Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
But even zimmerman has proved that 1% can cost a life!
I don't believe it's that simple in this case.

But aside from that--in all honesty, young black men have higher rates of violent crime. Instead of blaming "racism" for that perception, that specific issue needs to be addressed and dealt with. If young black men don't like the negative perception that they are receiving then they have to demonstate this with their actions. Talk is cheap.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
How many times was Z's specific community a target of crime? I think that would be a factor regarding his zeal to follow and his comment recorded on 911. I admit my similar gated but open community has never had a burglary.

NB: Late post #777 above echoed my thoughts

Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
In that neighborhood - yes, a young black male would be suspicious.

If all those burglaries were committed by elderly Chinese women in babushkas, and I saw someone who matched the description I would say they were a suspcisious character too.

That would be common sense.
And when you reported their activities to the police would you disregard what you were told to do and still use a racial slur? Now that I think of it your comment made me think of something. Trayvon's father lived there as well and I can safely assume that there are other blacks, were they all looked at the same way by zimmerman?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
^^Z did say n****r on the recording? I thought it was inaudible.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
And when you reported their activities to the police would you disregard what you were told to do and still use a racial slur? Now that I think of it your comment made me think of something. Trayvon's father lived there as well and I can safely assume that there are other blacks, were they all looked at the same way by zimmerman?
I'm not quite convinced that he used a racial slur. I'm also not convinced on who is actually screaming on the 911 tape. I'll reserve my judgement on both of those issues until people who have much more experience and access to the right electronics make THEIR decision on who it is in each instance.

In the right circumstance in that particular neighborhood, a young black male would be looked at with suspicon.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
That I will not speculate on but, It is known that he had probelms with blacks and he has a history of violence
Not sure about either of those things. Think maybe you are dealing in unconfirmed speculation. I heard his black friend say on TV last weekend that he was not a racist and have heard that his family includes blacks. Also if we want to deal in character assassination, Martin had been suspended from school for marijuana possession. So it cuts both ways.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
According to his logic then all young black males are suspicous which in this world is called "Racial Profiling"
Therefore also using this logic I should go down to pretty much any bank and start following white males in suits, since there has been a rash of bank fraud and misrepresentations by them.
Your 'logic' doesn't follow from the post you responded to. In fact, your 'logic' makes it near impossible to discuss the issue sensibly.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
He looked "suspicious" to Zimmerman that night as there had been a rash of burglaries in that community in the last year - most committed by young, black males.
Please provide some documentation.

Quote:
I'm not quite convinced that he used a racial slur. I'm also not convinced on who is actually screaming on the 911 tape. I'll reserve my judgement on both of those issues until people who have much more experience and access to the right electronics make THEIR decision on who it is in each instance.

In the right circumstance in that particular neighborhood, a young black male would be looked at with suspicon.
Why? Was it a "whites only" complex, or a "no kids under 18" complex?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't believe it's that simple in this case.

But aside from that--in all honesty, young black men have higher rates of violent crime. Instead of blaming "racism" for that perception, that specific issue needs to be addressed and dealt with. If young black men don't like the negative perception that they are receiving then they have to demonstate this with their actions. Talk is cheap.
So we as blacks have to "prove" something that the majority of us are not, violent criminals? I have teenage sons and they have never done anything illegal so why in the hell do they have to "prove" anything to anyone? Everyone should judge on who they are and not what they are.
I don't hear anyone to asked midlle age white guys to "prove" that they are not the sterotypical child molesters

Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute

Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
He looked "suspicious" to Zimmerman that night as there had been a rash of burglaries in that community in the last year - most committed by young, black males.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Your 'logic' doesn't follow from the post you responded to. In fact, your 'logic' makes it near impossible to discuss the issue sensibly.
You said that zimmerman said that Trayvon looked "suspicious" my response is why? Because he was black? If you are going to lump all blacks in with the bad few why does'nt this also apply to whites and other races?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies