Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Wake up and smell the coffee. California is the sprawl capital of the world. The state is 99% sprawl. If your idea of the good life is endless freeway congestion, strip malls, McMansions, fast food chains, trailer parks, shopping at Crap-Mart and China-Mart I mean Wal-Mart and all the other typical suburban crap then you should definitely move to California because that's all there is out there. You'll be in white trash heaven!
How is the state 99% sprawl when most of the state lives in three areas - LA, the Bay Area, and SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM

41 posts, read 45,325 times
United Nations Agenda 21

Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Wake up and smell the coffee. California is the sprawl capital of the world. The state is 99% sprawl. If your idea of the good life is endless freeway congestion, strip malls, McMansions, fast food chains, trailer parks, shopping at Crap-Mart and China-Mart I mean Wal-Mart and all the other typical suburban crap then you should definitely move to California because that's all there is out there. You'll be in white trash heaven!

There is nothing wrong with sprawl.

There is a lot wrong with congestion and high density living.

And sprawl has nothing to do with race.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
In the Minneapolis area, Minneapolis proper has led all municipalities in development for the last five years. Nearly all of it has been dense, multi-unit midrises built in the old urban form. Why has this happened? Because it is what people want. .

Correction. Because it is what SOME people want.

Millions of us would much prefer to live somewhere other than a congested downtown where we can enjoy our space.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
... If he is just complaining that he cannot afford to live in the same neighborhood he grew up in, well, welcome to the real world. Neither can most of the rest of us.

Millions of us can afford to live in the neighborhoods we grew up in. In fact, millions of us live in much much nicer neighborhoods than where we grew up. That's because the American Dream is alive and well.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
This environment damage information - no one cares. I am a Bible believer, and this Earth is going up in flames one day.
Well that sort puts an end for anyone to intelligently discuss this issue any further. I just wish that you had put that in the first paragraph.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
I think city planners and liberals, especially here in California, are pushing to stick people in dense housing developments or multi-residential units in urban areas...
Because that is something people want. It will only accelerate with infrastructural development, as I have seen here in Dallas area. The previously dying downtown itself has sprung back to life. The launch of DART (Light Rail) in late 1990s and its massive expansion has driven builders to reconsider downtown real estate, as well as development in those corridors. This is also true of Ft Worth. In fact, these developments have transformed the downtown and vicinity.

Welcome to the future.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,929 times
Quote:
I think city planners and liberals, especially here in California, are pushing to stick people in dense housing developments or multi-residential units in urban areas.
But its perfectly fine for the government to stick everyone into single-family suburban sprawl developments? Whether they like it or not? Whether they can afford it or not?

Many people prefer to live in new urban type developments. They no longer wish to be slaves to the gas pump, slaves to the car and oil companies, slaves to the auto insurance companies and being stuck in brutal traffic congestion for hours on end each day. If you prefer that kind of automobile-centric lifestyle then your options are unlimited because it is available to you everywhere. I don't know what the hell you are whining about.

If you want to give the oil and car companies all your money and make them even richer that's your choice but don't try to force everyone else to be like you.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Many people prefer to live in new urban type developments. They no longer wish to be slaves to the gas pump, slaves to the car and oil companies, slaves to the auto insurance companies and being stuck in brutal traffic congestion for hours on end each day. If you prefer that kind of automobile-centric lifestyle then your options are unlimited because it is available to you everywhere. I don't know what the hell you are whining about. .

I love the "automobile-centric lifestyle". It suits me fine. And I don't care what the price of gas is since I don't drive that much..... and I never drive in "brutal traffic" even for a few minutes. And I enjoy my space without being crammed into a tiny downtown apartment where people are slaves to tiny spaces and very high costs. I'm a slave to nobody. Sprawl is wonderful!

To each his own.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM

161 posts, read 211,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correction. Because it is what SOME people want.

Millions of us would much prefer to live somewhere other than a congested downtown where we can enjoy our space.
It is what MOST people want.

If people really wanted to live further out they could easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies