Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Self defense is when someone attacks you and you didn't start the freaking fight. Zimmerman instigates this, then claims self defense?
Stop....just stop....

The "starting the fight" issue is really being abused here.

Who was the AGGRESSOR....

If Trayvon Martin ambushed him then he had an awful lapse of judgment. If Trayvon Martin attacked him, PREEMPTIVELY, he initiated violence and he was WRONG. Because the FACT is Zimmerman was, at that point, only perceived as a threat.

And we know how the "perception" role goes in America.....perception is only wrong when it's directed at one type of person, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
One thing for sure lawyers are all salivating and I'm sure will have plenty of cameramen on hand when the not guilty verdict comes and the riots ensue. Like hogs to the trough.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Stop....just stop....

The "starting the fight" issue is really being abused here.

Who was the AGGRESSOR....

If Trayvon Martin ambushed him then he had an awful lapse of judgment. If Trayvon Martin attacked him, PREEMPTIVELY, he initiated violence and he was WRONG. Because the FACT is Zimmerman was, at that point, only perceived as a threat.

And we know how the "perception" role goes in America.....perception is only wrong when it's directed at one type of person, right?
It's hard to believe that Martin could have perceived Zimmerman as a threat. If he did...he could have simply walked in his house, closed the door and called 911. It seems pretty clear that he was angry that someone was keeping an eye on him and he went out to assault Zimmerman.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
RAise your hand if you think he would not have been arrested for murder if there was no public outcry. I'm with toyman, I think Zimmerman was angry and initiated the fight. WAit, I have no clue 'cuz I wasn't there. It's easy to talk about it like we were there, though. Once the lawyers sink their teeth in this, we'll get some clarity, one way or the other. (I hope.)

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM

566 posts, read 958,545 times
Probably not much because I highly doubt he'll walk away from this case without a criminal conviction of some sort; I just don't see it resulting in an all or nothing situation.

Will he be convicted of 2nd degree murder? Probably not.
Will he plead guilty to a lesser charge of manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter? Most likely, yes.

I highly doubt this case will even make it to trial.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I hadn't either, that's too bad.

Hopefully Zimmerman will do better, he certainly deserves it after the way he's been treated by the media. Maybe NBC will become ZBC. We can only hope...
Well if he is exonorated like Jewell, to that I will agree. I just don't see how he can get a fair trial by a jury.

Zimmerman has definitely been treated poorly but this case is different than Jewell's as there is no doubt he killed Trayvon. Now figuring out the defining moments and where to split the hairs to decide if it was murder or self defense I think is going to take the wisdom of Solomon.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
It's hard to believe that Martin could have perceived Zimmerman as a threat. If he did...he could have simply walked in his house, closed the door and called 911. It seems pretty clear that he was angry that someone was keeping an eye on him and he went out to assault Zimmerman.
Yea but the fact of the matter is this....whetherhe perceived Zimmerman was a threat or not is irrelevant. If it's true that Martin attacked Zimmerman initially, then he perceived him as a threat. Perception doesn't validate anything. Martin made a mistake that cost him his life. Of course, if this is what actually transpired.

And if he did it because he was annoyed and on his alpha male stuff....that just makes it a very, very stupid mistake.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
Quote:
The case against George Zimmerman seems to be falling apart by the day. More and more evidence supports the case for self defense...
How do you figure that??

Self defense my arse!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
This is why I maintain he was up to no good. His reaction far exceeded what a normal person would do if the situation went down as Sharpton and others claim. His little potential burglary spree during his two week suspension was halted, he had been identified. He couldn't steal and escape unnoticed two weeks later with no one noticing.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
RAise your hand if you think he would not have been arrested for murder if there was no public outcry.
Nope, I think his arrest was a political move to placate the mobs and enhance the career of the prosecutor. I suspect the trial will make that clear, especially as the evidence comes out. Like you said, there would have been no trial without the lynch mobs.

I believe that when we see more of the evidence, the original decision from the State Attorny General's not to arrest Z due to lack of evidence of wrong doing will be proven correct. Not, of course, before the state wastes a pile of money trying to build a case when they don't have a leg to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies