Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Savior Faire: PROVE that people on this thread hate "Hispanics" cause they're Hispanic, please. Unless YOU think a Hispanic is always illegal. Many of us DON'T like illegal aliens; not hate 'em but don't like 'em. There's a difference.
What is this thread about? Here are your choices:
1- Hispanics
2- Illegal aliens
3- Hispanic illegal aliens
4- Other (Explain)

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- Hispanics
2- Illegal aliens
4- Other (Explain)
That bridge has already been crossed on the Illegal Immigration sub-forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why do you do this when it is plain as day that when the word Mexican is used in here and since this IS the illegal immigration forum that is the kind of Mexican being referred to?
The term "Mexican" implies being an illegal alien...

"Hispanic" is next for them...

Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Thread is NOT about illegals. For someone to assimilate I believe it is implied they are legal.

So you could take your hate... sorry, your dislike of illegal somewhere else.
It becomes that. When "hispanics" overwhelmingly support the breaking of the laws of the USA and especially for their own "raza" (race) then the whole issue of illegals becomes their issue.

You don't really see La Raza types getting out and protesting the round-up of Haitian boat people in Miami, it's about race even if it's a made-up race for the purposes of attaining special rights for their group.

But yes, a basic respect for the laws of this country and a willingness to come legally does lead to better assimilation.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
You can spew your statistics all you want. What I SEE is that more and more Hispanic kids are entering schools not being able to speak English or having a very hard time speaking English.
I'm not talking one or two kids here..like 10-15 kids.

And in middle school there is no bilingual, it's all English taught.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Absolutely!
... I lived in Spain for a while and there was NEVER any kind of resentment against me speaking English............ we have a lot to learn here.
Try living in France instead for a while.

Why would you emigrate permanently to Spain and never speak anything but English? Why would you want to live there forever and never want to learn any Spanish?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Most are not assimilating even into the 3rd generation.

What exactly is U.S. culture now?
For a start if you do not know or refuse to be a part of it. English is a good start.

Many have failed at this.

I have clients who came to the U.S. in the immediate postWW2 years. They have been here for 40-50 years and prefer their native tongue. They are ...Poles(Chicago) and Italians(NYC)

My father came over in 1941 as a teen and preferred to speak Spanish 50 years later. Absolutely staunch American who never lived on the dole. Created his own company in fact. You do not need language to assimilate you need desire to adopt the new country as your own.

Ever been to Quebec? Canadians who prefer French instead of English as used outside that region.

I thought it was fairly well understood that the ability to learn a new language diminishes with age particularly post-puberty.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
No, I just don't believe you'd speak Mandarin to an American in China, knowing full well you're both native English-speakers. It isn't a matter of assimilation but normal human behavior.

Name of the school in CA? There's been a well regarded public elementary school in Miami that's been bilingual (English/Spanish) since the 1960's.

My source is the Pew report that you obviously haven't bothered to read and have chosen to base your arguments instead on a skewed summary provided by Tom Tancredo. Here's a link to the full report: When Labels Don't Fit: Hispanics and Their Views of Identity

And here's the relevent graphic re: Hispanics & the media they consume:

Quote:
No, I just don't believe you'd speak Mandarin to an American in China, knowing full well you're both native English-speakers. It isn't a matter of assimilation but normal human behavior.
I would as I stated.

Quote:
Name of the school in CA? There's been a well regarded public elementary school in Miami that's been bilingual (English/Spanish) since the 1960's.
Mother Speaks Out on Proposal to Ban English-Only Classes at California Elementary School

California School forces kids to be taught in Spanish

Quote:
My source is the Pew report that you obviously haven't bothered to read and have chosen to base your arguments instead on a skewed summary provided by Tom Tancredo
If you missed it see post # 1004

This does not include the 12-25 million illegals in the country

Ninety-five percent of Hispanics believe it is important to speak Spanish in the U.S.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- Hispanics
2- Illegal aliens
4- Other (Explain)
You are wrong.

Please reread the title of thread.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
That bridge has already been crossed on the Illegal Immigration sub-forum:

The term "Mexican" implies being an illegal alien...

"Hispanic" is next for them
Stop making things up.
That was never mentioned.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I have clients who came to the U.S. in the immediate postWW2 years. They have been here for 40-50 years and prefer their native tongue. They are ...Poles(Chicago) and Italians(NYC)

My father came over in 1941 as a teen and preferred to speak Spanish 50 years later. Absolutely staunch American who never lived on the dole. Created his own company in fact. You do not need language to assimilate you need desire to adopt the new country as your own.

Ever been to Quebec? Canadians who prefer French instead of English as used outside that region.

I thought it was fairly well understood that the ability to learn a new language diminishes with age particularly post-puberty.
My wife's family, Poles and Ukrainian, still chat in their native tongues. Most are second and third generation. Her parents (now gone), second generation, lived with us for over ten years and chatted back and forth in their own language every day. Her older brother (now gone) was a drummer in polka bands, many of their songs are in foreign tongues and most of the people at those dances were not speaking English. Maybe we need to deport half the people in Parma and Euclid Ohio for not assimilating quick enough. How dare they continue to play their traditional music and greet each other with nonsense like, Jak się masz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.