Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I guess if you were talking to an uninformed American your "trillion dollar lie" might have some traction, but you and I both know that the infrastructure projects spent LESS THAN 1/3 of the stimulus money.

If you're upset with local projects not getting funding, blame kasick. It is his ODOT that set priorities in Ohio, not Obama. If you're talking about Strickland's old congressional district you might even be targeted for no funding for political retribution. In Cleveland kasick pulled funding from a main interstate bridge thru downtown, AFTER CONSTRUCTION STARTED. Political retribution meant to turn democratic Cleveland into a economic wasteland with business leaving because of the delayed construction on the main line thru town. Of course, this bridge replacement is years behind already and this delay added 10 years to the project. FYI, this bridge is the twin to the bridge that collapsed in the twin cities.

We don't have to go far to find your looney right wing propaganda, do we?
Gee thanks for the history lesson....not.

The Portsmouth by-pass was in the works way before Kasich or even Strickland and if you say that Kaisich is holding a grudge for our district because of Strickland and his politics well you are nuts.
We here in southern Ohio have always been at the bottom of the barrel with unemployment poverty and infrastructure the only time the politicans want something is election time and our votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The election, and politics has nothing to do with it. The U3 unemployment number drops, when there are actually fewer people employed, and it can go up, when the economy is picking up and more people are entering the work force looking for a job. The U3 number is so screwed up that it will actually give us the opposite indication.
yet we have been relying on the U3 number for years. The only reason you'd lile to suddenly change to U6 is to place an explanation point on the problem. If only the media would use the U6 number in the run up to this election so, so, transparent. You ever get tired of short selling and wishing America and our government fails?

Hey, if you cannot take the heat for your ridiculous claims stop making them.

FACT, There was a well documented spike in early retirees in 2009. I jump of over 20% from the prior year. Seems the boomers aren't waiting til 66, they're jumping into SS at 62 in record numbers. FYI, those stats wouldn't include early retirees like me, seeing that I'm too young for even the 62 early exit. I'm set, may wait til 66 and draw down the 401k a bit with the low cap gain rates....

Record Numbers Claimed Social Security in 2009 - Planning to Retire (usnews.com)

So at one end you have boomers exiting and at the other end you have people like my daughter delaying employment and staying in school into her thirties. One BS, two Masters and half way thru a PhD.

Quote:

Why so snarky? All I was doing was giving a brief list of why people can be without a job, and yes, a person who decides to leave their job to move to a new city or state, is without a job. Just look to the military, or other contracted employees, as a prime example of this.

That's the new norm for the Obama era of apathy and meritocracy? Apparently the NYT, and you, think we should now resign ourselves to a dead economy, from now to all eternity.

Even Robert Reich disagrees with you:

The Stall Has Arrived - Friday, May 4, 2012

The economy has stalled.

Friday’s jobs report for April was even more disappointing than March. Employers added only 115,000 new jobs, down from March’s number (the Bureau of Labor Statistics revised the March number upward to 154,000, but that’s still abysmal relative to what’s needed). We need well over 250,000 new jobs per month in order to begin to whittle down the vast number of jobs lost in the Great Recession. At least 125,000 new jobs are necessary each month just to keep up with an expanding population of working-age people.

With only 115,000 jobs in April, the hole is getting even deeper.

Most observers pay attention to the official rate of unemployment, which edged down to 8.1 percent in April from 8.2 percent in March. That may sound like progress, but it’s not. The unemployment rate dropped because more people dropped out of the labor force, too discouraged to look for work.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
But even at plus 115,000 and the other revisions (The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for February was revised from +240,000 to +259,000, and the change for March was revised from +120,000 to +154,000,)it's sure better than the Europeans, who have embraced austerity -- exactly what the GOP wanted here.

That's like saying you would rather cut off your finger than your foot.

And show me the European "austerity". Government spending in Britain has gone up every year for at least the past ten years......

Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Hey Buzzard read today's Portsmouth Daily Times John Kasich is pulling for that New Steel mini-mill and other projects here in southern Ohio we are on the cusp of returning to productivity and prosperity.All we need is Obama to back up his promise to USEC with that loan gaurantee and someone to buy New Steel excess energy like AEP DUKE or whoever....

Last edited by Dumbdowndemocrats; 05-08-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's like saying you would rather cut off your finger than your foot.

And show me the European "austerity". Government spending in Britain has gone up every year for at least the past ten years......
Not according to the Cameron government:
Quote:
Both Cameron’s Conservative Party and Clegg’s Liberal Democrats suffered heavy losses in local elections, as voters punished them for spending cuts that are seeing welfare payments trimmed and about 700,000 public sector jobs axed.

Yet analysts warn the most severe elements of a four-year program of about 81 billion pounds ($130 billion) of cuts to government spending have yet to bite — meaning public dissent is likely to grow as living standards decline.

Treasury chief George Osborne has already warned that Britain will likely need two additional years of austerity after the scheduled 2015 national election, a package expected to include a further 23 billion ($37 billion) of budget trimming.
link: Despite French warning on austerity, Britain's Cameron insists UK must stand by spending cuts - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/despite-french-warning-on-austerity-britains-cameron-insists-uk-must-stand-by-spending-cuts/2012/05/08/gIQA7jw29T_story.html - broken link)

Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
First, dotcom investment and tangible investment are different worlds.
No kidding. You're talking about five guys named "Mo" and a computer with a file-server in someone's apartment, and they were $100Millions, even $Billions in debt and had no assets and absolutely nothing to show for it.

I'm surprised they lasted as along as they did before investors started pulling the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
2nd the mistake we made the last 10 plus years is cap gains if it was previously existing equity should be taxed as ordinary income, while IPO gains should be tax free. Trades of stock do nothing for scoiety; IPOs rock.
I'll have to think about that. I do like the idea of taxing IPOs differently. I'm not really big on stock markets or stocks and find them of no real value or benefit. But, for IPOs, I can see letting investors make money and then taxing the snot out of subsequent trades.

Tangibly...

Mircea

Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Your post did not refute my statement. Government spending in Britain has increased EVERY year for at least a decade.

They can call it "austerity" all they want, but they are spending more every year.

UK Total government spending in billions from 2000 through 2011 and 2011 is more than 100% over 2000;

Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Hey Buzzard read today's Portsmouth Daily Times John Kasich is pulling for that New Steel mini-mill and other projects here in southern Ohio we are on the cusp of returning to productivity and prosperity.All we need is Obama to back up his promise to USEC with that loan gaurantee and someone to buy New Steel excess energy like AEP DUKE or whoever....
Yep, like he was "pulling" for the Sears HQ? Too bad he gave away the bank for Bob Evans when they had no intention of leaving Ohio.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
There has been no "austerity" in the EU.

http://news.investors.com/article/61...-austerity.htm

Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Don't let the facts get in the way of the Krugman lemmings. If Krugman says there has been austerity they will believe it even if the facts tell us otherwise.

Good link by the way. This is particularly interesting;

Austerity? Spending has boomed in the EU over the last decade. During the 2000s, EU member nations collectively boosted government outlays by 62%. Average government spending by EU nations today stands at about 49.2% of GDP — vs. 44.8% in 2000.

On its own website, the EU itself ridicules the notion of government austerity as a "myth."

"National budgets are NOT decreasing their spending, they are increasing it," the EU says, noting that in 2011, 23 of the 27 nations in the EU increased spending. This year, 24 of 27 will do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies