Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Who wants to live in crime areas with bad schools ?

Childless adults if the rent is right. I'd love to have a school district for childless adults so we could have low low property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'm sure you did, what you didn't do was properly characterize your neighborhood BEFORE you lived there and during that first year.
It was a great neighborhood. Hell, it was a great city. I loved it when we first moved from Hayward. Now it's become exactly what we moved to get away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I believe SimpleMan only because I also live in a city where people from Oakland have been relocated to fill empty units because in our area, which is conisdered affluent, the people don't meet the low income requirements. Since we are in the same county as Oakland and other low income areas they bring them from where the most poor people are. A large amount (not all, but the more than I'm comfortable with) of our crime problems can be directly traced to poor people from Oakland and I'm not even going to mention race...but it's a fact no matter how much we don't want it to be. Sorry. I hate it. But you can't pretend it's not real when you live it. Good people do want to get away and live in a nice place but problems follow and everyone knows this.
Excellent post, I agree with every word. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Sounds like a tough situation. 3 years is fairly rapid, was there no way to band the community and local LE to address the situation before it got out of hand?
We really had no choice, it wasn't voted on. People have raised some hell at city meetings, but there's nothing they can do now. And the LE around here is an f'n joke. We have county sheriffs, not a city police dept. I've called 911 a few times, once because while I was at my son's school some gangbangers decided to fight in the street next to the school with a bunch of 9-10 years lined up along the fence watching it, and another time because there were people in the street outside my house getting ready to fight, and both times I watched for over an hour and not one cop even drove by. The only time they showed up was when the big fight happened, probably because I reported gunshots and several other people called. A non emergency complaint? Pfft. Your dreaming if you think anyone will show up. What's even more upsetting is that of all the crap I have actually witnessed myself, none of them make our small time (25k population) newspaper. Don't want it to look bad to potential buyers.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
It was a great neighborhood. Hell, it was a great city. I loved it when we first moved from Hayward. Now it's become exactly what we moved to get away from.

Excellent post, I agree with every word. Thank you.

We really had no choice, it wasn't voted on. People have raised some hell at city meetings, but there's nothing they can do now. And the LE around here is an f'n joke. We have county sheriffs, not a city police dept. I've called 911 a few times, once because while I was at my son's school some gangbangers decided to fight in the street next to the school with a bunch of 9-10 years lined up along the fence watching it, and another time because there were people in the street outside my house getting ready to fight, and both times I watched for over an hour and not one cop even drove by. The only time they showed up was when the big fight happened, probably because I reported gunshots and several other people called. A non emergency complaint? Pfft. Your dreaming if you think anyone will show up. What's even more upsetting is that of all the crap I have actually witnessed myself, none of them make our small time (25k population) newspaper. Don't want it to look bad to potential buyers.
If a locality accepts HUD money they must allow Section 8, if not the government will sue accusing discrimination.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If a locality accepts HUD money they must allow Section 8, if not the government will sue accusing discrimination.

And if a locality does not accept HUD money it is free to discriminate all it wants?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Childless adults if the rent is right. I'd love to have a school district for childless adults so we could have low low property taxes.
Be sure to carry your hand gun.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Gee, that too bad. Because just because someone lives in a section 8 building doesn't mean there getting section 8. You need to meet income qualifications to receive it. My 77 year old mom is in a section 8 building. If she work three days a week she's fine, if she works four days a week she loses a big chunk of the rent subsidy.

If that guy you dumped had a good job he wasn't getting a rent subsidy.... Oops.
Oops. I love how you think you know better than I do about the guy I DATED! Der.

He WAS getting a rent subsidy. But you know better....because you were there and he talked to you?

Oh, that's right, you weren't.

He was FULL TIME at Amazon.com He just LIED about his income.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oops. I love how you think you know better than I do about the guy I DATED! Der.

He WAS getting a rent subsidy. But you know better....because you were there and he talked to you?

My cousin was on section 8 for a few years (she's off now, which is fantastic) and they asked for proof of income (pay stubs, and they checked her tax returns) and interviewed her more than once. After that, once a year she had another interview to make sure she was still eligible.

Unless he was making a bunch of money under the table I'm not sure how he could have simply lied about his income.

As for section 8 neighborhoods going to crap, I wonder if landlords are to blame? Sure, you can throw out the 'personal responsibility' stuff, but when push comes to shove the landlords need to be enforcing rules instead of just getting an easy government payday every month.

Nearly every landlord I had (and I've never had section 8) would regularly drive by the property to make sure it still looked clean and in good shape and would talk to the neighbors to make sure everything was going well. So, I'd say blame the landlords for being lazy and not doing proper backround checks and not keeping track of their properties. Perhaps they should be fined if properties fall into disrepair.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

There are a lot of people who are pulling "fast ones" and getting away with it.

I had a friend in LA who lived in a building who had a lot of Section 8 tenants, there was one guy who was illegally subleasing his Section 8 apt while he was living in TX with family.

Another woman who was around 35, was Section 8 and was out on state disability because she was "agoraphobic". Yet she was able to get on a plane and spend 4 weeks traveling in Europe.

Look at the woman who hit the Lottery in Michigan and who for a year still collected welfare. She said she just thought the checks would stop coming and never informed the state that she won a million dollars.

The good news is she maybe going to jail.

The amount of fraud going on is mind blowing.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My cousin was on section 8 for a few years (she's off now, which is fantastic) and they asked for proof of income (pay stubs, and they checked her tax returns) and interviewed her more than once. After that, once a year she had another interview to make sure she was still eligible.

Unless he was making a bunch of money under the table I'm not sure how he could have simply lied about his income.

As for section 8 neighborhoods going to crap, I wonder if landlords are to blame? Sure, you can throw out the 'personal responsibility' stuff, but when push comes to shove the landlords need to be enforcing rules instead of just getting an easy government payday every month.

Nearly every landlord I had (and I've never had section 8) would regularly drive by the property to make sure it still looked clean and in good shape and would talk to the neighbors to make sure everything was going well. So, I'd say blame the landlords for being lazy and not doing proper backround checks and not keeping track of their properties. Perhaps they should be fined if properties fall into disrepair.
Enforcing what rules? Are they cops, nannies?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM

32,074 posts, read 15,072,790 times
We have section 8 townhouses in our community. The facade blends in very well with the rest of the neighborhood, so you really can't tell it's section 8. We really haven't had any trouble. The kids go to the local schools and the parents seem really happy to be part of a community. So I guess some places it works and other places not. I wouldn't condemn them all though because some do work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies