Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Actually that is a pretty reliable source. Why do you question it? Sources?
Russia Today is not a reliable source. It is a state-owned media source established by Putin to distort world opinion and spread propaganda. Putin, who is of course himself ex KGB, relies on the same KGB operatives who were behind such "reliable sources" as Pravda in the Soviet Union to run RT. I'm not questioning the veracity of this particular story -- it may or may not be true .. I will wait to see more on this. Please don't confuse RT and news though.

Review the "Allegations of pro-Kremlin bias" section of the wikepedia article on them to find the following reliable sources dismissing RT as Soviet-style propaganda: The Economist, Der Speigel, The New Republic, Accuracy in Media, Reporters without Borders and others.

RT is ran by the Direcorate of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service. It is the equivalent of a "news" service that is managed by the CIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)

Last edited by WestCobb; 03-18-2012 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Russia Today is not a reliable source. It is a state-owned media source established by Putin to distort world opinion and spread propaganda. Putin, who is of course himself ex KGB, relies on the same KGB operatives who were behind such "reliable sources" as Pravda in the Soviet Union to run RT. I'm not questioning the veracity of this particular story -- it may or may not be true .. I will wait to see more on this. Please don't confuse RT and news though.

Review the "Allegations of pro-Kremlin bias" section of the wikepedia article on them to find the following reliable sources dismissing RT as Soviet-style propaganda: The Economist, Der Speigel, The New Republic, Accuracy in Media, Reporters without Borders and others.

RT is ran by the Direcorate of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service. It is the equivalent of a "news" service that is managed by the CIA.

So, in other words, it is about the same as most American news networks. You really thinly we don't get a distorted world view from our media? I'd trust RT for anything beyond our borders. And the live broadcast I've seen, in philly, seemed pretty down the middle, no spin, no agenda.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
I have no opinion on the truth of this, but I do hope it turns out to be false. That place is a powder keg already.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
So, in other words, it is about the same as most American news networks. You really thinly we don't get a distorted world view from our media? I'd trust RT for anything beyond our borders. And the live broadcast I've seen, in philly, seemed pretty down the middle, no spin, no agenda.
I had a feeling you were going to come back with this. Buzzard, our media is not perfect -- lots of it has biases. Everyone should expose themselves to a wide variety of national and international media sources and think critically. To say RT is the equivalent of CNN or Fox News is extremely ignorant. No, it's the equivalent of this: Obama calls up the director of the CIA and says, "Hey Dave, get me your best information operations guys. I think I'm going to a launch a news service."

Research RT for yourself. This is not a reliable news service. Don't make yourself into Putin's useful idiot by treating it like it is. It's list of critics is not just one source. It's literally every reliable, established, respected news source (German, American and British.. that I know of) that has looked at RT critically. Yes, it might look like news ... and yes, it might look "middle of the road" -- that's because ex KGB operatives aren't idiots. They know a thing or two about manipulating and distorting.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,987,291 times
Quote:
I had a feeling you were going to come back with this. Buzzard, our media is not perfect -- lots of it has biases. Everyone should expose themselves to a wide variety of national and international media sources and think critically. To say RT is the equivalent of CNN or Fox News is extremely ignorant. No, it's the equivalent of this: Obama calls up the director of the CIA and says, "Hey Dave, get me your best information operations guys. I think I'm going to a launch a news service."

Research RT for yourself. This is not a reliable news service. Don't make yourself into Putin's useful idiot by treating it like it is. It's list of critics is not just one source. It's literally every reliable, established, respected news source (German, American and British.. that I know of) that has looked at RT critically. Yes, it might look like news ... and yes, it might look "middle of the road" -- that's because ex KGB operatives aren't idiots. They know a thing or two about manipulating and distorting.
Seriously?

Have you tracked their stories? After you've done that for a yr. or two. Come back and tell me how many times that RT gets it wrong.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Seriously?

Have you tracked their stories? After you've done that for a yr. or two. Come back and tell me how many times that RT gets it wrong.
Why not just rely on unbiased expert opinion about it -- which comes from multiple, global sources from a wide range of the political spectrum? I think that is giving a news "source" that was launched by an ex KGB officer who just won a very dubious "election" more merit than it deserves. RT is directly controlled by Directorate A of the the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service. I'm sure if the CIA launched America Today and operated in a similar fashion you'd be the first to denounce it as ridiculous propoganda (as you should). Again, I am not saying that this story is necessarily untrue ... don't know.. but what I do know is that I will not take this source's word for it, or for anything else ... and neither should you.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Wow, I can't comprehend the bigotry in this thread. Perhaps we should bomb Kansas and see what they think of it, considering most of the moronic rhetoric is coming from Kansas posters.

KUchief, its people like you who make me ashamed to be in this country sometimes, try understanding the world a little bit better and try not to make such sweeping generalizations of an entire country and try to brush up on your history as well and understand that we armed the Taliban to fight off the Russians and are in power right now because they are the most supported group in the region.

How do you think they are capable of gaining power and support? Have you ever seen the video of women and villagers willingly cooking and treating wounds of Taliban soldiers?

That is their country and their land, they do no like outsiders coming in and bombing them and killing civilians. AKA the USA and NATO.

I mean christ try to grow a brain and view things without the American Exceptionalism pounded into your head. Its called being educated and informed.
If being educated is supporting the taliban and calling US soldiers every name in the book then call me stupid all day long.

Willingly cooking? LOL. Yeah if they don't they will be killed and make sure you wear that burka straight and don't look anybody in the eye and don't let ten of em rape you or you didn't try and stop em hard enough so you will be killed.

Now you even advocate bombing Kansas? I surely hope that the DHS has you in their sites.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:50 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,505 times
Quote:

In much fewer words, this is exactly what I meant. Thanks for taking the time where I didn't to explain it.

I agree with all your following posts/replies following that one.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM

679 posts, read 661,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If being educated is supporting the taliban and calling US soldiers every name in the book then call me stupid all day long.

Willingly cooking? LOL. Yeah if they don't they will be killed and make sure you wear that burka straight and don't look anybody in the eye and don't let ten of em rape you or you didn't try and stop em hard enough so you will be killed.

Now you even advocate bombing Kansas? I surely hope that the DHS has you in their sites.
It's called sarcasm, you should look up the term.

Also going in and trying to promote western rights in a completely different country doesn't work.

Americans seem to think they are always right and can do no wrong. These wars have proved otherwise and the Reagan era of foreign policy is also great proof of how wrong conservatives are on foreign policy.

Realist politics don't work in the long run.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:

So far you has said zero about the content of their news reports. All yoi have done is attempt to demonize RT by labeling them and/or linking them to boogie men. Same old BS, when you don't like the content, attack the messenger, when you cannot attack the message or the messenger tie them to a distasteful "enemy".

I don't buy any of your BS. I don't see Putin or Russia as a boogie men bad guys. For way to long our country, the media and the history book writers have feed us a line on many of the countries around the world. I find the news from other countries refreshing and often enlighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies