Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Please show me proof that carrying a concealed weapon improves your chances of survival when you go shopping.
You're a fair person; how could anyone prove such a thing?
You could no more show proof that carrying a concealed
weapon improves your chances of survival when you go
shopping than you could prove that a concealed weapon
improves your chances of survival when you go to Luby's Cafeteria.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
Of course it should and for no other reason than past transgressions you leap to the conclusion that it was profiling for race and race alone. How about the known fact tat young blacks had been identified for burglaries in the community. The reason in fact z was elected captain or appt captain.
Who says he didn't listen. To the best of my knowledge not yet determined that he did not cease and desist from following. Even if he did so what it doesn't matter. This kid should have not approached an adult with intent to engage. That was stupid stupid stupid. I'll ask you because everyone wants to conveniently ignore the question. Did Trayvon invade as body space. If he did does it matter. Did z invade Ts sbody space if it did does it matter? Thre is your answer! Everything else is just pounding the table. Whoever wins that toss wins the solution. My bet is z goes free on that toss.
I cannot say that he was positively profiling based on race, but I can say without a doubt the fact that he was NOT on duty (his father said that he was on his way to Target) and secondly he should not have been "patrolling" with a loaded gun (this is against the NHW rules) beside like I mentioned before, who goes to Kmart with a loaded gun?

Ok, now how did you figure that Trayvon approached zimmerman? come on now does that really make any sense? If you are a vistor in the dark/rain and you realize that some grown unknown man is following you would yould you approach him unarmed? I lived in a pretty tough neighborhood and I knew guys who were armed and they would not walk up on someone they did not know like zimmerman did. Your arguement is better suited in defense of Trayvon than it is of zimmerman regarding personal space

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You found that link with no problem. Nobody yet with a link to an arresting officer saying gz slurred his words. Fib.
It was mentioned in the brgining of the case by the arrresting officer who initially felt that zimmerman should have been arrested. After he was pulled "in-line" it was not bought up again. It think that his statements will be bought up in court under oath at the trial

Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Going back to the link just posted

"New reports also show that Zimmerman was not administered a Breathalyzer or toxicology screen, even though it is the protocol for shootings. Rod Wheeler, a law enforcement expert, told ABC News that Zimmerman sounded intoxicated in the 911 calls."

In March when I posted that it was standard procedure to test someone after a shooting, a CD member claiming to be a cop called me a moron and said I didn't know what I was talking about.

So far there is nothing to indicate he was tested for drugs or alcohol, but could he have refused?
Nope, not in a potential murder case, and besides was'nt he supposed to have had his head banged so hard that he "feared for his life" experience?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
I guess you & I live in different worlds. I know there's probably some crime around here, but I feel very comfortable driving to and from a store without carrying a gun. Sure, I agree we all need to use common sense in our daily activities. Would I walk to my car in the dark when nobody else was around? Probably not. In fact, last year I drove to Port Charlotte and was leaving a shopping center at about 8:00. The parking lot was not well lit, so I waited until a couple was walking out of Ruby Tuesday and asked them to keep an eye on me until I got into my car. However, to me, wearing a loaded gun to run a few errands is nothing like wearing a seat belt. First of all, I have no choice, since buckling up is the law in Florida. So "might put on" does not apply, unless you want to break the law. I don't see a valid comparison, since there's no law that says you have to wear a gun or you'll be ticketed. Second, although in some cases, people have been injured by a seat belt, statistics show that people who wear them have a much better rate of survival in an accident. Please show me proof that carrying a concealed weapon improves your chances of survival when you go shopping.
I've been driving for 35 years, and have always worn seat belts. In that time I have never had a single accident where they have protected me in any way. Based on this, I have plenty of evidence to indicate that they are a waste of time. They are a bit of a pain to use. Yet in spite of all that evidence and history, I continue to wear them. Simply for the one time when they might save my life. Not out of fear of a ticket from an overbearing government, that has decided what is best for my safety.

I also ride motorcycles, and do where a helmet EVERY time I ride. And that HAS saved my life, or at least prevented bad injuries a couple of times. My state does NOT require me to do so. It's kind of a PITA to wear, store when I'm done with a ride, not to mention helmet hair. Should I leave the helemt behind because I'm not legally required to wear it? I don't think so.

Carrying a concealed weapon is exactly the same. On any given day, you are very unlikely to need one. And every CCW holder hopes they will never need to use it. Yet, like seat belts and helmets, they are extra work to carry, and come with a responsibility. And when needed, they can save your life, or the life of someone else.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,208 times
I can only imagine how the ranks will thin when everyone is carrying

Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,002 times
Default As an NRA member w/ CC privileges, I cant understand what Zimmermann did!

You never, ever confront somebody when you are carrying unless somebodys life is imminently in jeopardy! Some people speak of being emboldened when carrying a firearm!. Carrying actually makes me more apprehensive, I look to avoid confrontation. Zimmerman may have had no choice but to use his weapon after the fact, however, I can clearly see why he failed out of police training.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I presume you honestly don't know the answer to your insanely goofy question.

Answer: Everybody with a brain and a gun.

I guess you've never heard the word 'carry'. If you have, I'm almost afraid to ask what you think it means.
Why is it insane to ask a logical question? Let me make the question easier for you and the other one cell thinkers. What do you NEED a gun at Kmart for? Are you going to rob it? There is absolutely no need to parade a gun around in Kmart....period! Personally I don't know what backwater town that openly encourages people to bring guns to places that they are not needed.

I really think that zimmerman and his father made that crap up in the first place

Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The reason someone would carry a loaded gun to Target is the same reason someone might put on a seat belt for the drive there...
If the trip to the neighborhood Kmart is in a war zone, maybe the police should have more people patrolling it

Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You're a fair person; how could anyone prove such a thing?
You could no more show proof that carrying a concealed
weapon improves your chances of survival when you go
shopping than you could prove that a concealed weapon
improves your chances of survival when you go to [url=http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/17/us/gunman-kills-22-and-himself-in-texas-cafeteria.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm]Luby's Cafeteria[/url].
Thank you for calling me fair. However, why are you posting an article from 1991? Are you saying this horrible massacre would not have happened if one of the patrons had a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies