Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Is it ok for me to pay taxes so that you can pollut my water and air in order to make more money?

How am I doing both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
So let the churches deal with it.

So it is Christian to take money from the middle class and the wealthy to give it to the poor? Is that how it works?
Been tried and it did not work, you should read more history

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Yes, a proud "I stand on my own two feet and not on your back", kinda guy.

Thanks for the kudo's (even though you probably thought it was otherwise).
Same applies to me, the difference is I care about my fellow citizens, you obviously do not.
You can take it anyway you want, and so can everyone else that read your post

Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Wow couldn't get past page 3 without seeing a lot of misrepresentations of what HUD is and what it does and who is eligible for housing assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I doubt Romney would end HUD. He has no pair big enough. Romney saying he's going to cut departments is like Gingrich pledging to America in his "contract" that the DOE will be cut. Not gonna happen
First off, want to say ITA with this. Romney is only talking like this to try to pull in some Ron Paul voters and more conservative Republicans who think all poor people are raping the system. I predict he will go the way of McCain as he is not a genuine hard right conservative and his phoniness will be found out soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You are WRONG.

I worked with a gal who made the same hourly wage as I. She had no kids. She drove a much nicer car than I. She was ecstatic when she qualified for Section 8. All the while, I was paying my mortgage, paying for homeowners insurance, and paying ridiculous property tax.

I reported her. Nothing happened. Life went on for both of us. The differences were she was black and I, as a white taxpaying citizen, paid my mortgage AND her rent.

Believe me, they know how to tweek the system.
Your post is just hilarious!! See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
So much wrong with this post, hard to believe any of it. Dude, you reported a coworker because???? Jealous? You didn't say how much you and her make, and are you sure she makes as much??? FYI, women make 70% of what men make.

Next, there are three income levels/subsidy levels. For anyone to get a significant subsidy you need to have a very low income, like $12k a year. Make more and that section 8 payment shrinks substantially.

Some like someone, YOU, made some stupid housing choices. Buried in mortgage debt isn't too bright. I lived below my means, paid my last mortgage payment over 20 years ago, and was able to retire in my early 50's.

Blacks don't have a special "in" down at HUD, it might be she a little smarter.
This is how HUD works in regards to section 8. I work in housing (senior housing). Housing assistance is based on income levels and household total (in regards to family members). Unless your co-worker made 10K a year, she would not have qualified for Section 8. You said she was single, and that by itself proves that you are a lie or that she lied to you about being on Section 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Maybe they don't have an in but they are disproportionate voucher users. Anytime a waiting list opens up the lines are overwhelmingly Black even in cities where Blacks make up a fraction of the population. Not for nothing it is black section 8 holders who are spreading crime and their nonsense to formerly nice hoods. Then cry racism when they are called on it. The problem is a lot of the people calling them out are also black.
You also don't know much about housing. Where are you getting your statistics? Also did you know that the largest growing percentage of housing users (especially in the elderly/senior housing area in which I work) are Asian. There are also a lot of Russian, Polish, and others from Eastern European countries (that don't even speak English BTW and that get Social Security even though they never paid into the system due to coming over here via son/daughter and getting placed on the step of the government and who we have to pay for translation services for) whose population is growng in housing.

There are a lot of issues in housing, but honestly I think HUD does a decent job. People have to "recertify" every year to keep their vouchers. There are work/school requirements for those under 65.

The only thing I would change is to limit the amount of time people can receive Section 8 vouchers for young families. I think 5 years is enough time to where you should have your stuff together.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
At the same time,its the landlords' fault.
If you go to Criagslist,some landlords actually prefer Section 8 renters.I hear its because they are guaranteed their rent money.
They even say"Section 8 only". That is stupid. They don't want working class people to rent decent housing.
its the landlords who are sucking off the goverment teet moreso than the tenants.
They charge 1500 dollars in rent for a unit that's only worth 900 dollars. But the goverment pays,so hey....

There are some landlords who "legally scam" Section 8. The program subsidizes rents up to the metro median (for the relevant number of bedrooms) for tenants with Section 8 vouchers.

The median rent is a fixed number which changes once a year. Market rents vary dramatically across metro areas.

The scammers offer below-median units (lower quality and/or in problem neighborhoods) at the area median rent (or close to it).

For example, say the area median rent for a 3BR is $1000 and you have one in a bad neighborhood that normally would rent for $600.

A landlord willing to accept Section 8 could try to rent it out at $900. This would guarantee that a lot of Section 8 people will call (because it's hard to find a vacancy that will accept Section 8) and nobody without a Section 8 voucher will call (because it's overpriced by $300).

The landlord will rent it to someone with a Section 8 voucher and collect an extra $300 every month.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:29 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I hope Mitt Romney is elected and abolishes HUD. Section 8 is an awful program and needs to be dismantled. Nice areas are turning into slums because of Section 8 residents not to mention crime and school quality deteriorates.

Of course Obama made things worse.

James Bovard: Raising Hell in Subsidized Housing - WSJ.com

Do you realize why section 8 exist don't you? Apparently not. Once upon a time the poor were subjected to living in the projects and were placed in areas were the schools were subpar as well transportation and there was basically no employment in the surrounding area. With all of these factors crime began to raise it's ulgy head. Someone in their wisdom came up with section 8 which was a way for the poor to leave the cesspool of the projects. Section 8 is not the probelm but the landlords inability to properly screen occupants and keep up their properties to visable standards. There really should never be a cluster of section 8 homes since that would be no different than living in the projects.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe she lied about her income?

It does **** me off when someone on section 8 drives a better car than me and has better furniture then me,and then some brag about it.

Income is means-tested once a year so it you're unemployed , between jobs, etc that is a great time to get means tested

Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The Republicans changed the law in the 1990s and eliminated the fraud formula, replacing it with, oh, let's call it less vague criteria. Now an HUD slumlord cannot charge more than market value for the units.

Still, you have gross fraud because you still have a $250 apartment renting for $600, and the American tax-payers are still getting bilked (albeit not as badly).

That should be of some comfort I guess.
Eligible households use vouchers to help pay the rent on privately owned homes of their choosing. Project-based Section 8 rental assistance contracts provide subsidies that are assigned to particular developments to help offset the cost of construction and rehabilitation.

Project-based rental assistance also makes up the difference between market rents and what a low-income tenant can afford.

Voucher and project-based Section 8 recipients are generally required to contribute 30 percent of their income for rent and utilities. The voucher pays the rest of the rent, up to a limit set by the state or local housing agency administering the program in the area where the housing is located.

Federal rules require program administrators to ensure that at least 75 percent of households newly admitted to the voucher program have incomes of 30 percent of the area median income (AMI) or less. The other 25 percent or less of newly admitted households can have incomes up to 80 percent of AMI.

What market supports a $250 rent going for $600, my investors are interested.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Because it's the Christian thing to do?
Christian for the individuals to do - not for government through forced redistribution.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Been tried and it did not work, you should read more history
Such as...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies