Yes, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, et al have their slants and biases. None of them were chartered by a dictator for the purpose of distorting world opinion. Al Jazeera English is not American. I respect that news source because it strives for objectivity. The prince in Qatar who runs it is committed to nonbiased news (a rarity in the Middle East). You should watch that.
You bring up some valid points, but I believe you are being a bit too broad and absolute in your conclusions.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
You bring up some valid points, but I believe you are being a bit too broad and absolute in your conclusions.
Please explain how I am being too broad and absolute. Both RT and PressTV were chartered by autocratic governments to present heavily skewed perspectives and discredit America. They are old fashioned Soviet-style state-run media outlets. I understand that Russians had to watch this crap in 1970s. They had no other options. Why would anyone voluntarily watch them and promote them by linking to their stories? I'm aware that our corporate media is not the be-all end-all of truth in journalism, but it is light years ahead of this. You don't cure yourself of the stomach flu by shooting yourself in the stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies