Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
I love posts like this, the ones from toads too fat/scared/dense to serve.
I don't believe this guy has a friend, though. He's lying.

I second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes! "Career" military (those with 20 yrs or more) receive extremely generous pensions and healthcare for life for themselves and family. Which other industry compensates its employees like that?
SOOOO, what do you think about the perks Politicians have for not doing their job?

I would advise you to talk to a disabled Vet or even one that gave 20 + years of his/her life to this country... say those exact others to him or her and see what happens.

So what other industry send people to foreign countries to fight in combat?

Do you have any Veterans in your family?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
What makes you think the military gets too much pay? All the miliary families I know that are in the reserves get less pay than their regular jobs which makes it hard on their families to pay bills. Also, military families often struggle to make ends meet. The extended family often helps to keep them afloat financially. How much would you work for for putting your life at stake?
Everyone in the military CHOOSES to enlist.

Military get free rent, utilities, BAS, sep rations, medical, education.
These benefits are not counted in their salary so they look like they make less.
Let's start counting the rent, utilities, medical, education, etc. benefits and see how they stack up.
They know their salaries when they enlist.

They choose to join.
People with few/no skills can't expect to make much.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
SOOOO, what do you think about the perks Politicians have for not doing their job?

I would advise you to talk to a disabled Vet or even one that gave 20 + years of his/her life to this country... say those exact others to him or her and see what happens.

So what other industry send people to foreign countries to fight in combat?

Do you have any Veterans in your family?
Yeah, I'm a vet myself.
Retirees had a job for 20 years and could have quit any time they decided not to re-enlist.
You're not a bunch of poor suffering people who have no choices in life.

[MOD CUT]

They're vets, not entitled.
It's no big deal, they applied for their jobs.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-26-2011 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: off topic and rude

Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes! "Career" military (those with 20 yrs or more) receive extremely generous pensions and healthcare for life for themselves and family. Which other industry compensates its employees like that?
Tell me what you consider "generous" as far as $$$ go.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM

One of my close friends is an EOD guy. He was offered 180K a year to work for a nuclear plant and turned down the job because he wants to serve this country. I can guarantee you that he will NEVER make that much in the Army in a year.

I have friends who have gotten out and worked in the same field as me (Intel) and make more than 100K annually doing the exact same thing they did in the Army. Who is being overpaid?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
One of my close friends is an EOD guy. He was offered 180K a year to work for a nuclear plant and turned down the job because he wants to serve this country. I can guarantee you that he will NEVER make that much in the Army in a year.

I have friends who have gotten out and worked in the same field as me (Intel) and make more than 100K annually doing the exact same thing they did in the Army. Who is being overpaid?
Yet some people can't stop whining about choices that they make.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM

760 posts, read 685,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who exactly is "whining"?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Seems as though the only one whining here would be yourself.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
I did a hitch in the Air Force in the early 70s during the Viet Nam era. Enlisting was a proactive measure on my behalf to avoid being drafted into the Army or going to prison as a draft dodger. Having a belief that war is a criminal act, I profoundly disliked my time in the Air Force. That being said, I also believe that anyone choosing a military life for whatever reason, deserves every nickle the government is willing to pay them for risking life and limb for their beliefs, and for putting up with all the crap that entails. My hope is that their military experience will open their eyes and they too will one day believe that war is a criminal act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies