Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

I don't think there will be a trial. Legal analysts have suggested that the case must be very weak since prosecutors have not leveled charges against Zimmerman in the month since the killing.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I know black people who do not want to live in an all black neighborhood because of crime and break ins.. they are afraid of their own...It has been like that for decades.. there is plenty of black on black killings and getting worse.

One black guy says he won't go out at night because of the gun shots her hears. Can anyone realize the blacks should clean up their act and stop shooting each other and acting like thugs breaking in to peoples homes?

I am sure there are plenty of good blacks who don't want to live in the neighborhoods with the thugs.It is the thugs that make it bad on all blacks.

Can anyone be adult enough to see that.. if black people want respect , they better lean on their own who act like thugs making it hell for the black decent person who is not a thug.

You know there is truth in that.
I've been saying the same thing on the board for awhile and have been denounced as an Uncle Tom, self hating Black person. Even though my parents are from Ghana and was not raised in the African-American tradtion. Obama and I have this in common and we are bother better off for it.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Like I said, it is the fanatics and extremists that want this.
more like admit to wanting it......

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Self defense laws were created to protect people in imminent danger from aggressors. Just the fact that you're following someone rules out imminent danger, and makes you the aggressor.

It's really upsetting to me that Z has so many hordes of supporters, and to me that indicates that America has a serious race problem, and honestly I didn't think so until this past week.

F*** Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Zimmerman is a nut with a criminal history who should never be defended by any sane person.

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Know what, you are so dang politically correct. Where the hell is the news on this story. Why haven't we head about this. This is just as bad.

No matter who is doing these sorts of acts, should be told by the media. But by this time we all know why, this one has not made it to the big stage. Wrong color victim. This is starting to get sick.
The media it appears picks and chooses what storys will be aired, but in any case where this is something like this story happening, to any child, or teen of any color, is so wrong, not to tell the story.
Sometimes i think the media is at fault for the racisim still going on strong.
Right, and the PP knows this story how, if it wasn't reported? Face it, this particular story "went viral". There's no accounting for why some stories do and some don't.

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I question how Zimmerman was able to chamber the gun and pull the trigger with Trayvon on top of him, or maybe it was already chambered.

Your ability to do massive damage to someone doesn't directly correlate to anyone elses ability to do the same damage. People move, people block, some can fight, some can't.
You bring up an interesting point.

Was Zimmerman's safety on prior to approaching Trayvon?
Did he take the safety off as he followed Trayvon?

Most folks that I know who carry have their weapons on safety to prevent an accidental shooting.

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Jesse Jackson isn’t in any way similar to the New Black Panthers. Just because you disagree with him about his approach to fighting for civil rights don’t try and marginalize him with lies and false associations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I believe everyone should be ashamed at their conduct. Inciting violence is not the way to go. Unfortuantly I don't think this situation will end well, I pray everynight for peace and cooler heads to prevail

George Zimmerman deserves a trial by a jury of his peers in a court of law ... not a monkey trial by an angry mob riled up by Jesse Jackass and the New Black Panthers.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The Facts as I know them:

Fact 1) You have an over zealous do gooder - not illegal.

Fact 2) Zimmerman is carrying a gun - in his case not illegal.

Fact 3) He suspects someone to be up to no good - not illegal. This is based on past and simlilar crimes in his neigborhood or racism - the former more likely. The latter will be hard to prove and seems unlikely.

Fact 4) He calls 911 and disregards the dispatchers advice not to follow Treyvon and follows him so he does not get away before the police arrive - stupid but not illegal. This seem obvious by the 911 call when Zimmerman said 'they always get away with this.' The 'they' seems to be a reference to the past criminal activity not black people per-se.

Fact 5) He confronts Treyvon to question him and/or detain him until police arrive - confronting him and asking him questions is not illegal - detaining him and holding him when no crime has been committed is illegal. THIS IS WHERE WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. As such there is no proof of criminal activity on Zimmereman's part to this point.

If Teyvon thought he was in danger he might have attacked Zimmerman or was pissed that he was being questioned and trying to be detained and attacked Zimmerman. Once again no one knows.

Fact 6) Zimmerman was getting beat-up by Treyvon and felt his life was in danger and shot and killed Treyvon - not illegal.

These are the facts - as such no arrest was made - only questioning.

Zimmerman's questioning did not result in contradicting those facts.

As further investigation goes forward Zimmerman may be arrested and if so the most I see him being convicted of is manslaughter not Pre-meditated murder, assasination, hate crime, etc. etc.

Most likely he may have to deal with civil liability for his stupidity and negligence.

As to all the racial and political rhetoric - pure BS - this is almost as tragic as Treyvon's death and might turn out to be more so after the investigation is done.

That's the way I see it - but then again I am White so I am by nature racist and unable to discern the facts and more likely to side with a Jewish Latino than an African American. I can't help it!

Thanks for the input. My question goes back to your fact 5, where we don't know what happened? Why when the 911 operator told him not to follow did he continue? Given that there had been some burglaries in the neighborhood, is it possible that he recognized Treyvon as the potential burglar, and then went to confront him when he saw him walking down the street? Or was he just profiling? No matter, what the tragedy here is a 17 year old kid is dead, whether by his own doing, or by a guy who was overzealous and overreacted. Truly sad. I hope that cooler heads prevail here while all of the facts are sorted out.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Why did Trayvon look suspicious? Only the killer knows and if he's ever asked in court, he'll probably lie his arse off. He definitely had time to think of them.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Why did he look suspicious? Because the incident happened in a gated community. Do you know what that is? It's where people live in a place where it's supposed to be a little safer and locked down to keep people out that have no business being there.

So when Zimmerman sees somebody he does not recognize walking around it's only normal to think maybe this person is up to no good. When you factor in people also where hoodies to block there face! Have you ever seen somebody rob a gas station with a hoodie!!?? It might even lead to more suspicion. There are local stores where I live that will not let you in the store if you have your hoodie on because it will block the view of cameras.

Nobody likes stereotypes but you know what? Most of the time stereotypes don't lie. Sure you get some people who dress like crap or ghetto that are college graduates that have never committed a crime in there life. But they are probably a small % that do that actually support that claim.

If people didn't follow up on stereotypes and actually take some thought into them a lot more people would be robbed and killed in this world. So spare me the comments about how we should ignore stereotypes because most of the time they are more head on than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies