Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Making a law in regards to clothing would not only be ridiculous, but put us one step closer to a full on police state. The government telling you what you can and cannot wear...why would anyone want that? Do people not think any more? As if our freedoms aren't already being stripped away, we have ordinary people trying to expedite the process.
Of course it's stupid, the point is why.

Can black and Hispanic teens not wear them so they can avoid getting shot???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have friends who have nicknamed me "Unabomber" because I wear a hoodie - this has become my standard Halloween costume - complete with sunglasses.

Bank robbery suspects often look like me.

I will walk into a bar wearing my hoodie and when the phone rings say "If that is my probation officer - tell him I am not here" - and people find it humorous.

Does the hoodie have a negative connotation? Yes. Should it be banned? NO.
Oops. I wear sunglasses too. Sunglasses, hoodie, baggy pants. Somehow people haven't mistaken me for a postal case this whole time.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Mayor of Philadelphia doesn't like hoodies and baggie pants... he says go buy a belt.

Michael Nutter - Mayor of Philadelphia Church Speech Sunday August 7, 2011 - YouTube

Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Yes, let's blame the latest media circus on a garment. Those nasty hoodies, always stealing cars and burglarizing homes. Of course, if they're empty... they can't do anything.

I KNOW! Let's make them wear burqas instead!

Saggy pants are trashy, but nothing worth banning. If they want to appear that way, let them. Doesn't mean you have to deal with them.
Ok, now the big hairy azz staring at me, i mean, this was no little sight, this was full blown crack and then the pants slipped ok. At lowes, looking for what i needed, i got more then a free show.
Actually a burqas on his butt, probably would not have hepled much.
This was the type of guy who is walking knows his pants are below the knees, and keeps walking, till his pants fell down. Actually kind of funny.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No, but droopy below your azz pants should be.
Agree!! But seriously, I majored in semiotics in college, and how a person dresses and moves does affect how others think of them. First impressions are important.

It's not about banning hoodies, but I do think that a lot of people need to start dressing like civilized human beings, and stop trying to style themselves as all cool and hip. Dressing in a hoodie and walking with a ghetto shuffle with your pants falling off your @ss is for losers.

Hoodies shouldn't be some all purpose clothing that is lived in seven days a week. And hoodies aren't that good as rain gear. The sweatshirt material only soaks of the raindrops. Maybe if Trayvon had been wearing a polo shirt, khaki pants and with an umbrella, Zimmerman wouldn't have been so suspicious of him.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Agree!! But seriously, I majored in semiotics in college, and how a person dresses and moves does affect how others think of them. First impressions are important.

It's not about banning hoodies, but I do think that a lot of people need to start dressing like civilized human beings, and stop trying to style themselves as all cool and hip. Dressing in a hoodie and walking with a ghetto shuffle with your pants falling off your @ss is for losers.

Hoodies shouldn't be some all purpose clothing that is lived in seven days a week. And hoodies aren't that good as rain gear. The sweatshirt material only soaks of the raindrops. Maybe if Trayvon had been wearing a polo shirt, khaki pants and with an umbrella, Zimmerman wouldn't have been so suspicious of him.
And do you know what I say to people who make assumptions about me based on what I'm wearing? "Who cares what you think, go jump in a lake you nitwit." (Not directed at you. This is what I say...although this is the cleaned up version for CD.)

If there is one thing that irritates the ever loving crap out of me is people saying we should all dress a certain way to be considered, "respectable". *******s! Dress how you want, even if you have your pants dangling around your knees, I don't give a damn. The clothes do not make the man.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 04-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Really? That's a curse word? REALLY?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Nation & World | Teen's death puts spotlight on symbols wrapped up in hoodie | Seattle Times Newspaper

Says longtime liberal commentator Geraldo Rivera:

“I am urging the parents of black and Latino youngsters particularly not to let their children go out wearing hoodies. I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin‘s death as much as George Zimmerman was.

As a Seattle Times commenter notes, it is a very high profit item for corporate America. Three tubes of fabric sewn togther, along with a hood and flap pocket, and selling for as much as $100.

Isn't this basically an assault style garment? Isn't it time to consider a ban. Remember when Al Gore called for a federal ban on this type of garment? Did he have it right?
Washingtonpost.com: Gore Unveils an Anti-Crime Initiative
Soory but Rivera is as conservative as they come, thats why he works for Fox news. As far as the hoodie being banned, now conservative want to tell us how to dressout in public!!!!!! So much for smaller government by conservatives.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And do you know what I say to people who make assumptions about me based on what I'm wearing? "Who cares what you think, go jump in a lake you nitwit." (Not directed at you. This is what I say...although this is the cleaned up version for CD.)

If there is one thing that irritates the ever loving crap out of me is people saying we should all dress a certain way to be considered, "respectable". *******s! Dress how you want, even if you have your pants dangling around your knees, I don't give a damn. The clothes do not make the man.
I don't care if you don't like the opinions of others about what you wear. However, it is a fact that others are going to make opinions based on their personal observations.

And as long as someone persists in wearing hoodies, baggie pants or shorts and acting all ghetto cool, and not able to dress in a mature civilized way when it is important to... then the rest of society is not going to welcome them with open arms. And dressing poorly is one reason that some aren't employable. Another reason is if they speak like trash.

I am truly sorry over the Treyvon shooting, but at the same time, I lost some outrage over the incident once I realize that the first pictures posted of Treyvon by his family were of him when he was only 12 years old. That was dirty underhanded media and public manipulation in my book. And I was disgusted by Obama's comment about how Treyvon looked like he could have been his son. Everyone needs to chillout and let the grand jury do its job.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,569 times
Hoodies ? Seriously ??? They can have mine over my dead body.

Now what they SHOULD ban is the Squal*Mart look. You know the one. Tight midriff bearing top over extremely low cut TIGHT jeans, complete with muffin top and gut hanging over the "waist" of the jeans. Now I'm a big girl myself but I would be mortified to dress like that in public. I don't even think it looks good on thin women..it just screams "skanky" to me.

That and the pajamas out in public thing. Ugh...everytime I go there (usually under duress) I feel like I need an hour long scrubbing afterwards.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Soory but Rivera is as conservative as they come, thats why he works for Fox news. As far as the hoodie being banned, now conservative want to tell us how to dressout in public!!!!!! So much for smaller government by conservatives.
If you think Geraldo is a conservative, then you need to pay closer attention to what he says. He is liberal in everything he says. Advising young blacks to dress in a manner that does not invite suspicious scrutiny is neither "liberal" nor "conservative". It is simply good advice.

As for banning the hoodie--it'll never happen and no one with an ounce of sense would even think of it.

P.S. Alan Colmes is even more liberal than Geraldo and he works for Fox News. So does Juan Williams and Bob Beckel. Fox consistently has people from across the political spectrum appearing on their shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies