Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM

24 posts, read 25,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Citizens of a country shouldn't fight an illegal invasion of their country? Do you think that Mexicans would roll over for an illegal invasion by Chinese for example into their country? Don't know if we loyal, law abiding Americans will win but we'd be fools and cowards not to fight this fight. A fight can be won without using weapons you know.

Son? LOL! I am a senior female. So much for your assumptions!

Illegal Chinese invasion is already happening in California. I don't see you upset about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times
So if these so-called "minorities" are now making up the majority, then, please, could we all just stop calling them minorities?!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Unfortunately, because I am socially liberal, and because a lot of new immigrants bring with them old world social values, my biggest fear is that the passing on of the white liberal will lead to the rise of the superstitious third world social mores and adoption of maladaptive cultural tendencies writ large.

I don't think race dictates culture, however, so I'm relatively optimistic that Americanization is a force greater than balkanization.
You fears of "Old World Values" are founded on anecdotal experiences. I perfectly understand that especially if you have experiences with upper middle to upper class Latinos of European descent This group does not represent the majority of Hispanics in this country.

Research based on empirical evidence seems to suggest that your views are unfounded.

V. Politics, Values and Religion | Pew Hispanic Center

Quote:
[b]Much has been made about the socially conservative views of Hispanics. This is true on some specific issues (such as abortion), yet results from the survey suggest that Hispanics are no more or less likely than the general public to describe their political views as conservative. Some 32% of Hispanics and 34% of all U.S. adults say their political views are “very conservative” or “conservative.”

However, Latinos are more likely than the general public to describe their views as liberal. Overall, 30% of Latino adults say this, while just 21% of all U.S. adults say the same.
The evidence in regards to same sex marriage also shows the Hispanics are NOT quite as "conservative" as many would like to believe.

Most Say Homosexuality Should Be Accepted By Society - Pew Research Center

Quote:
There also are gender and racial differences: More women than men favor societal acceptance of homosexuality (64% vs. 52%). Hispanics (64%) and whites (58%) are more supportive of this than are African Americans (49%).
And yes there is racism in Latin America but based on my personal experiences in several Latin America countries education, income, and social connections tends to trump race. Also Latin America is seeing a substantial growth of the middle class in places like Brazil, Colombia, Panama, and other Latin American countries that tends to cut across what Americans call "racial" lines.

Last, liberal philosophical beliefs tend to be closely tied to levels of educational attainment. As I presented earlier in this thread more Hispanics are getting educated.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
So if these so-called "minorities" are now making up the majority, then, please, could we all just stop calling them minorities?!
What would you call them then? Would you just bunch them up into a group and call them non-whites? They are still minorities the article is say the the minority groups put together are greater than the majority group: White people. Words semantics.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Ciano View Post
Illegal Chinese invasion is already happening in California. I don't see you upset about it.
There are far more illegal hispanics.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fair point.

However, why don't you right wing types show JUST ONCE that you're willing to board up ONE major corporation and shut it down for hiring illegals? I can point out several on my own that has hundreds of illegals working there right now as i type.

But you guys always make excuses for your corporate masters that recruit these people for cheap labor. That's because you agree with the economic model, but you then want these people to simply vanish into thin air once their shift is over.

Doesn't work that way.
Yes we need stiffer penalties for employers.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
What would you call them then? Would you just bunch them up into a group and call them non-whites? They are still minorities the article is say the the minority groups put together are greater than the majority group: White people. Words semantics.
Hispanics should no longer be called a minority since they are just about a majority in every major city.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeNomad View Post
Do you even have a clue as to what that mean's?
Pretty sure you do........

Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Hispanics should no longer be called a minority since they are just about a majority in every major city.
Huh? When they are referred to as minorities it is population for the united states not individual cities.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Ciano View Post
All your post are about race. I bet you mad that all this babies are American citizens?
I was replying to the person who first mentioned race. You apparently haven't read all of my posts. I have often said that this isn't about race or skin color but culture to me. So put your race card back in your wallet. Yes, it is sad that babies of illegal alien parents regardless of what country they come from are made citizens of this country at birth. Makes a mockery of our citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies