Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM

7,513 posts, read 5,756,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I call for a Federal Ban on Jesse Jackson's entire family tree.
Hey, abortion is certainly a viable option to stop the growth.. Liberals sanction it as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Maybe Zimmerman did just that and got punched for his efforts....we dont know yet...the truth will eventually come out
Unlikely...one side of 'the truth' is dead, and witnesses didnt appear until after the shooting.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hm, so if someone walks around within a gated community, isn't it safe to assume that they belong there? Otherwise there would have been an alarm at their entry I suppose.

Still, a neighborhood watch is a bunch of normal civilians, isn't it? I don't have to talk to civilians if I don't feel like it. If they do work for the police and wear a uniform, things are different.
Yes they are just civilians and on top of that,the biggest PITA's to LEOs on the street...I got to were I almost despised those clowns,but the Sheriff was up for re-election and you had to ply it cool with them.

You would be on the other end of the county working something and dispatch would call"A suspicious white truck reported by NCW volunteers at such and such"...drop what you are doing,run 100mph to get there(only two on duty at nights) and get there,meet with the idiots and then find the truck parked in a driveway with a GIANT sign on the side of it saying"Billy Bob's Heating and Cooling and a guy working on someone's A/C...leave there and an hour later another one would report it on it's way back out ...just an example of how absolutely worthless for the most part.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Hm, so if someone walks around within a gated community, isn't it safe to assume that they belong there? Otherwise there would have been an alarm at their entry I suppose. Still, a neighborhood watch is a bunch of normal civilians, isn't it? I don't have to talk to civilians if I don't feel like it. If they do work for the police and wear a uniform, things are different.
A gated community is entirely private property, all of it, the streets, sidewalks and homes. Is there some magic alarm that goes off when someone jumps a wall? If he was wandering through private streets, ran, and then punched the guy, we can safely assume he wasn't there to eat his skittles. Civilians can legally protect their private property with force if needed - if you're in a private community, wandering aimlessly, and someone asks you why you're there... you may want to comply, or suffer the same consequences.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Regardless of this case, why is it ok for anyone to ask anyone else what they are doing on public streets? I would answer that that's none of their business, frankly.

This is a GATED community with an organized neighborhood watch program meaning there are probably signs posted everywhere. Zimmermand was granted the authority to question strangers by the HOA. That neighborhood had a history of criminal activity and Zimmerman said on the 911 call that it looked like Martin (stranger) was casing the homes.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
This is a GATED community with an organized neighborhood watch program meaning there are probably signs posted everywhere. Zimmermand was granted the authority to question strangers by the HOA. That neighborhood had a history of criminal activity and Zimmerman said on the 911 call that it looked like Martin (stranger) was casing the homes.
He doesn't even need their authority. He can do so as I private citizen independently.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
It sounds to me like this Zimmerman guy considered himself a hero that had to defend his community against every threat possible. As far as I am concerned, based on the evidence, he pulled the trigger on an unarmed person. That warrents a criminal investigation at least.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aaah yes, being more civilized means going back to the days of the O.K corrall and everyone having a gun. SOOOO much more civilized now in 2012!

People were armed in the Old West because law enforcement was very limited on non-existent in towns that had no sheriff. Most people used guns for hunting for FOOD and shooting animal threats to their livestock.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
A gated community is entirely private property, all of it, the streets, sidewalks and homes. Is there some magic alarm that goes off when someone jumps a wall? If he was wandering through private streets, ran, and then punched the guy, we can safely assume he wasn't there to eat his skittles. Civilians can legally protect their private property with force if needed - if you're in a private community, wandering aimlessly, and someone asks you why you're there... you may want to comply, or suffer the same consequences.
Yet another odd development. First people screw up society, and then they feel the need to hide away from it. I would feel like in a prison in one of those gated communities

Plus, I am not so sure a gated community allows everyone to ask everyone else why they are there. That would be a profiler's (here a euphemism for racist) paradise.
Here it says they will report anything or anyone suspicious to the police, not that they actually do anything:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._in_Durham.jpg

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A person can use lethal force if they are being pounded in the face especially in a defenseless position.
Sorry, zimmerman would have had more than just a bloody nose if he was being 'pounded in the face'.

More witnesses said zimmerman was on top of martin; ONE person said the opposite.

We already know that zimmerman stalked martin. Martin was on the phone and his girlfriend heard someone challenge him and Martin asking the person why he was following him.

My theory: zimmerman got too close to martin, maybe even making as if to grab him. Martin pushed and/or took a punch at zimmerman to get away from him. That's when he got the bloody nose. They grappled. zimmerman fell down and that's when he got the moisture on the back of his coat. Being 100 pounds heavier than Martin, he got on top of him and shot him.

Any way it can be looked at, Zimmerman was in the wrong. He pursued Martin. Martin was not pursuing him.

Even Jeb Bush agrees that the Stand Your Ground law does not apply to this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies