Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times

Advertisements

It's true. The bible supports the position that polygamy is a normal lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If you are going to cite the Bible - you should read the entire volume instead of cherrypicking certain verses. You would then understand that the Bible in no way supports your position that homosexuality is a normal lifestyle.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Why do you assume that the bullies were evil persons?
The original word in that verse doesn't really refer to "evil". More like a bad or very difficult person.

Why do you assume a bully does not fit that description? They are bullying kids because of who they are, and making their lives miserable and driving them to suicide. That sounds evil to me. It most certainly sounds bad.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
It's true. The bible supports the position that polygamy is a normal lifestyle.
And let's not forget, by the literal interpretation, Cain had sex with his mother to continue the human line.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The original word in that verse doesn't really refer to "evil". More like a bad or very difficult person.

Why do you assume a bully does not fit that description? They are bullying kids because of who they are, and making their lives miserable and driving them to suicide. That sounds evil to me. It most certainly sounds bad.
Why don't you give a definition of "evil" then? Sorry, but I never thought of the bullies who picked on me as evil - just as misguided punks who needed a good punch in the jaw, which I gave them. Perhaps they changed their life around, and are leading a productive life now, instead of languishing in prison.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Civil marriage has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or religious marriages. Requiring a government bureaucrat to sign off on legal paperwork is in no way an infringement on religious freedom or liberty.
Judaism requires me to give up my life before signing a "marriage" document for 2 men.

so yes it violates my religion and many others.

your telling religious people what does and what doesn't violate their religion is sounding awfully close to the Soviets.

would you also ship me off to a gulag for not following your "interpretation" of Judaism.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Defend your position, then - using the Bible as a source.
Sure, if you can explain to me the point? I've been arguing with people like you for at least 10 years. I've discussed the famed "clobber" passages probably a 1000 times at least. After the arduous task of typing up long explanations regarding culture, context, language, Jewish law, etc. the typical rebuttal from people like you is, "Nuh uh, God hates gays!"

Why on Earth should I continue to waste my time entertaining the ignorance of people like you who are incapable of admitting you might be wrong?

Quote:
And please cite an example of where I have ever used any Bible verse "out of context"?
The better question, is when have you used a Bible verse IN context? I guess you also are under the mistaken impression the Bible was written in English.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And let's not forget, by the literal interpretation, Cain had sex with his mother to continue the human line.
He did? Do you have any evidence to support this ridiculous claim?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
If you read the bible then you would know that God does indeed hold people (and Nations) accountable.
So what? So does the Koran. So does a couple of dozen other so-called "holy" books. We don't legislate based upon them, and laws that have been found to exist for purely religious reasons, with no secular justification have been, and should be, struck down as unconstitutional.

Quote:
The gay marriage issue is not a civil rights issue! Marriage is by definition a union between 1 man + 1 woman.
It is defined as such because that is how we legislated it. Legislation can, and constantly is changed and updated. Sometimes it's even deleted. WE decide what marriage is.

Quote:
Even now, gay marriage is banned in 31 states. So, a gay couple can be married in 1 state, and not be recognized in another.
I don't know why that hasn't created a constitutional situation, with the whole "full faith and credit" clause thing.

Quote:
They are never going to get everyone to accept them or their lifestyle.
They said the same thing about interracial marriage 40 years ago. They were wrong then, you are wrong now, as history will show. It's no longer a question of "if" only "when, and how".

Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
I answered your question already - I don't feel like going back and finding the exact post number - but I am sure that you are capable of doing so.

Quote:
Most of those "federal level rights and benefits" should also be thrown into the dustbin and be legislated only at the state level.

OK, "most of" still leaves some Federal level protections (though I would strongly disagree with your position on this).

How can even one Federal level protection/right/benefit exist and the Federal Gov have no say in the legislature?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Why don't you give a definition of "evil" then? Sorry, but I never thought of the bullies who picked on me as evil - just as misguided punks who needed a good punch in the jaw, which I gave them. Perhaps they changed their life around, and are leading a productive life now, instead of languishing in prison.
Do you really think Jesus made such a semantically minor quibble in that verse? His intent was to promote non-violence for people who attack you. I seriously doubt he was referring to Hitler level evil.

In the context of who Jesus' enemies are, we could say the religious extremists or Romans were the "evil" Jesus referred to turning the other cheek on. Yet I would hardly consider them truly evil. Bad and misguided, sure. Evil? Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies