Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 02:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

The only thing that is going to matter is forensics.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Probably did not have an alcohol problem. The courts just assume that everyone who has an alcohol related offense can use alcohol counseling. The fact is a lot of 21 year olds (and 17 year olds) do stupid stuff.
This is a post I agree with, however, unless it's a different charge, the counseling included anger management. I don't drink a lot and have never been in trouble with the law, but since he was in a bar when he assaulted the law enforcement officer and he yelled profanity too, he was probably drunk. It doesn't mean he's an alcoholic, however.

If he is a recovering alcoholic, we should not be using that against him. I know people who did a lot of crazy stuff in their youth and are law abiding citizens now. However, the fact that his record clearly indicates he had previous arrests for violence makes me wonder why he wasn't tested for alcohol or drugs after the shooting. One person said the police need probable cause. True, but if you are stopped for erratic driving, an officer might ask you to take a breathalizer. A man was shot to death which, to me, is a lot more serious. You can't be forced to take a test, but in many states refusal automatically means license suspension or worse. Since Zimmerman was obviously driving that night, I don't see why asking for a chemical test wouldn't be reasonable.

Maybe we'll learn that Zimmerman was tested, but so far every report says he was not, only Martin was tested for drugs & alcohol. Of course, test the dead teenager who was unarmed and didn't have any drugs on him, but don't test his killer!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If you are a lawyer, I think you need to go back to school! So you're saying Zimmerman knew Trayvon Martin? How can you tell someone committed a crime just because he is walking down the road with iced tea? Where does he mention in one word during the 911 call that Trayvon is doing anything illegal? Was he staring into cars? Was he breaking into one of the residences?

Seriously, I doubt if Zimmerman's past felonies will be admissible, since he wasn't convicted, but that possibly would be opening the door - and that's a maybe. Trayvon had no police record whatsoever, not unless there's something we don't know about yet. If I were on a jury and someone mentioned a school suspension, unless there was an arrest that showed violent behavior, I would be shaking my head and wondering why the defense is bothering to mention it. O'Mara is not an idiot. He will never attempt to paint Trayvon Martin as a thug the way some of you are doing it on this forum. It would be in very bad taste.
In response to your original post where you stated I misquoted you:

Your words exactly....past felonies (the word arrest was not attached to your statement)

Quote:
What is your point, tiluha? On the one hand, *it's okay to mention that a teenager was caught with an empty bag of marijuana (OMG, shoot him!) and on the other, you are pointing out that Zimmerman had no violent past because he accepted a lesser charge.

The felony arrest was reduced to a misdemeanor because he agreed to take anger management classes. These charges were closed. You can copy & paste from various web sites, all you want, but expunged means no longer on record, erased. The domestic violence charges and restraining order expired.

Again, I doubt if any of this can be presented during a trial. We're not attorneys, but everyone seems to be playing one here.
*You're confused because I never posted or implied any such thing...My point was that GZ does NOT have a felony CONVICTION record, if that clears it up for you...

Quote:
The same goes for you. Edward said that Trayvon's high school records could be mentioned at trial. I said that would never happen but might open the door for the prosecution to mention Zimmerman's arrests, which are probably not admissible. Stop writing that I've said things that I did not. It only shows you are trying to be argumentative and have no intention of having a civil discussion.

By the way, there is a felony ON RECORD if you would only do your homework. It was reduced to a misdemeanor charge.
And yes, I am quite capable of having a civil, logical discussion...A FELONY "ARREST" RECORD IS FAR DIFFERENT THAN A FELONY "CONVICTION" RECORD...there now I did your homework for you

Last edited by tiluha; 04-14-2012 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: because I can :)

Old 04-14-2012, 02:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
A wannabee cop against a brash youth and the case will come down to who was stupid enough to strike the first blow.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM

96 posts, read 81,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
He had no police record. Zimmerman does.
Guaranteed, within a very short time he would have...urkiddin!

1. Caught on school surveillance camera in unauthorized area, hiding & being suspicious.
2. Getting caught red handed writing graffiti on school property.
3. Caught w/12 pcs. women jewerly
4. Caught w/ burglary tool
5. Suspended for tardiness & truancy
6. Caught w/ empty bag w/traces of marijuana & a pipe

So how long before he has a record So I wouldn't be pointing that finger at Zimmerman so proudly.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Broken nose reported by his lawyer and his father. If false, that wouldn't look good.
Lacerations all over the back of his head. Some seen on police video.
From what I understand, George had not seen either his father or his brother in years, either before the incident and not immediately after, and as far as I know, they never saw his injuries in person.

Unless there is something that I don't know, the only proof they have of George's injuries are what he told them himself - over the phone most likely.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddin View Post
Guaranteed, within a very short time he would have...urkiddin!
Yeah because we all know that teenagers who act up in high school NEVER EVER NEVER become upstanding citizens as adults. While you're looking into the futuristic alternate dimension can you also tell me the winning lotto numbers?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:54 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
After several thousand posts about this tragedy, one thing I find interesting is the same people who think the Sanford police completely screwed up this investigation have complete faith in the handling of Zimmerman's prior arrest, that resulted in no conviction.

Also, that Trayvon having a baggie with marijuana and a screwdriver with women's jewelry is just "kids being kids" but Zimmerman being arrested (but not convicted) of pushing someone while intoxicated when he was 20 or 21 makes him a violent, alcoholic felon.

I think they both made mistakes that night, and unfortunately, it led to a death. I feel bad for both families. The Martin's for losing their child, and the Zimmermans for the unfair way the media and some groups have handled this.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
After several thousand posts about this tragedy, one thing I find interesting is the same people who think the Sanford police completely screwed up this investigation have complete faith in the handling of Zimmerman's prior arrest, that resulted in no conviction.

Also, that Trayvon having a baggie with marijuana and a screwdriver with women's jewelry is just "kids being kids" but Zimmerman being arrested (but not convicted) of pushing someone while intoxicated when he was 20 or 21 makes him a violent, alcoholic felon.

I think they both made mistakes that night, and unfortunately, it led to a death. I feel bad for both families. The Martin's for losing their child, and the Zimmermans for the unfair way the media and some groups have handled this.
100% Spot On!!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times

THE BLACK HOLOCAUST - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies