Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Oh, and I forgot genius, the millions who are uninsured, what is it now--forty million? I suppose they're happy with their insurance too. 80% my ass.
40 million equals about 12 to 13%. I continue to lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Ok, two hospitals, 10 year waiting period then. By the way I'm not a liberal, I'm a realist. Our current HCS sucks, that is real. No, I'm not particularly fond of Obama's "forced to purchase for-profit insurance" to line the pockets of wall street scum and investors, that is real too. By the way Obama's plan is a rehash of an old republican plan and a current republican presidential candidate--that's for real also!
No, that's 2 hospitals from 2 people in different areas of the country. That doesn't mean ONLY 2 hospitals in the U.S., it means I named one and someone else named one.

Get a freaking grip. If I decided actually LOOK UP free hospitals, I am SURE I could fine more.

Besides, please remember, this child, the topic of this particular thread, is 9 years old, which means he was getting treatment YEARS before obambacare was in existence, and the parents aren't broke... That says something also.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
No, that's 2 hospitals from 2 people in different areas of the country. That doesn't mean ONLY 2 hospitals in the U.S., it means I named one and someone else named one.

Get a freaking grip. If I decided actually LOOK UP free hospitals, I am SURE I could fine more.

Besides, please remember, this child, the topic of this particular thread, is 9 years old, which means he was getting treatment YEARS before obambacare was in existence, and the parents aren't broke... That says something also.
St. Jude's is a research hospital; you have to be referred there by your doctor b/c your condition is being researched there. Your hospital in Norfolk is a standard children's hospital. They do everything they can to get people on Medicaid before offering any discounts, and the free care is given only to a few very low-income people.

As someone rightly pointed out, most of the care this child (or anyone) needs takes place out of hospital, anyway.

My guess would be the child is on Medicaid, having exhausted his insurance benefits.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Funny how people's experiences are so different. I can't think of one military person who has not been happy with their va treatment. I live in the DC area and have many family members and friends who say differently. However I'm sure their are those who are not. As far as shrinks are concerned, my wife who is very ill, this in fact has happened to her several times. This-- using for-profit HMO insurance. They simply did not want the expense of treating her illness and even proclaimed they never heard of her condition before. So, I guess they thought she was a nut and somehow conveyed this to her doctors who where under contract with said HMO. She is totally disabled from a "real" neurological condition.
Well? I can name an "X": military member, who while active duty was not happy with his medical treatment.

1. Broken ankle. Cast - xrays after time went by showed break healed.

2. Advised, week after week, the doctor, something was wrong, i was still unable to walk on my right foot/ankle properly

3. Week after week, xray after another, showed no break.

4. NINE months later a Bone scan done with radioactice calcium, showed MAJOR activity in the ankle. Further testing showed a small bone fragments in the joint itself. Now we have ankle surgery to clean the joint, remove an "Os Trigonum (sp)", and do some other stuff, i don't understand.

5. Six weeks later, still can't walk on right foot.

6. Four more months of physical torture err therapy, not better, another bone scan, shows big problems, stress xray shows the heel and the leg bone at 15 degree offset instead of being perpendicular to one another.

7. Another surgery, reef up the anterior talor fibular (sp) ligament, more bone fragments , another 2 months healing, and 6 months later, discharge, they decided they cannot fix the ankle.

8. 10 years of active duty, U.S. Submarine forces, and I get, See ya, aloha.

9. During the past 21 years, because of the ankle, Limping and impacting all joints, and I have fallen so many times, I tore the ACL in my right knee, damaged the left knee, developed DJD in the left ankle and knee, and recently my right leg buckled and I broke my hand so badly falling, that I had to have it pins put in it to hold the joint in the correct position so it could heal properly.

While MOST military doctors are good, had my right ankle ligament issues and bone fragments been dealt with faster than 9 months and another several months after that, and not having me walk on it with all those problems, I would have completed not only my 20 but more, because I ENJOYED my job in the Navy!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
It's interesting that a Country like Taiwan has a far better health system now than the United States.
It took Kuwait a year to get the new system up and running and they even said they looked at the American plan to see what NOT to do and now have a amazing health system.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Well? I can name an "X": military member, who while active duty was not happy with his medical treatment.

1. Broken ankle. Cast - xrays after time went by showed break healed.

2. Advised, week after week, the doctor, something was wrong, i was still unable to walk on my right foot/ankle properly

3. Week after week, xray after another, showed no break.

4. NINE months later a Bone scan done with radioactice calcium, showed MAJOR activity in the ankle. Further testing showed a small bone fragments in the joint itself. Now we have ankle surgery to clean the joint, remove an "Os Trigonum (sp)", and do some other stuff, i don't understand.

5. Six weeks later, still can't walk on right foot.

6. Four more months of physical torture err therapy, not better, another bone scan, shows big problems, stress xray shows the heel and the leg bone at 15 degree offset instead of being perpendicular to one another.

7. Another surgery, reef up the anterior talor fibular (sp) ligament, more bone fragments , another 2 months healing, and 6 months later, discharge, they decided they cannot fix the ankle.

8. 10 years of active duty, U.S. Submarine forces, and I get, See ya, aloha.

9. During the past 21 years, because of the ankle, Limping and impacting all joints, and I have fallen so many times, I tore the ACL in my right knee, damaged the left knee, developed DJD in the left ankle and knee, and recently my right leg buckled and I broke my hand so badly falling, that I had to have it pins put in it to hold the joint in the correct position so it could heal properly.

While MOST military doctors are good, had my right ankle ligament issues and bone fragments been dealt with faster than 9 months and another several months after that, and not having me walk on it with all those problems, I would have completed not only my 20 but more, because I ENJOYED my job in the Navy!
I do realize that the VA most likely can not have the best doctors in the world at one given time. As far as broken bones not being detected I've heard the same complaints from those in the private sector. But lets face it why is there a VA in the first place? Private for-profit wants no part of covering those whose job is extremely risky. Same goes for the disabled and the elderly. Not to mention the poor or those who are quickly becoming poor. VA, medicare, medicaid. Can you blame them? They are what they are. Now, if you've got moderate high blood pressure you may get red flagged. Who the hell needs that hassle!
I remember just after 9-11 there was talk from health-insurance companies who might deny care to those hurt by that attack, why? Look at the bylaws every for-profit health insurance company. They have the right to deny coverage to those injured from an act of war or war itself. They didn't pursue it for obvious reasons.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Why can't America look at other options for health care and pick the best from what the World has to offer and reject things that don't work?
In many other Countries there has aways been a fear of Change, much like here in the USA, yet when change has happened they often realise that the fear of change was far worse than the actual change.
We have to understand who is actually kicking against change in health care here and why.
We all know that the health system in the USA is awful and affects millions deterementally yet many are happy for it to take up so much of our spending, for example...................
Spending on Pharmaceuticals per capita..............
UK............................. $381
Switzerland................. $500
USA........................... $919
American health care takes up one fifth of the American economy and yet fails millions.
Our health care standards are dropping and dropping........... It is estimated that around 100,000 patients die every year in the USA from a infection that they got in a Hospital here... not good by anyone's standards.
Too many are being affected today by having a health system that is controlled by private health insurance that has no accountability and work simply for profit. This system does not work and must be changed otherwise many many many many of us will die unecessarilly because of money and not a critical illness.
I'm sure America is capable of looking at all the options but NOT if the big corporations have any say in the matter.............. Don't be "hoodwinked" America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies