Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some building and apartments ACCEPT section 8 but that doesn't mean everyone living there is using section 8. Some are paying the market rate. In my area it's usually mixed use so not to create any ghetto areas or complexes, ie: a certain percentage of units, etc.
They accept them b/c the town that let the developer build the complex HAD to provide for so much low-income housing in the complex.

If you're talking about rentals, that's a different issue. Anyone can get their rental approved for section 8...unless there is something in the bylaws of the home owner's association of the complex that won't allow it.

Or it could be a straight up crap building in a crap town where the landlord just wants rent and could give a crap who he/she gets rent from.

In my experience? It doesn't matter. You get a few section 8's in...the entire complex is screwed.

This is why I moved out of my townhouse. The vouchers that went out to a bunch of folks who got their New Brunswick, NJ version of Cabrini Greens knocked down...they moved in to my very nice and quiet development.

Gaggles of hoodlums hanging out on the corners of the development all night long. Breaks ins - to cars/homes...went way up - from zero. Had to put a lock on the playground and b-ball and tennis courts b/c they were being used as ash trays and 20-30 something gangsters wouldn't give the courts up for the kids (even the township kids who had designated PRACTICE time on the court). The tennis courts were demolished b/c apparently guys right out of jail tried to turn them in to bball courts, by ripping the nets down and using garbage cans on either end of the court as "goals". F'ing trash.

We moved. Quickly.

Section 8's come with a stigma that is well deserved. The few who don't fit the stigma, well, the rest ruined it for them.

I will NEVER rent to a section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
To claim that Section 8 housing is destroying communities is the height of idiocy. The only thing that keeps many urban dwellings from becoming derelict, burned out lots of urban blight is Section 8!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That, my friend, is the whole story, and she was darned proud of beating the system.
Maybe she lied about her income?

It does **** me off when someone on section 8 drives a better car than me and has better furniture then me,and then some brag about it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
You are WRONG.

I worked with a gal who made the same hourly wage as I. She had no kids. She drove a much nicer car than I. She was ecstatic when she qualified for Section 8. All the while, I was paying my mortgage, paying for homeowners insurance, and paying ridiculous property tax.

I reported her. Nothing happened. Life went on for both of us. The differences were she was black and I, as a white taxpaying citizen, paid my mortgage AND her rent.

Believe me, they know how to tweek the system.
So much wrong with this post, hard to believe any of it. Dude, you reported a coworker because???? Jealous? You didn't say how much you and her make, and are you sure she makes as much??? FYI, women make 70% of what men make.

Next, there are three income levels/subsidy levels. For anyone to get a significant subsidy you need to have a very low income, like $12k a year. Make more and that section 8 payment shrinks substantially.

Some like someone, YOU, made some stupid housing choices. Buried in mortgage debt isn't too bright. I lived below my means, paid my last mortgage payment over 20 years ago, and was able to retire in my early 50's.

Blacks don't have a special "in" down at HUD, it might be she a little smarter.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Gee, that too bad. Because just because someone lives in a section 8 building doesn't mean there getting section 8. You need to meet income qualifications to receive it. My 77 year old mom is in a section 8 building. If she work three days a week she's fine, if she works four days a week she loses a big chunk of the rent subsidy.

If that guy you dumped had a good job he wasn't getting a rent subsidy.... Oops.

And thats part of the problem right there. Gvmt making incentives for people to not work.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I think it's a wonderful idea to have people in the US homeless and living on the streets.
Think of the crime that it will stop.

National Alliance to End Homelessness: About Homelessness
Homelessness In America: Resource Center
Low Income Housing - How To Decide What's Right For You

Homelessness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Homeless Statistics - Homeless World Cup

I applaud your compassion!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Most REITs do include Section 8's. Thanks for the voice of reason. NAV$ is bottom line for the GOP.

Oh and OP Section 8's been around since the 70's so you cant really blame Obama.
No way the two of you liberals get away with this claim without a link.
Section 8 landlords tend to help marginal landlords who would have difficulty renting their apartments at market rate.

Section 8 also drives up housing costs for the working poor without vouchers. Since voucher holders drive up the price of the very marginal properties the working class could afford.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
You are WRONG.

I worked with a gal who made the same hourly wage as I. She had no kids. She drove a much nicer car than I. She was ecstatic when she qualified for Section 8. All the while, I was paying my mortgage, paying for homeowners insurance, and paying ridiculous property tax.

I reported her. Nothing happened. Life went on for both of us. The differences were she was black and I, as a white taxpaying citizen, paid my mortgage AND her rent.

Believe me, they know how to tweek the system.
Ah, nothing like the smell of racism in the morning with a cup of coffee.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Maybe they don't have an in but they are disproportionate voucher users. Anytime a waiting list opens up the lines are overwhelmingly Black even in cities where Blacks make up a fraction of the population. Not for nothing it is black section 8 holders who are spreading crime and their nonsense to formerly nice hoods. Then cry racism when they are called on it. The problem is a lot of the people calling them out are also black.
Quote:
So much wrong with this post, hard to believe any of it. Dude, you reported a coworker because???? Jealous? You didn't say how much you and her make, and are you sure she makes as much??? FYI, women make 70% of what men make.

Next, there are three income levels/subsidy levels. For anyone to get a significant subsidy you need to have a very low income, like $12k a year. Make more and that section 8 payment shrinks substantially.

Some like someone, YOU, made some stupid housing choices. Buried in mortgage debt isn't too bright. I lived below my means, paid my last mortgage payment over 20 years ago, and was able to retire in my early 50's.

Blacks don't have a special "in" down at HUD, it might be she a little smarter.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:

Blacks don't have a special "in" down at HUD,
Quote:
it might be she a little smarter.
More like she lied about her income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies