Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm not quite that 'geeky' yet, but I too became unintimidated a few years back when my daughters computer crashed and I fixed it. I restored it from the hard drive.

I also attempted to install WindowsXP on a computer that had been running Windows98, but that didn't work out to well. It would run sometimes, but it was very unstable. A call to Microsoft ... they told me the computer was marginal for XP, so I gave up on it and we bought a new computer instead.

Since then, I have installed and configured Apache, PHP 5.3 and MySQL on my own computer, which is running WindowsXP. This is for my Website developement work. The more you do, the more you learn, and the less intimidated you become. Besides, it's fun! It's so much fun, it ought to be illegal!!!
It is fun.
I think people are intimidated by computers. There's so much that a person can do with their computer to make life easier. If you can learn to send an email, you can learn to install an application. Or change a setting. Or whatever. It really is that simple.

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
On Linux, I install the free firewall called "ufw." That pretty much does it for most users. Because a Linux PC is under control of your password.

Peace,
brian
The same is true for all those linux/unix servers getting hacked by all those people stealing information... You see how well it's working for them.

Without AV / Anti trojan software running, you are an open target, Firewall or not.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The same is true for all those linux/unix servers getting hacked by all those people stealing information... You see how well it's working for them.

Without AV / Anti trojan software running, you are an open target, Firewall or not.
Where are "all those linux/unix servers?" I don't know what they do or don't do, but there are ways to protect yourself, and there are ways to get into whatever you want, if you have the right knowledge.

I haven't used an Anti-Virus for a couple of years now, and I'm really wondering what all the hype is about.
I don't doubt that Google's servers have to be protected better than the average Joe, but they use Linux/Unix because it saves them money and they can modify things the way they want, without having to ask someone for permission or paying extra fees.
Sounds good to me!

Peace,
brian

Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Among the many features I like about Linux is that security updates don’t require a reboot. Very smooth. Windows is maddening for update reboots, you boot up the OS and get ready to start something only to have 29 MB of time consuming important updates while Windows installs and then needs a reboot. You can always put off this time consuming procedure but later on you’ll have to do it anyway.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
using FLAC is a hugely diminishing return....and IMO, totally negligible...

VBR 320kbps (even 256) >>>>>>>>>> FLAC

all day.....

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM

I do indeed realize that a not-very-compressed mp3 can have good quality. (Of course, the file size goes up, too.)

So why isn't mp3 open source? Or rather, why is flac open source and yet people don't prefer it?

And that's the reason for this thread. Why pay Microsoft when Linux gives you all the power to do what you want for free??
Maybe some people think that "if it's free, it can't be any good." ??
Which is obviously not a law of truth!

Peace,
brian

Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
using FLAC is a hugely diminishing return....and IMO, totally negligible...

VBR 320kbps (even 256) >>>>>>>>>> FLAC

all day.....
I prefer 320 CBR. Space is cheap.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM

I think it's because of the convenience of Windows...

Let's face it...many people will simply dead Linux once they realize they have to compile programs to install them..and many not knowing which package of a specific software/program to download.. (i.e. a Debian package vs a Red Hat)

Let's face it....Linux has a long way to go....Simply asking people to roll their tech sleeves up to buck the system isn't going to happen....How many teenagers do you know that care about how Linux can help crush Microsoft? They just want to be able to install their browser in one click and go straight to YouTube.

It's a nerd niche.

Think about all the LITTLE things people can do to go against the establishment and they simply do not. This is relatively thought intensive..so forget it, lol.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
I prefer 320 CBR.
I don't mind CBR, TBH...I have a huge issue with audiophiles..psychoacoustics are definitely a real thing.

Quote:
Space is cheap.

When you have 4+ TB's of media ...space doesn't come cheap anymore... Especially with the recent floods in Taiwan put the prices of HDD's through the roof.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Where are "all those linux/unix servers?" I don't know what they do or don't do, but there are ways to protect yourself, and there are ways to get into whatever you want, if you have the right knowledge.

I haven't used an Anti-Virus for a couple of years now, and I'm really wondering what all the hype is about.
I don't doubt that Google's servers have to be protected better than the average Joe, but they use Linux/Unix because it saves them money and they can modify things the way they want, without having to ask someone for permission or paying extra fees.
Sounds good to me!

Peace,
brian
We are talking about stuff like Company information being hacked, people's credit card info, name/email/passwords, etc. Seriously, you mean to tell me you don't understand what it is I am talking about?

Let me make it simple, without protection, far greater than you having a password and a firewall, you are an open target.

As for saving money by modifying, seriously? WTF are you going to modify?

The Web server? I can run Apache on windows and modify to my heart's content.

(BTW did you know that APACHE Server is short for "A PATCHY Server" because it was PATCHED together?).

In fact most ANYTHING you are going to modify on Linux because it's something that doesn't suit your tastes, are probably modifiable on windows.

I run several differing OS's, the right OS for the job. If I want to play a game that requires windows, i run windows. If I need to go somewhere on the internet that requires special security, I run a virtual OS, with "Changes not saved" so that when I shut it down, anything modified during my session is deleted automatically. If I am programming, then I run the OS I need depending on the platform I am programming for. If I am doing graphics work, I run mac OSX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies