Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Regardless of your opinion of religious ideas, where do you find any support for your idea that religious beliefs should not influence laws?
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I wouldn't make you. I'd just fire you from your job. If you refuse to process legal paperwork, then you shouldn't be a legal paperwork processor.
It's not that he's refusing because he doesn't like you, but fact is, if you hire someone, and then change the parameters of their job to violate their faith, and then fire them for it, I can't even guess the size of the lawsuit.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Observant Muslims shouldn't apply for jobs as bacon tasters. That's not bigotry.

Likewise, city clerks who find themselves unable to cope with their religious hang-ups have a completely misconstrued idea of their relative importance. Public servants are not there to make the rules, they're there to carry them out.
The current rules in most states declare that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. I guess you only obey laws when they agree with your political views.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
The poster questioned religious influences upon laws. Since many laws are influenced by religious ideas - I wondered if the poster was hostile to our laws. What is strange about that?
Which current laws are influenced by religious ideas?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Judaism requires me to give up my life before signing a "marriage" document for 2 men.
Then I suggest you avoid becoming a government bureaucrat.

Quote:
would you also ship me off to a gulag for not following your "interpretation" of Judaism.
Nope. Just fire you for dereliction of duty.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Why do gays want to be "married" and have it officially endorsed as "marriage" by the state governments anyway?
The same reason as heterosexuals. What damage does gays being able to marry due to your marriage?

Quote:
Obviously marriage is not a right, or else brothers and sisters could marry, and mothers marry their sons, and people marry multiple partners.
Polygamy used to be legal, and marriage is still a right. Close relative marriage has a legally convincing argument for why it should be banned. Gay marriage does not.

Quote:
State laws, that are Constitutional, bar a lot of consenting adults from getting a government endorsed marriage license.
And they have legally valid arguments for them. Banning same-sex marriage does not, anymore than banning interracial marriage did.

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
The current rules in most states declare that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. I guess you only obey laws when they agree with your political views.
How on Earth did you arrive at that conclusion? In case it's evaded your attention, the debate is about changing the marriage laws.

Or is there some sort of underground gay marriage movement doing drive-by ceremonies that I'm not aware of?

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
The case you are referencing doesn't support your position on gay marriage.
Keep believing that.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Sure it does. Study the history of current legislation in the United States, and the U.S. Constitution. If you deny that religion had any influence in either - I have to ask what you are smoking(your right to do so which I would fully support!).
So we without human morality before the Judeo-Christian god came along?

Show me one law that is purely religious in nature.

The denial of gays the right to marry IS purely a religious one.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Start with the writings of Thomas Jefferson and go from there.
Thomas Jefferson was one man - an American like myself and you - if you are an American. Individuals are allowed to have their own opinions in this great land of ours. Thomas Jefferson was a desist - that his views on religion differ from mine is irrelevant. He was a great man whose writings have influenced many great thinkers and doers. Using his views on religion as ammunition against my position, fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies