Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The case against George Zimmerman seems to be falling apart by the day. More and more evidence supports the case for self defense. Either way, that's for a jury to decide. However...assuming he's found not guilty, or if a judge tosses the case before trial....how much can Zimmerman make off this case?

He certainly has a case against many media organizations. Those that painted him a racists and tarnished his reputation with no evidence. Those that fabricated conversations that make him appear that way (NBC, anyone). All of these have hurt his reputation and put his life in danger. Add to the obvious nutcases the NBPP bounty on his head. Or the flaming azzhats on Twitter that are calling for his death.

I am not a lawyer, but it sure seems like he has heck of a lot of options for civil suites. Hopefully he can clean out some of these irresponible groups and end up with enough of a settlement to "learn them a lesson".

This doesn't even consider book or movie deals...
I continue to say that he has to live long enough to do any of the things you suggest and the NBPP hasn't withdrawn their bounty, yet have they. They wanted him dead or alive and when they got him alive failed to back off. I think that racists will demand his death till some fool helps them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
IF he protected his life against a violent attack using a legal means of self defense (which is for a jury to decide, unless a judge tosses the case first) I hope he cleans up. I'd say $20 mil from NBC would be a good start in providing a positive deterant to lying about an innocent man to make a few bucks on "news". Maybe the same from the vile, racist NBPP who put a bounty on his life.

I don't care about race....if the KKK or Aryan Nations were instigating and agitating for whites to go out and kill an innocent black person, I'd say they should be slammed comparably.

Tiluha has posted a link in the trial thread to some newly-released court documents. The state has two detectives who contend that Zimmerman followed Martin and instigated the confrontation. If he's found guilty even of manslaughter, I'm not sure that he'd be allowed to profit from the killing of Trayvon Martin.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Don't call me racist. You guys come on here with your inciteful rhetoric aimed at causing pain for those of us who can see this kind of BS happening to us or our children and you get joy from the thought that as Trayvons parents still mourn him his killer gets to profit and then you act as if there is something wrong with those that oppose you.
YOU have called for Zimmerman's death, without a trial. Without considering the evidence. Without looking at the facts of the case. Without even considering the possibility that he was violently attacked. All because the person shot was black. Not if he committed assault, or if was about to kill or cripple someone. Because the person shot was black, the shooter must die...regardles of if he shot in self defense. That makes you racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Tiluha has posted a link in the trial thread to some newly-released court documents. The state has two detectives who contend that Zimmerman followed Martin and instigated the confrontation. If he's found guilty even of manslaughter, I'm not sure that he'd be allowed to profit from the killing of Trayvon Martin.
If there is proof that Zimmerman initiated the physical confrontation, and/or shot when Martin was not a legitimate threat to his life, I hope he goes away for a long time. That is for the jury to decide. He doesn't deserve to be beaten for reporting a suspicious person to 911, nor to be locked up for protecting his life from a violent assault.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If Florida, by definition, shooting someone is apparently self defense.

Someone shows up at your door and you don't know them?.......because they knocked on the wrong door. Shoot them. It's self defense.

Someone is in the bushes in your next door neighbor's backyard. Shoot them. It's self defense (and also your neighbor's son).

Someone is mad at your son for skateboarding on a basketball court. Shoot them. It's self defense.

You are tailgating someone and they stop and ask you to quit tailgating them. Shoot them. It's self defense.

Each one of the above scenarios actually occurred in Florida. In each case the shooter is claiming "Stand Your Ground."
Has each one of those cases already been tried? What were the outcomes?

What a lot of people aren't realizing or understanding, or are outright ignoring, is that you can claim whatever you like as your defense. You can claim that the neighbors dog told you to do it. Only the facts of the case and their outcomes matter.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that racists will demand his death till some fool helps them.
I'm assuming you're referring to the Tea Party, Klan, etc. That would be because both Zimmerman and the victim are persons of color. I don't think the sheet-over-their-heads groups will succeed in their threats.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Hopefully enough to live a safe life far away from the ghetto trash that caused all of these problems for him.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So much anger and hate. I understand that your position is that everything that happens in the world is race-driven (and for you, maybe it is), but for you to wish someone dead is surprising even to me, ec.

I used to think that despite our differences, we had a mutual respect. You just lost mine. That is a terrible, terrible thing you wrote, and I can't have any respect at all for someone who would write it.
what about understanding about the people it was meant for. They come here not to discuss but to hurt. Im tired of rw people hurting me and others....sick of it

Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:

If there is proof that Zimmerman initiated the physical confrontation, and/or shot when Martin was not a legitimate threat to his life, I hope he goes away for a long time. That is for the jury to decide. He doesn't deserve to be beaten for reporting a suspicious person to 911, nor to be locked up for protecting his life from a violent assault.
There's not. The lead investigator testified to that at the bond hearing. O'Mara went through the probably cause document line by line and got the investogator to admit that he couldn't back most of it up with evidence. I thought for sure the state would have some evidence to back up their claims, but it appears they don't.

Quote:
Investigator Dale Gilbreath testified that he does not know whether Martin or Zimmerman threw the first punch and that there is no evidence to disprove Zimmerman's contention he was walking back to his vehicle when confronted by Martin.
And since the investigator was under oath, this testimony can be used against the state in the trial:
Quote:
Legal observers said the questioning of Gilbreath was strategically smart for O'Mara since the investigator's statements can be used at a later date to either contradict other testimony or be used to decide how to question other witnesses.
I believed the prosecuter's speech about trying to find the truth for both Trayvon and Zimmerman's sakes. I assumed she had some real evidence to bring those charges. But the bond hearing changed all of my assumptions.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
YOU have called for Zimmerman's death, without a trial. Without considering the evidence. Without looking at the facts of the case. Without even considering the possibility that he was violently attacked. All because the person shot was black. Not if he committed assault, or if was about to kill or cripple someone. Because the person shot was black, the shooter must die...regardles of if he shot in self defense. That makes you racist.

Oh you mean like my post about the 17 year shot while out a robbin. Yeah Im always for the black in the case. Like the black guy who shot that white dad in front of his child? Go and read my post and you will see that what you just said is huge misrepresentation. Ill wait for an apology. As for the rest Anger made me say that. Anger that someone wants GZ to make money from his actions.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:

As you say, a jury will decide. By the same token, no one should be pursued and confronted by a stranger when they are simply walking back to the residence they're visiting, or walking in any other public place for that matter. Interesting that the SYG law applies to both Zimmerman and Martin. The outcome of this trial could have far-reaching effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies