Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,406,291 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I was living in seattle and attended a GOP meeting in my local district to select delegates to the county convention. Dan Savage showed up to run as a delegate with the aim of disrupting the meeting. He proposed a resolution that gays should not be discrimminated against. I think he made it deliberately as moderate and reasonable as possible so that he could run back to his crowd to crow 'see they even oppose this.' Except that we passed his resolution overwhelmingly. LOL. This flummoxed expression on his face after we voted on his resolution was priceless.

He later got national attention in an incident where he volunteered for Gary Bauer for President. One day he came down with a bad flu, and he snuck into Bauer's campaign office smearing his snot everywhere, hoping that Bauer staffers and volunteers would fall sick.

The guy is the classic bully, and it should have been well known to this school journalism org. Whoever brought in Savage as keynote speaker should be fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM

52,741 posts, read 48,091,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And this comment is irrelevant to this thread, which is not about whether you believe and follow the Bible or not; but about the inappropriateness of any adult, let alone one that was specifically invited to participate in our Dept of Educ. national anti-bullying program by our current administration, to try and teach high school kids his version of the Bible and to subject them to sexual humor, vulgar profanities and to call out Christian students and mock and ridicule them all at a presentation designed to teach anti-bullying. Its not right.

Our president, who has supported this vulgar man, needs to apologize to the students he offended and disaffiliate this man from any association with the Anti-Bullying Program if it is to have any semblance of credibility.

Best comment on this thread. I applaud you one thousand percent. Right on the money!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,035,717 times
Columnist Dan Savage stands by comments on 'bulls**t in the Bible' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
“I was not attacking the faith in which I was raised," Savage wrote.
Liar.

Quote:
Savage apologized for that specific remark in Sunday’s blog post, writing that his word choice “was insulting, it was name-calling, and it was wrong.”
Well..this is what cowardly BULLIES usually do when called out for their bullying.

Quote:
"It’s amazing that we go to an anti-bullying speech and one group of students is picked on in particular, with harsh, profane language.”
That's because radical gay leftists, like this goon, usually get a pass.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,850,727 times
My dad who was an old warrior -- survivor of revolution and famine..who had seen most of the world...could not quite get his head around western culture...around classic English language...

If someone offended him...he noticed most would offend and follow it with the phrase "I'm sorry".

My dad could not understand this...He thought if they were sorry they would not have done what they did..apology is over used these days...people say they are sorry - not to make amends..but to protect their own interests.

I can see someone saying "please forgive me"....which has the tone of sincerity ...to not to give or to continue giving cuts the bully out of the herd...to as for - for giveness -is to ask the giver to keep giving.

When a bully says they are sorry...they are actually asking for a future opportunity to offend again. If they are sincere...they will say nothing - especially that self serving and politically correct I AM SORRY....cos they are not!

It's like a killer who shows "remorse" only after they are caught- but not before.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,644,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Right.
So, given this pattern of behavior, would there have been any reason to expect anything different at this event?
Probably not.
From the bio of the keynote speaker, Dan Savage, on the Convention Web Site.

"... he creates a safe space for all audiences to honestly discuss “taboo†topics." HA!

DAN SAVAGE KEYNOTE | Journalism on the Edge

"... the conference coordinators... felt the only thing that they had failed at was to not clearly tell the attending schools about Dan Savage."

Exclusive - Parent of Kids Who Walked Out on Savage: 'What a Pig'

Believe it or not, not everyone follows this 'Gay Icon.' There is no reason the students would have been aware of his pattern of bashing those who disagree with him. Even the program sponsors admit neglect in not fully disclosing this man's reputation. But, then as the father of two of the students noted, if there is such a need to "warn" people about this speaker, why have him?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,644,977 times
And, now this from a Christian student at the conference, who says some of the girls were crying after this attack.

"Naman... thought Savage was going to talk about his anti-bullying campaign. But the Christian teenager soon learned that Savage had a very different message ..."
“I hope you’re all using birth control,†Savage told the teenagers as he began his remarks. From there, he regaled the young people who stories about his husband, describing how he looked in a Speedo. At one point, Savage imagined what it would be like with his husband on stage – telling the kids that they would have to pry him off his partner."

"Naman was growing increasingly uncomfortable with the tone and tenor of Savage’s remarks. There were more lewd comments, profane words and innuendo. And then, Savage said something that made Naman take notice."

"Jake Naman said he felt – bullied."

and he was not alone.

“I was shaking,†Julia Naman told Fox News.

"So did 17-year-old Haley Mulder."
"I felt put down and bullied because of my faith.â€

"Naman said a number of the girls began crying. He said it seemed like such a safe environment “But then Dan Savage went off and it didn’t seem that way anymore.â€

Christian Teens Say Gay Activist Made Girls Cry | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

This is indefensible.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,597,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And, now this from a Christian student at the conference, who says some of the girls were crying after this attack.

"Naman... thought Savage was going to talk about his anti-bullying campaign. But the Christian teenager soon learned that Savage had a very different message ..."
“I hope you’re all using birth control,†Savage told the teenagers as he began his remarks. From there, he regaled the young people who stories about his husband, describing how he looked in a Speedo. At one point, Savage imagined what it would be like with his husband on stage – telling the kids that they would have to pry him off his partner."

"Naman was growing increasingly uncomfortable with the tone and tenor of Savage’s remarks. There were more lewd comments, profane words and innuendo. And then, Savage said something that made Naman take notice."

"Jake Naman said he felt – bullied."

and he was not alone.

“I was shaking,†Julia Naman told Fox News.

"So did 17-year-old Haley Mulder."
"I felt put down and bullied because of my faith.â€

"Naman said a number of the girls began crying. He said it seemed like such a safe environment “But then Dan Savage went off and it didn’t seem that way anymore.â€

Christian Teens Say Gay Activist Made Girls Cry | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

This is indefensible.
These kids knowingly attended a conference on cutting edge journalism, and knowingly attended a lecture by a cutting edge journalist. And his comment that hypocrisy is tiresome made them cry? Poor babies, I hope they don't intend to pursue journalism if this was too much for their fragile sensibilities.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,035,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
These kids knowingly attended a conference on cutting edge journalism, and knowingly attended a lecture by a cutting edge journalist. And his comment that hypocrisy is tiresome made them cry? Poor babies, I hope they don't intend to pursue journalism if this was too much for their fragile sensibilities.
Oh well, looks like you didn't WATCH the video of this radical gay activist bully doing exactly what he is decrying in others as he plays the victim card......oh, that's right...he's a LEFTIST bully, which is ok.

Calling them NAMES, ragging on their faith....all ok with the Left.

It's what they DO.

They didn't knowingly attend a conference expecting to be railed against for their faith and called names...unless you can provide some evidence that was in the itinerary.

Amazing just what the Left will excuse and condone.....as long as the ones being attacked are on the other side of the aisle.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,406,780 times
A small price to pay for the message being delivered. Someone ought to remind those kids that the people this man's trying to defend have gone through or are going through far worse. Whatever persecution or danger they may have perceived, gays have actually experienced and/or are currently experiencing. The threat of disillusionment is a necessary evil, unlike the evil this man is actually attacking. Watch 'The Matrix' sometime and you may get the idea

Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,492,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Cutting edge? The rest of us call him an @ssh*le.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies