Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

I look forward to another 150 years from now when most people in the country will have very mixed ethnicities so we can move past racial definitions and just hate each other based upon things like political affiliation, soccer team and geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Only, again, because the majority of the growth comes from south of the border, with its own version of colorism and hierarchy, if you expect some groundswell of kumbayaism or shift towards "more equality for minorities," because "change in cultural ideas about race".... you might find that traditional American minority groups (AKA, blacks), will be in the same position -- or even WORSE -- "culturally," speaking.

Again, we already have an idea of what this potential future can look like. It's called Miami. White Latinos and White Anglos living in high end areas, representing the top of the pyramid and resources heap. Various other latino groups ranked according to a complex system based on heritage (Cubans and Argentinians thinking they're the best, followed by Colombian, Venezuelans, and Mexicans/Central Americans looked down upon).... with black Americans marginalized on the outskirts of society, and dually discriminated against for being neither Latino, nor acceptable in color.

The resources accumulated over a period of hundreds of years head start aren't going to magically be redistributed. In fact, the inherited wealth will just be passed on to fewer individuals than previous.

"Numbers" do not = power. Again, one has only to look at Jewish people to see how a group that's... what... 2% of the population?... can represent up to 30% of representation in business and law and medicine!
So is all of this just a roundabout way of saying that blacks need to lock arms with whites AGAINST the coming Latino groundswell? Because that seems to be the case you're making without really coming out and saying so.

If so, all i can say is that i disagree wholeheartedly. Whites keep playing this thing as if blacks have the most to lose, but if that were the case, whites wouldn't be so paranoid about it. They're paranoid about it because they see THEMSELVES losing power. Whites have never given a damn about black folks' skin in the game one way or the other, and they damn sure don't care now.

As a black man, i'm not getting caught in the middle of this nonsense. I'm not going to be marginalized by the coming Hispanic groundswell, so i really don't care.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I look forward to another 150 years from now when most people in the country will have very mixed ethnicities so we can move past racial definitions and just hate each other based upon things like political affiliation, soccer team and geography.
I wish I could rep you again for that....

I wish I would be here to see it because it is going to DEFINITELY happen that way.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I'm not ashamed of it. I don't steal, I don't mooch and I don't play the knockout game.
Whatever. I'm getting mine, and that's all i care about. I ain't with that poor stuff. That's no way to live in America.

But hey...your life, not mine.

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe you are a little too scientific about it. If they look white they are white, if they look black, they are black etc. Both of my parents are scandinavian, but if someone studied my genes, they might find an Asian or African gene that I didn't know about, and then declare that I am not white after all. Most hispanics look white to me, so in my eyes they are white.
You're using Miami as a microcosm of the Hispanic world, and there is where you go wrong. Most Miami Cubans, anyway, are certainly white or appear so (unlike most of Cuba, which is not white), but most Central and South Americans and Caribbeans, who predominate in NYC and other major cities,are definitely not white. Nor are most of the Mexican and Central American-originated people in places such as Texas or California. Again, it's easy to say with certainty that most people in Latin America are not white. Only Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are predominantly white. The rest of Latin America? Not hardly.

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Human nature just isn't like that. You cannot have a cohesive country without one dominant culture and language. This mulit-cult nonsense drives me insane. I couldn't care less about what race or skin color someone is/has.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whatever. I'm getting mine, and that's all i care about. I ain't with that poor stuff. That's no way to live in America.

But hey...your life, not mine.
Great attitude.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Human nature just isn't like that. You cannot have a cohesive country without one dominant culture and language. This mulit-cult nonsense drives me insane. I couldn't care less about what race or skin color someone is/has.
What are you so damn paranoid about?

This country has ONE dominant culture and ONE dominant language. Everything else exists on the periphery.

Your last sentence simply isn't true.....the other sentences preceding it nullify it.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The resources accumulated over a period of hundreds of years head start aren't going to magically be redistributed. In fact, the inherited wealth will just be passed on to fewer individuals than previous.
You are exactly right. This country will become just another Latin American Country. It will have an white upper class and a brown/black impoverished class.

It seems like the only country on the American Continent with an Middle Class left will be Canada.

I'm wondering when they will build a fence to limit immigration from their neighbors from the South.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Great attitude.
Why thank you.

It's the prevailing attitude worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies