Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oops. I love how you think you know better than I do about the guy I DATED! Der.

He WAS getting a rent subsidy. But you know better....because you were there and he talked to you?

Oh, that's right, you weren't.

He was FULL TIME at Amazon.com He just LIED about his income.
Sure he did, just made up income data and HUD has no way of checking income data with the IRS. YOU'RE MAKING STUFF UP, or your pal was jerking your chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Sure he did, just made up income data and HUD has no way of checking income data with the IRS. YOU'RE MAKING STUFF UP, or your pal was jerking your chain.
This is not HUD but entitlement nonetheless and it took eight years for them to be busted.
Feds: Seattle welfare recipient lives in million dollar home | KING5.com Seattle

Quote:
Search warrant documents unsealed Friday in federal court reveal that she received more than $1,200 a month in public housing vouchers, plus monthly cash from the federal and state government for a disability, as well as food stamps.

Property records show the woman lives in a 2,500 square-foot home, with gardens and a boat dock, that is valued at $1.2 million.

Records show she has received welfare benefits while living in the plush home since 2003. Records also show she truthfully provided her address when she applied for benefits.*
So you think this story is made up too?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 PM

867 posts, read 498,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Same applies to me, the difference is I care about my fellow citizens, you obviously do not.
You can take it anyway you want, and so can everyone else that read your post
I care about America, big picture. Your "concern", real or feigned, for individuals is, at best. misguided, because in the big picture you do far more harm than good by keeping them dependent on the fruits of others labor, instead of forcing them to be reliant on using the fruits of their own labors. Much like the drug dealer who hangs out near schools and hands out free samples. No favor at all, really.

I don't know what you motives are for sure, but if it quacks like a drug dealer, it just might be a big negative.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My cousin was on section 8 for a few years (she's off now, which is fantastic) and they asked for proof of income (pay stubs, and they checked her tax returns) and interviewed her more than once. After that, once a year she had another interview to make sure she was still eligible.

Unless he was making a bunch of money under the table I'm not sure how he could have simply lied about his income.

As for section 8 neighborhoods going to crap, I wonder if landlords are to blame? Sure, you can throw out the 'personal responsibility' stuff, but when push comes to shove the landlords need to be enforcing rules instead of just getting an easy government payday every month.

Nearly every landlord I had (and I've never had section 8) would regularly drive by the property to make sure it still looked clean and in good shape and would talk to the neighbors to make sure everything was going well. So, I'd say blame the landlords for being lazy and not doing proper backround checks and not keeping track of their properties. Perhaps they should be fined if properties fall into disrepair.
I don't know what it looks like now but when he moved in, it was a brand new building and for the most part, the neighbors seemed to be respectful and quiet.

Edited to add: Oh and how he did it, I'm not going to reveal on this board and give anyone ideas.

Interesting that KickAssArmyChick just linked to that story because that is the city I was living in, (as was he), when I dated him.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Unlike some people on this forum, I don't have to make things up. What I do know is that you were not there, you don't know, I do. Too bad if you don't like the reality that people abuse the crap out of the system constantly.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yep, this is exactly what happens every time.
In every development in my town and two bordering towns... where "those who had the vouchers" moved in to...sure did!

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-17-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Sounds like a tough situation. 3 years is fairly rapid, was there no way to band the community and local LE to address the situation before it got out of hand?
What I've seen is that it happens fast in certain neighborhood when new developments go in...sometimes developments that are specifically built to meet low cost housing requirements put on the cities by the state. There is a new development going up in a city near me that will be 50% low cost and 50% market. The usual percentage is under 15%. This area was built as low cost housing 25 years ago and had to be bulldozed because it was so ghetto. Now they are doubling the number of units and the number of low cost residence that will not all local folk who work here. I would NEVER buy into a neighborhood like that. NEVER. It doesn't bode well at all and 25 years from now, well, who knows. I may not even be here.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Lol, neighborhoods don't "transform" like that in a year.. you either missed the signs of trouble while moving into a bad area or you're embellishing your story a bit. Not saying poor people out of work aren't a social problem but you're making it sound like someone flipped a switch and Beverly Hills became Calcutta overnight.
They most ABSOLUTELY can and do.

Just be glad you didn't have to deal with it or move because of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
I worked for HUD for 3 years. We did NOT check income data with the IRS, because we there was no way to do so. The IRS and HUD are two separate federal Departments, autonomous, with legal concerns about privacy, and the IRS does NOT provide information to HUD. Even if it were legally and bureaucratically possible today, the time it takes the IRS to respond to ANY request would prohibit requiring their verification before approving applications for aid.

Also, many who applied for HUD aid had not filed tax returns in many, years, because they were not legally require to do so--they did not have enough income reported to the IRS, so this did not trigger any inquiry or audit.

At HUD we accepted the applicant's application and asked for whatever verification they could (wanted to) provide. As long as we had something in the file, that was good enough. I was told that our mission was to provide federal money to applicants, and not to file (or report on) anything that would disqualify the application. In my 3 years, not once did I deny an application for housing aid, though the individuals who applied had generally already received other HUD money and knew the routine. Had the program I administered not existed, local homebuyers would have saved a significant tax on their mortgages, and not a single truly needy person (in my opinion) would have missed out on financial aid.

I could not agree more that HUD should be eliminated. It was the most corrupt of all the government agencies I worked for, and staffed with the most corrupt administration. This Department was utterly without redeeming qualities, and was in large part responsible for my current Libertarian beliefs.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We have section 8 townhouses in our community. The facade blends in very well with the rest of the neighborhood, so you really can't tell it's section 8. We really haven't had any trouble. The kids go to the local schools and the parents seem really happy to be part of a community. So I guess some places it works and other places not. I wouldn't condemn them all though because some do work.
Of course not.

Just like welfare, it's a program intended to help people get a leg up, survive until they can get their ducks in a row. I have no problem with folks who fell on hard times and need the help. That's who it was all designed for.

Unfortunately it's turned into a way of life for the majority and generation after generation after generation...and most of these folks can pump out 3 generations in record time.

The problem is that those who actually NEED the resources and TRY to pick up the pieces or "better" themselves while receiving said resources, get screwed while the idiots who do nothing all day, gang-bang, deal drugs, the chicks have kids they can't afford, they're all in and out of jail, the boys have 7 kids by 6 women, refuse to get out of bed to get a Jay Oh Bee...they all get a free ride. And cause all the damn trouble - because they feel they are entitled to something they have never earned.

That's the problem.

Here's the other problem: What do you do with them? I've employed enough of them and not only do they steal, they take everything you give them (food, clothing, a $20 bill here and there) and expect more. They also lie like there is no tomorrow.

So what DO you do?

Maybe they DO need to live on the damn streets for a while.

What else is going to wake them up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies