Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

People are throwing the power to arrest very loosely. Although we have a right to a speedy trial often times in murder cases especially it can take years to go to trial. At which time if an individual can't post bail they are incarcerated and even if they do post bail their life is in virtual suspension, try getting a job while you;re awaiting trial for murder.

The power to arrest is very serious and is rightfully protected in the Constitution. There needs to be clear evidence to charge/arrest Zimmerman and I'm not seeing it.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
This did not occur at 2AM. The police report is attached. Go through it and you'll see the facts. The time of the event is significant compared with your assertion that the shooting occurred at 2 AM. You're pretty over emotional about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
For what we are arguing here on CD, the time of the event is irrelevant...unless, of course, it was 2 am..I wouldn't advise my son to walk to the store @ 2am...that's just me.

"OMGZZZ Zimmerman killed him cuz he was BLACKKK and had SKITTLEZZ....GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY GIVE HIM THE INJECTIONZ"

Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wonder if the people who think Zimmerman should NOT have been arrested also believe that Troy Davis should NOT have been arrested.
That's a very good question.

In Troy Davis' case he definitely should not have been executed IMO. Based
on inital eye witness accounts of shooting of the cop, Troy should not have
been arrested either. But then they claimed they had other incidents to show suspicion....

I think in the case of Zimmerman, they should have had an immediate arrest, pending thorough investigation.

With that said, what happens shortly thereafter an incident, with non interested party witness' account - usually is the closest you can get to the "real truth" IMO. Non interested parties really don't have much time to "invent things".

There's not enough evidence yet in Zimmerman's case to determine guilt.
In Troy's. he was not guilty IMO by the perponderance of the evidence.

But then I'm one of the few that thought O.J. Simpson and Scott Peterson were innoncent of murder based on evidence presented. So,
what do I know.

I do know though, we've become a national jury without facts.
THE MSM should really be ashamed and so should folks
who believe everything they hear from that little box.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Maybe you do, if you feel threat of great bodily harm or threat of being killed by that person or if they continue to pummel you relentlessly.
I am 58 and don't feel I can fend off an attack by a younger man and I do carry a gun legally. I don't think I would hesitate to use it if I felt threatened.

It is entirely possible Zimmerman felt threatened after taking a continued beating from the young man. Had the young man let up and backed off, it is possible he would still be alive.
How do we know he didn't?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:38 AM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I am not you cannot arrest people willy nilly you need evidence there is little evidence to charge let alone convict Zimmerman. Killing an unarmed person is not by itself an automatic arrest charge. The prosecution and/or police have to have credible evidence to charge someone.
Arresting someone for killing somebody is not arresting people "willy nilly."

Quote:
You can gain this much from watching a couple episodes of First 48.
Or you could go to law school.

Quote:
Often times the circumstantial evidence and witness statements lead police to a certain suspect but unless they get a confession and absent some physical evidence they often times let the suspect go.
Yeah, this is true. Except in cases where a corpse is lying on the ground and the alleged perpetrator is still on the scene.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
I wonder if Whites provide similar instructions to their kids to be leery of Blacks in regards to being victims of crime? After all there is overwhelming statistical evidence to back up their concerns where there is nothing but anecdotal evidence to back up the instructions described by the father in the article.
No, that would be racist.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

It is entirely possible Zimmerman felt threatened after taking a continued beating from the young man. Had the young man let up and backed off, it is possible he would still be alive.
Had Zimmerman stayed in his car, they'd both be alive. And Zimmerman wouldn't be bankrupting his family with an all but inevitable murder/manslaughter trial.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Thanks for staying on the legal issues. Here's the statute:

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, [the syg law] s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force,... As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

This does seem to place the burden on the dead person. When combined with the sgy law, I can see why 'justifiable homicides' have tripled.
I realize what the Florida SYG statute may say and how it may be enforced, but it simply cannot be enacted and enforced in such a way. Perhaps the controversies that have arisen under the law have yet to force a legal challenge to the legislation itself, but maybe this will be the case that does it. It just seems that there is a huge potential for unconstitutional mischief the way that this law appears to be written and the way it appears to have been enforced in Florida.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Arresting someone for killing somebody is not arresting people "willy nilly."

Or you could go to law school.

Yeah, this is true. Except in cases where a corpse is lying on the ground and the alleged perpetrator is still on the scene.
All law schools are not equal in fact I believe a group of failed law students were trying to sue their school for misleading them.
Lincoln was self-taught you can sit for the bar without ever setting foot in a law school in some states.

At any rate is your position that anytime someone is killed by another they should be arrested for murder first and the truth determined later?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
This did not occur at 2AM. The police report is attached. Go through it and you'll see the facts. The time of the event is significant compared with your assertion that the shooting occurred at 2 AM. You're pretty over emotional about this.
I've ceded....a long time ago.....that it wasn't 2 am. Read the rest of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies