Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Murder and theft to start with. The list of laws that are influenced by religious ideas is very long. Shall I continue?
Find me one that doesn't have a viable secular purpose. (And you might be able to, some still exist. When they've been tested in court, they've been found unconstitutional every time.)

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Which is precisely why civil rights should never bu subject to popular vote.
You have failed to establish why homosexual marriage is a "civil right".

Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Fiyero: We have laws to protect ALL citizens. Bullying, murder, etc. are applicable to ALL citizens. When you start providing special laws for gays or other protected special interest groups then you have a problem. Why don't we enforce the laws when crimes are committed? Bullying is wrong no matter who is involved. No special "rights"!!!
So you think that homosexuals gaining the same rights as you have somehow makes them "special"?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Why not? If the majority of people voted to enact such a law - then it is the law. And why are you making assumptions about what I believe?
Because we're not a direct democracy. The majority cannot vote to take away the rights of the minority. No true direct democracy that I'm aware of has ever existed. Even Athens wasn't a true democracy and they invented it.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Why not? If the majority of people voted to enact such a law - then it is the law.
So ANY law that can get support of 50%+1 of the population ought be considered valid and legitimate?

Reenact slavery? Mandate death to this or that race? How about imprisoning people for adultery?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
There are 1,500+ posts in this thread, alone, and it, like the milky way galaxy, is just one of billions like it on this very board. That's been established over and over again, you just don't like the answer.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Find me one that doesn't have a viable secular purpose. (And you might be able to, some still exist. When they've been tested in court, they've been found unconstitutional every time.)
What secular purposes do laws against murder and theft serve? After all, secular law allows for theft(confiscation of earned money) and murder(execution of inmates). How can you say that prohibitions against murder and theft do not have religious origins.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Observant Muslims shouldn't apply for jobs as bacon tasters. That's not bigotry.
you just want to force a Muslim who has been a taste tester for lamb, to suddenly taste bacon, just because you want him to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Likewise, city clerks who find themselves unable to cope with their religious hang-ups have a completely misconstrued idea of their relative importance. Public servants are not there to make the rules, they're there to carry them out.
you are trying to dramatically fundamentally alter marriage and telling everyone they must except it, or be insulted, maligned, fired from their job, etc... all because gays want to force everyone to endorse their lifestyle choice.

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Because the Supreme Court said marriage is a fundamental civil right, and cannot be denied on the basis of a protected class.

Sex is a protected class. Allowing a man to marry a woman, but not a man, solely because he's a man, is discrimination under US law.

Why is this so hard for you all to grasp. Why are you even participating in this discussion? It's obvious you have no intention of your views even slightly budging, and it's obvious you're not interested in educating yourself on why your views are wrong.

So why are you here?

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
What you consider indecent others do not. You do not get to make that assessment.

When animals learn to communicate and give informed consent, then I will approve of bestiality, even though it personally repulses me. When that happens, do get back to me.
what I said was that if this generation is for every other debauchery the next generation will be in favor of bestiality.

remember the way you feel about bestiality your great grand parents felt about homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies