Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I recently watched a documentary about gangs in America. The show pointed out that among minorities gang members span generations. One minority woman, a black, had sixteen children in seventeen years by multiple men. Three of the oldest children were in jail and gang members. The other children were either in a gang or being groomed to be in gang or too young. The show was about gangs but I could not help to try to understand how one woman could bring sixteen children into this world without a job or a husband.

With most whites having one or two children it is easy to see how the minorities are now becoming the majority.
Oh there has never been a White American gang that spanned generations, such as the Mafia? Let's not forget Irish gangs in cities like Boston, Providence, and Philadelphia and other various cities that span generations.

So what's you point, REALLY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeNomad View Post
Any sane person can't be happy with this.
Especially if they are a bigots.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:54 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We were already more diverse than any other country. Most of this birth explosion is by illegal alien Mexicans and other Latinos.

You call that diversity and that gets you all giddy?

Why are you not begging Japan, Mexico, etc. to become more diverse? Why is it only dominantly white-non hispanic countries are expected to "brown up" and lose their identities as a nation but not the other way around?

Why the double standard?
The articles talk about the race/ethnicity of children being born in the United States. Thus, they're all American citizens. Regardless of where their parents came from, the children, aka the people that the articles actually talk about, are all Americans.

Yes, I very much enjoy the multi-culturalism of the USA.

Why would I? I'm not Japanese, Mexican, etc. I am American. I don't care what they do. Also, who is "expecting us to brown up"? I've never been informed by anybody that they expected us to "brown up". I must have missed that memo.
Also, I fundamentally disagree that we're "losing our identity" as a nation. The rudimentary identity of the US is multi-culturalism and diversity (even among members of the same race). Our melting pot culture IS our identity and it's one of the things that makes us great and who we are as a nation.

I don't have a double standard, but it would seem that many posters here do. Unless you're a native American, then we all came from a diverse range of immigrants from all over the planet.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,226,364 times
The face of America is changing. For the first time in U.S. history, Minorities make up the majority of babies in this nation. Hispanics make up America's largest minority group, followed by African-Americans and then Asians. This is actually a huge deal because there are political implications. Minorities tend to vote for democrats so what does this mean for the GOP twenty or thirty years from now when this majority will be voting? The GOP is not helping matters with their stand on immigration. Whats worse for the GOP is that Hispanics don't just live in the big urban areas. They are moving into the "red states" in big numbers like North Carolina. Its part of the reason NC is becoming a purple state. So the electoral college system won't help republicans. America will be a different place indeed in the next two or three decades. By then Spanish will be mandatory in all public schools and children will be expected to speak it fluently. Minority presidents will be more common. But the GOP has a serious problem because Hispanics, blacks, Asians and other minorities vote for the democrats. The GOP is becoming a dying old white mans party.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-17-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
The articles talk about the race/ethnicity of children being born in the United States. Thus, they're all American citizens. Regardless of where their parents came from, the children, aka the people that the articles actually talk about, are all Americans.

Yes, I very much enjoy the multi-culturalism of the USA.

Why would I? I'm not Japanese, Mexican, etc. I am American. I don't care what they do. Also, who is "expecting us to brown up"? I've never been informed by anybody that they expected us to "brown up". I must have missed that memo.
Also, I fundamentally disagree that we're "losing our identity" as a nation. The rudimentary identity of the US is multi-culturalism and diversity (even among members of the same race). Our melting pot culture IS our identity and it's one of the things that makes us great and who we are as a nation.

I don't have a double standard, but it would seem that many posters here do. Unless you're a native American, then we all came from a diverse range of immigrants from all over the planet.
You obviously don't read much. Liberals and many minorities are always screaming that America needs to be less white. Why? What's wrong with being more white than brown, black or yellow? I don't have a problem with Mexico being predominantly more brown or Africa being more black (and I am not really referring to skin color here). Why the double standard for this country?

We have an identifying language and culture whether you want to admit it or not. If not mainstream it is a minority culture. I don't mind minority cultures living here but we shouldn't have to lose our own identity over that especially via illegal immigration. You think that kind of demographic change is acceptable?

I have never said that not all races are Americans that ARE Americans. So where are you getting that? Yes, we all came from immigrant ancestors but the thing is we adopted one language as our own and one identifying culture. "Out of many ONE".

What is happening today is not the melting pot but a salad bowl of competing cultures refusing to assimilate to the main culture of this country. Many Hispanics in particular are guilty of this. It is just the facts.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The face of America is changing. For the first time in U.S. history, Minorities make up the majority of babies in this nation. Hispanics make up America's largest minority group, followed by African-Americans and then Asians. This is actually a huge deal because there are political implications. Minorities tend to vote for democrats so what does this mean for the GOP twenty or thirty years from now when this majority will be voting? The GOP is not helping matters with their stand on immigration. Whats worse for the GOP is that Hispanics don't just live in the big urban areas. They are moving into the "red states" in big numbers like North Carolina. So the electoral college system won't help republicans. America will be a different place indeed in the next two or three decades. By then Spanish will be mandatory in all public schools and children will be expected to speak it fluently. Minority presidents will be more common. But the GOP has a serious problem because Hispanics, blacks, Asians and other minorities vote for the democrats. The GOP is becoming a dying old white mans party.
Yeah, Hispanics are the fastest growing ethnic group directly due to illegal immigration and anchor babies and Americans should be happy about that?

Yes, we already know why many minorities are Democrats. It is because they like the social handouts that they give them. Hispanics like them because they keep promising amnesty for their illegal amigos. Neither of these reasons sound like reasons that are based on the national interests but self-serving ones.

Oh stop with the race card! In spite of the above there are many minorities that are Republicans also. I am sick of this white-race hating that is going on in this country today. It seems like no matter what we do to correct the past far too many minorities keep a chip on their shoulders and stay on the victim bandwagon.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Human nature just isn't like that. You cannot have a cohesive country without one dominant culture and language.
Yes you can, and at some point there will be balance.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Yes you can, and at some point there will be balance.
Nope, history is rife with nations that failed because of this.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times
Quote:
You obviously don't read much. Liberals and many minorities are always screaming that America needs to be less white. Why? What's wrong with being more white than brown, black or yellow? I don't have a problem with Mexico being predominantly more brown or Africa being more black (and I am not really referring to skin color here). Why the double standard for this country?

We have an identifying language and culture whether you want to admit it or not. If not mainstream it is a minority culture. I don't mind minority cultures living here but we shouldn't have to lose our own identity over that especially via illegal immigration. You think that kind of demographic change is acceptable?

I have never said that not all races are Americans that ARE Americans. So where are you getting that? Yes, we all came from immigrant ancestors but the thing is we adopted one language as our own and one identifying culture. "Out of many ONE".

What is happening today is not the melting pot but a salad bowl of competing cultures refusing to assimilate to the main culture of this country. Many Hispanics in particular are guilty of this. It is just the facts.

Yeah, you're right, I don't read much That's rich lol.
Can you point us to a legitimate source where "liberals and many minorities" are "SCREAMING" that America needs to be "less white"? Again, I have to say that I've never heard nor seen anyone telling (let alone screaming) the people of the USA that it needs to be "less white". Maybe it's me

I agree with you 100% that we have an identifying language and culture. The language, obviously, is English. And, like all other immigrant groups before them, Hispanic immigrants and their descendants are learning English and leaving behind their Spanish. It has been demonstrated by a myriad of studies that as the generations progress, Hispanic immigrants (and all others for that matter) eventually leave behind their mother-tongue and eventually know only English, again, just like every other immigrant group. One of the primary reasons that you hear a lot of Spanish on the streets is because we have a lot of first generation immigrants currently. Their children become bi-lingual and their grandchildren often times only speak English. In addition to that, many of the people that you may hear speaking Spanish, also speak English as well. In fact, I cannot recall a single time when I have seen a group of young, Hispanic Americans hanging out together and not speaking English. Not one time, and I live in Southern California. As I have pointed out, all of the studies show that as time (and generations) move on, immigrant groups forget their native tongues. It's happened with all other groups in the US and it's still happening now.

Hispanic Attitudes Toward Learning English - The Pew Charitable Trusts

Princeton University - Massey study shows rapid loss of Spanish language among Mexican immigrants in the United States

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/us/30immig.html

Also, like I mentioned above, yes, I agree that we have a single culture/identity as well and, like I mentioned in my previous post, that culture IS a multi-cultural and melting pot culture. Therefore, and as I stated previously, I fundamentally disagree that we're "losing our identity". In addition, illegal immigration has substantially slowed down in recent times to the point where the cross-border exchange is virtually zero. Now, this has many factors contributing to it (economy, etc.), no doubt, but it doesn't take away from the fact the illegal immigrant border-crossing are virtually at a stand-still.

America is losing as many illegal immigrants as it’s gaining | The Great Debate

Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero

Study: Net Migration from Mexico Drops to Zero

And, yes, I don't mind demographic changes. Believe it or not, they don't scare me as they seem to do others...

You said that, "Most of this birth explosion is by illegal alien Mexicans and other Latinos" and I simply pointed out that, no, this "birth explosion" and the people that the article is actually talking about are all Americans who were born in the US. They are not illegal aliens at all.

I disagree, completely. I see Hispanics assimilating all around me (this is especially true of the young (my) generation of Hispanics that are VERY much American, in spite of the fact that many of them have immigrant parents) and, like I said, I live in Southern California. Do you have any actual, credible proof that Hispanics are not assimilating? Because all of the actual, competent studies confirm that the opposite is in fact true (in terms of language, intermarriage, progression of incomes, educational achievement, etc.) I guess some people just prefer fear-mongering and ignorance rather than facts. Go figure

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...ion_report.pdf

The Great Assimilation Machine - WSJ.com

I'm sure you won't believe neither me nor my sources and that you'll somehow find a way to justify your mis-guided, ignorant, and incorrect ideas to yourself. After all, it is me who doesn't read much right?!? LOL. But hey, I wouldn't expect anything less. So you have a great time with all of that, get some help in the meantime, and have a good life. I'm outta here!

EDIT: I must also thank you for the reputation points that I have been receiving! Gracias amigo!

Last edited by CityLover9; 05-17-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM

290 posts, read 176,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Especially if they are a bigots.
Nope. Just smart enough to see what this is leading to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies