Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times

Advertisements

Because we didn't.

We realized the potential in America and went to work.

I know some bums, who never really kept a job due to their irresponsibility, but I don't remember them ever making demands on others to pay their way.

Something went very wrong with the minds of our youth.

As they say...."it's much easier to lay blame on others than to accept that you're a loser."

Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Would you like a hankie?

You don't seem to take into consideration that in the 1960s somebody making $20,000 was considered middle to upper middle class, or that in the early 1980s minimum wage was $3.35 an hour.

So things might the a little tough. Either rise to the challenge or be loser. You can't change reality you just have the deal with it the best way you can.
No, but perhaps if some you just went off ....and you know...died...things wouldn't be as tough for the rest of us.

But seriously, Boomers are living longer and things have changed tremendously; mix that with the fact that they are the largest population explosion that this country has ever seen. Acknowledge it and accept it. I was merely disagreeing with the other poster that things are more expensive today than they were when he was a boy. People from that era have simply told me different.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I totally agree with you. And I will add that young couples now want to start out with every brand new, can't wait for anything. Houses are bigger with bells and whistles we never even dreamed of back in the 50s and 60s. And let's not even mention the closets of today that are now full-sized rooms stuffed with designer labels.
Perhaps, but when I talk to older folks about the houses today, they often say that they are built with cheaper materials and are of lesser quality but cost 10x what they would have paid in the 50s and 60s. Many of the homes today are built in quantity not quality. Back then you had stone masons and brick layers putting this stuff together. Today's newly built homes are put together with a set of leggo instructions.

I won't even get into where I reside now (NYC). Way back then, you could drive a cab and buy a home, today folks can't even afford the cab let alone a home.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
Taking a break from the Occupy movement?

Why don't you get your whiny ass off the computer and go to work,....like the baby boomers did? It's not too late to make something of yourself if you work smart and quit whining. Boomers weren't handed anything but opportunity,...and they grabbed that opportunity and made the most of it. .

Your generation wouldn't know opportunity if it bit you on the ass. You are just looking for someone to blame for your failure and lack of drive.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.

Being a baby boomer, I would agree and disagree with some of your points

1. available jobs were more plentiful for my generation

2. those without college degrees could get decent paying factory jobs

3. those with college degrees (at least useful ones) were nearly guaranteed a job upon graduation

4. There were, however, bad economic times- witness the interest rates and inflation rates in the 1970s

5. There were, tumultuous social times-

a. civil rights strife
b. Vietnam
c. bad economic times of the 1970s

6. We had, and have, a better work ethic. Most young people I come across have a terrible work ethic and attitude. This is from new professionals to high school grads. Nearly everyone in my generation worked from the time of being a kid, even through college.

7. We had available and plentiful student loans and a college education was affordable. Now the cost of college is relatively unaffordable. I recall my medical school being about $3,000 per year and we thought that was outrageous. My undergrad, being poor and an "A" student, was essentially free, with the exception of room and board.

8. We were not burdened by the distraction of the internet, video games, and cell phones, such that one had time to think, read, and actually educate, rather than entertain, oneself.

9. We were not fat

10. The majority of families were two parent families

11. We looked to ourselves, rather than the government, for answers

12. The US was much more polluted and dirty then

13. Kids did not commit suicide as much then

14. If you got beat up at school, you either got revenge or took it. One did not hire an attorney.

15. There was not a trophy for everyone, regardless of whether they won or lost

16. Kids could ride thier bikes around town without fear of being abducted

17. Hitch hiking was an acceptable means of transportation

18. Soda pop and McDonalds was a luxury, not a staple

19. EVERYONE smoked

20. Most young people expected to buy used cars and a small house until they became older and more established.

21. Houses were smaller

22. Before widespread air conditioning, people sat on thier porches and talked with thier neighbors

23. People worked on their own cars in their garages

24. Home repairs were done by the father, not a contractor or a handyman

25. Everyone mowed thier own lawn- there was no such thing as a lawn service

26. People actually went to church on Sunday mornings, rather than slept in. We still do, as my wife is a Shiite Catholic.

27. It was acceptable to whip bad children. Now a parent would be put in jail if they spanked a naughty child. (PS- the jails are too full of criminals and do not need responsible parents there).

All in all, I would agree with you- we did have it easier. However, I would also say that we worked and tried harder than the current generation. Our parents were kids of the Great Depression who fought in WW2 and were enjoying the greatest prosperity in US history. We were the children of that generation and benefitted as a result. With less effort and a tougher economic situation, I would expect that this generation will under perform the Baby Boomers via both personal failings and circumstance combined.

Grow up, be a man. No person can control when they were born or the circumstances into which they were born. The only thing that you can control is YOUR EFFORT and ABILITY to excel and change your personal circumstances. Look to yourself, not others, and perhaps you may succeed as well. The problem with your generation is that you EXPECT everything to be given to you. Think about my parents, who were raised in the Great Depression. They did not ***** or complain- they fought and struggled-and eventually succeeded. Now we have OBAMA, who has convinced all of you that your do not need to work, struggle, or sacrifice in order to be successful. All you have to do is blame the "rich" and take from them- then everything will be OK. GROW UP and TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 05-08-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM

488 posts, read 555,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Would you like a hankie?

You don't seem to take into consideration that in the 1960s somebody making $20,000 was considered middle to upper middle class, or that in the early 1980s minimum wage was $3.35 an hour.

So things might the a little tough. Either rise to the challenge or be loser. You can't change reality you just have the deal with it the best way you can.
A bit harsh, but it's absolutely the truth. I don't see the point in trying to make the baby boomers admit it was easier. What difference does it make even if they do come out and say it?

I was born at a time in my parents' lives when they were doing well. They were well in to their careers and we didn't experience any financial hardship. If I were born 10-15 years earlier, when they were just getting started, it would have been a different story. I had the wrong expectations getting out of college based on how I grew up with my parents. At first it didn't seem fair, and I felt like I had been ripped off by the evil college instution. The reality, I learned, is you more than likely are not going to walk straight in to a great paying job right out of college. Most people will have to start off in jobs that don't pay well and work their ass off to have a chance at doing well. My parents, and I bet the vast majority of boomers, went through the same thing. I've accepted it, and I'm keeping my eyes open and taking on any and every opportunity to better myself and my career.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:

Really ? 15% mortgage rates, 10% unemployment, 9% inflation and you think times were easy ? Had a car..well you could only get gas on YOUR days and then wait on line.

Every generation bashes the generation before them and think that only they have it hard.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Work for what? There aren't any jobs out there to move us up the Social ladder.

Boomers had opportunities. Most jobs these days don't pay much to even survive.
A Boomer friend told me how 30 years ago they were mad cause the older people had all the good jobs locked up. You just have to wait your turn. I'm an Xer and believe me; it's been tough out there.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Really ? 15% mortgage rates, 10% unemployment, 9% inflation and you think times were easy ? Had a car..well you could only get gas on YOUR days and then wait on line.

Every generation bashes the generation before them and think that only they have it hard.
I was talking with my uncle and he just did a refi on his house at 3.9% and he laughed about what the rates used to be and said he felt like he was stealing money. lol

Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
No, but perhaps if some you just went off ....and you know...died...things wouldn't be as tough for the rest of us.

But seriously, Boomers are living longer and things have changed tremendously; mix that with the fact that they are the largest population explosion that this country has ever seen. Acknowledge it and accept it. I was merely disagreeing with the other poster that things are more expensive today than they were when he was a boy. People from that era have simply told me different.
Again you can't change reality.

DEAL WITH IT!

Winners find a way to succeed, losers make excuses for not getting what they want in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies