Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
No, not necessarily. If you have worked with court systems you would know this. That in itself isn't conclusive.

I don't, but my wife does. The Clerks are pretty good about entering things into the computer.

Dude, face it...it's a press release from the law firm-it isn't news. When it appears in the WSJ as an ARTICLE, then I'll pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
The Spire Law Group, LLP web page boasts that:

Quote:
Spire Law Group, LLP, California State Bar Registration Number 54393, is a national law firm with lawyers across the country whose backgrounds include the historical provision of legal services to the some of the world's largest international corporations, as well as to some of the Country's most important governmental and regulatory agencies.
In fact... it appears to be the latest shell around a law firm that is in trouble with its clients and the law. They accuse it of running a scam, this "lawsuit" being the hook.

Until just a few weeks ago they were the Mitchell J. Stein & Associates, LLP.

Quote:
As of April, 2012, the California Secretary of State and the California State Bar, ratified and approved the name change of Mitchell J. Stein & Associates LLP to Spire Law Group, LLP. The Firm is now known as Spire Law Group, LLP.
What inspired the name change and a press release about a lawsuit that appears to not have actually been filed? Well... this may be part of the reason:

Quote:
There are many former Stein and current Erikson Davis and Spire Law Group monthly paying clients sending me numerous complaints. The complaints are about how they are being told by Toby Butterworthless and others on a weekly basis that they are going to be put into a New York lawsuit – but only to find out that the lawsuit is never filed when they said it would be. Accordingly, clients have been told this for nearly four months now, while some have even sent me email telling me they have reported many of their concerns to the California Attorney General. This is because so much time has gone by that many have concerns that they might be paying for a lawsuit that might not ever end up being filed. In other words, they fear they might lose their money.
Just a couple months before, the previous "case" filed by this law firm was dismissed in Los Angeles Superior Court, with the judge noting that:

Quote:
“The Complaint challenged by this motion is one of the most addled pieces of legal drafting this Court has ever seen in 40 years of legal practice and judicial service.”
This appears to be a pattern for Stein:

Quote:
Attorney General Kamala D. Harris Sues Law Firms Engaged in National "Mass Joinder" Mortgage Fraud

SAN FRANCISCO --- Attorney General Kamala D. Harris today announced that the California Department of Justice, in conjunction with the State Bar of California, has sued multiple entities accused of fraudulently taking millions of dollars from thousands of homeowners who were led to believe they would receive relief on their mortgages.

As alleged in the lawsuit, defendants preyed on desperate homeowners facing foreclosure by selling them participation as plaintiffs in mass joinder lawsuits against mortgage lenders. Defendants deceptively led homeowners to believe that by joining these lawsuits, they would stop pending foreclosures, reduce their loan balances or interest rates, obtain money damages, and even receive title to their homes free and clear of their existing mortgage. Defendants charged homeowners retainer fees of up to $10,000 to join as plaintiffs to a mass joinder lawsuit against their lender or loan servicer.

Consumers who paid to join the mass joinder lawsuits were frequently unable to receive answers to simple questions, such as whether they had been added to the lawsuit, or even to establish contact with defendants. Some consumers lost their homes shortly after paying the retainer fees demanded by defendants.

The State Bar has seized the practices and attorney accounts of the attorney defendants:

The Law Offices of Kramer & Kaslow; Philip Kramer, Esq; Mitchell J. Stein & Associates; Mitchell Stein, Esq.; Christopher Van Son, Esq.; Mesa Law Group Corp.; and Paul Petersen, Esq.
So... the question to CDusr is this:

Are you an unwitting promoter of this scam? Or are you actually on Stein's payroll, trying to recruit other sheep to be fleeced?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The Spire Law Group, LLP web page boasts that:

In fact... it appears to be the latest shell around a law firm that is in trouble with its clients and the law. They accuse it of running a scam, this "lawsuit" being the hook.

Until just a few weeks ago they were the Mitchell J. Stein & Associates, LLP.

What inspired the name change and a press release about a lawsuit that appears to not have actually been filed? Well... this may be part of the reason:

Just a couple months before, the previous "case" filed by this law firm was dismissed in Los Angeles Superior Court, with the judge noting that:

This appears to be a pattern for Stein:

So... the question to CDusr is this:

Are you an unwitting promoter of this scam? Or are you actually on Stein's payroll, trying to recruit other sheep to be fleeced?

You are strange. Posting this information to research and watch is perfectly valid. Legal issues are dirty business.

I have no evidence of scamming. Are these people attorney's or not?

I am not promoting a scam. Insinuating, I am on the payroll is even more ridiculous.

You seem very good at insinuating and deflecting when called on your own crap.

Please enlighten us on your scam theory and how I am recruiting others into said scam? How would I be paid?

And how would this benefit me? Hopefully, these aren't the same research skills you are using elsewhere.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
You are strange. Posting this information to research and watch is perfectly valid. Legal issues are dirty business.

I have no evidence of scamming. Are these people attorney's or not?

I am not promoting a scam. Insinuating, I am on the payroll is even more ridiculous.

Please enlighten us on your scam theory and how I am recruiting others into said scam? How would I be paid?

And how would this benefit me? Hopefully, these aren't the same research skills you are using elsewhere.
Mitchell J Stein's license to practice law has been taken away by California.

State Bar of CA :: Mitchell J. Stein

Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Ok, so an attorney spins off a law firm? The main site was where I saw the info on the filing of the case. The blog you site is from 4/12/2012. The case says it was filed 4/17/2012.

These people may not be exactly on the up and up, but what you have shown is hardly proof. And your other insinuations are completely paranoid and absurd. That kind of behavior simply isn't normal imo.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Mitchell J Stein's license to practice law has been taken away by California.

State Bar of CA :: Mitchell J. Stein
This is where I saw the news about the case. Directly off of the main firm's site.
Recent News (http://spirelawgroupllp.com/Recent_News.html - broken link)

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
This is where I saw the news about the case. Directly off of the main firm's site.
Recent News (http://spirelawgroupllp.com/Recent_News.html - broken link)
You've already been shown, provided links, that show that the Spire Law Group is a new name for an existing law firm headed by Mitchell J Stein.

You've already been provided links that show that Mitchell J Stein has lost his law license and that he and his firm are being investigated for defrauding mortgage owners. The fraud specifically was an assertion that they were going to file a massive class-action suit, and they lured troubled mortgage owners to join that class-action lawsuit, and to contribute to paying the legal costs, but they have never filed the lawsuit. The complaints were so numerous and so widespread and so substantial, that Mitchell J Stein is being investigated and has had his law license revoked.

They change their name, and plant press releases in several economic media outlets, announcing a new class action lawsuit, but the courts still have no record of that lawsuit being filed.

What makes you think that if Mitchell J Stein and his lawfirm previously scammed hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of people into giving him money for a fictitious lawsuit, that Mitchell J Stein and his renamed lawfirm aren't just repeating the process again?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
You are strange.
Actually, that's not my reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr
I have no evidence of scamming.
You mean... other than the fact that they are being sued by the California Department of Justice for running a scam?

Quote:
Says the person who tried to dishonestly imply that the OP was an article from the WSJ, and when called on that crap has been furiously backpedaling and deflecting ever since?

Pulleeeeze!!!

Quote:
That was only one of two options I presented. I note that you are making no effort whatsoever to defend yourself from the other...the one that ends up making you look like an unwitting dupe.

So... you must be conceding that one.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Ok, so an attorney spins off a law firm? The main site was where I saw the info on the filing of the case. The blog you site is from 4/12/2012. The case says it was filed 4/17/2012.
And the court's online records search shows that as of this morning (5/8/2012) the case has still not been filed.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I don't, but my wife does. The Clerks are pretty good about entering things into the computer.

Dude, face it...it's a press release from the law firm-it isn't news. When it appears in the WSJ as an ARTICLE, then I'll pay attention.
Nobody said it was anything other than a PR. As to clerk's entering, that isn't really the issue. Only an index number was given. I have seen delays of months and even inaccuracies in online vs actual hearings.

This link the HD provided, has this guy looking into whether this is actually a filed case. updated 5/4/2012. He makes a very good mention of the offshore accts, which is a big part of this.

Mitchell J. Stein Law Group Crew Complaints Flood In That Allege They Are Collecting Money For A New York Lawsuit That Never Ends Up Actually Filed

If HD went through all the trouble to signup for what looks to be multiple user accts for NY supreme court, for this case, kudos to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies