Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the cow has e coli anywhere except its intestines, that would be one sick cow.
you really have no clue at all what goes on when an animal is butchered, do you?

Quote:
The fact that the gruel has to be gassed with Ammonia to kill e coli should give you a clue that fecal/intestinal matter is included in the pink slime gruel.
does the fact that all meat has to be heated to a certain temperature to kill e. coli give you any similar clues?

a blog called 'brane space' is your source for your 'entrails' theory? really??

i'll bet you didn't see this retraction from your previous NYT story, either

Quote:
Correction: January 12, 2010
An editorial on Sunday mischaracterized the safety record of ground meat produced by Beef Products Inc. The editorial said incorrectly that two 27,000-pound batches of processed beef had been recalled. The contamination of the meat was discovered by the company in its plant before the beef was shipped. No meat produced by Beef Products Inc. has been linked to any illnesses or outbreaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you really have no clue at all what goes on when an animal is butchered, do you?

does the fact that all meat has to be heated to a certain temperature to kill e. coli give you any similar clues?

i'll bet you didn't see this retraction from your previous NYT story, either
I eat my steaks rare. No e coli on them.

So, according to your source, there was in fact contaminated pink slime.

BTW, the story in your link is not a retraction to the story I posted.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Umm, because one involves a poisonous chemical?
If that was a problem then nobody would eat anything. For example, chlorine gas is used to process beef, pork, lamb, and poultry, and it is also poisonous. That is just the acidifies/alkalizers, that does not even cover the antioxidants, binders, coloring agents, curing accelerators, denuding agents, film forming agents, flavoring agents, packaging systems, poultry scalding agents, and tenderizing agents. Literally hundreds of different chemicals are used, most of them poisonous.

City critters in particular are largely ignorant of how their food is processed. When they go to the grocery store to buy that boneless, skinless, chicken breast, they are completely unaware that the chicken went through aqueous solution of sulfuric, hydrochloric and phosphoric acid, and potassium hydroxide. Then salt, lactic acid, sodium diacetate, and mono- and diglycerides are added as an antimicrobial. Finally carbon monoxide, which is also poisonous, is included as a component of a modified atmosphere packaging system (see Tyson Foods, Inc.).

When they eventually do figure out how their food is processed, they panic without cause. Remember the Alar scare on apples during the 1990s? Another example of mindless idiots panicking without cause.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If that was a problem then nobody would eat anything. For example, chlorine gas is used to process beef, pork, lamb, and poultry, and it is also poisonous. That is just the acidifies/alkalizers, that does not even cover the antioxidants, binders, coloring agents, curing accelerators, denuding agents, film forming agents, flavoring agents, packaging systems, poultry scalding agents, and tenderizing agents. Literally hundreds of different chemicals are used, most of them poisonous.

City critters in particular are largely ignorant of how their food is processed. When they go to the grocery store to buy that boneless, skinless, chicken breast, they are completely unaware that the chicken went through aqueous solution of sulfuric, hydrochloric and phosphoric acid, and potassium hydroxide. Then salt, lactic acid, sodium diacetate, and mono- and diglycerides are added as an antimicrobial. Finally carbon monoxide, which is also poisonous, is included as a component of a modified atmosphere packaging system (see Tyson Foods, Inc.).

When they eventually do figure out how their food is processed, they panic without cause. Remember the Alar scare on apples during the 1990s? Another example of mindless idiots panicking without cause.
None of that garbage is in my meat. I shoot and butcher my own meat. Commercially prepared meat is so heavily adulterated I want nothing to do with it. I want to see all of this adulteration of meat ended.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:

Meat can be safely eaten raw when it's butchered and cared for properly from start to finish. Lots of wild animals do it everyday without getting sick and dying. Ancient humans did so as well. I wouldn't eat anything from the store raw, though.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
My wife & I ate a late supper at iHop this evening.

Just before we were getting ready to leave, a guy was mopping the tile entryway floor. I smelled chlorine in his mop water.

Those dirty rotten bassturds! The odors of that could have gotten in the food and killed me! I'm NEVER eating there again!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Meat can be safely eaten raw when it's butchered and cared for properly from start to finish. Lots of wild animals do it everyday without getting sick and dying. Ancient humans did so as well. I wouldn't eat anything from the store raw, though.
Dogs also eat each other's poop, so I don't know that making animal comparisons is necessarily the best thing to do.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Not a good reason to give it up. Some merchants have announced they won't sell meat with the stuff. I have no good reason to not believe them.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:

are there 'mad cow' prions present? there shouldn't be, since use of CNS tissue is forbidden.
Of course there "shouldn't be" because it's forbidden. But the recent fad of 'Deregulation" has decreased the number of USDA inspectors and loosened enforcement of standards.

Why should the tax-paying public take the risk? Creutzfeld-Jacov Disease is 100% fatal and horribly debilitating before death. Public health trumps meat processors' profits.

Quote:
how many 'mad cows' have been found in the US so far, anyway?
I don't know.

You?

If we're lucky, it's none. But I don't think we should depend on luck. I think health standards should be enforced. I don't think we should turn our backs on it like Gov Perry was advocating.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it's kind of funny the same people who were screaming about being given the option of having birth control over their moral objections...is telling people to shut up and eat their slime over their health objections.

Let me give you a hint. If the only reason your business stays afloat is because people don't know they are eating your product, you are in the wrong business.
Pretty much.

That's basically what I keep coming back to: if this stuff is A-OK, why was it such a well-kept secret?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies