Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seriously? He had to pick Memorial Day weekend for this?

"The TV host said: 'I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words "heroes".
'I feel... uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war.'"

Granted he backpedaled but Memorial Day weekend isn't the time for this.

Read more: Chris Hayes: Outrage as TV host says he is 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers 'heroes' | Mail Online
I think what is disturbing is that he said anything at all if he feels uncomfortable but not unconfortable about using this day to promote his political views.I could careless about such people's opinions; reporters or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Well look who came to his senses and apologized-ish.

Quote:
Hayes -- who during his Sunday show admitted his concerns might not be justified, while acknowledging there are definite individual examples of heroism -- released a statement later Monday saying he is "deeply sorry" for the gaffe.

"As many have rightly pointed out, it's very easy for me, a TV host, to opine about the people who fight our wars, having never dodged a bullet or guarded a post or walked a mile in their boots. Of course, that is true of the overwhelming majority of our nation's citizens as a whole," he said.

Read more: MSNBC host Hayes apologizes for saying he is 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers heroes - NYPOST.com

MSNBC host Hayes apologizes for saying he is 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers heroes - NYPOST.com

Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
Why is her son a hero?. He was getting paid to be a soldier, that was is job. Perhaps he became a soldier to go to war. if soldiers go to war and come back after killing, enemies, woman and children, for what ever reason. is an ocasion to celebrate. but if they get kill, people act like if they were inocent, and were taken advantage of them. they went to another country and invaded that country, and that country is in wrost shape than before. its not like if they where protecting america from invation or something. And get ready couse we might invade iran with the same pretext we use to invade irak.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
We honor those who deserve honoring and it's a day to honor those in the military. It doesn't mean everyone in uniform is a hero, that's just the kind of hyperbole we are all so fond of.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Honestly...who cares about the opinion of another third-rate talking head on BSNBC? I understand that they feel some need to "hire the handicapped"...but that doesn't mean that anyone has to watch them.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seriously? He had to pick Memorial Day weekend for this?

"The TV host said: 'I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words "heroes".
'I feel... uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war.'"

Granted he backpedaled but Memorial Day weekend isn't the time for this.

Read more: Chris Hayes: Outrage as TV host says he is 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers 'heroes' | Mail Online
The reporter, like some here on CD, would be better served by keeing their big yap shut during a weekend when this Nation honors those that fell in the service of our Nation, if he worked for me he would have been fired

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The reporter, like some here on CD, would be better served by keeing their big yap shut during a weekend when this Nation honors those that fell in the service of our Nation, if he worked for me he would have been fired
"service of our nation"- willing to do anything for the government including murder, in order to receive pay and bennies

Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Just as blacks are insulted as a group with usage of the N word, military families are insulted when some jerk says their loved ones, especially those who have died in battle, are not heroes.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We honor those who deserve honoring and it's a day to honor those in the military. It doesn't mean everyone in uniform is a hero, that's just the kind of hyperbole we are all so fond of.
This!

While watching the video link about the nut in Miami eating anther's face; the reference by a cop at a press conference describing the respondant cop who finally shot the guy after he refused to stop eating, as a hero. He's not a hero, he did his job with no threat to himself being present The perp was busy chowing down for cry'n out loud.

This in my mind devalues the the descriptor of "hero" and it's true meaning and along with it, those who earned that descriptor in the past. this cop might get an award for the wrong reasons of promoting morale and community relations while cheapening the word "hero" for others who truly deserve it.

Continually using that word to describe everyone from the fireman getting a cat out of a tree to a pet dog waking a family at night during a fire does a disservice to all of those "true heros" who risked and perhaps lost their very lives to facilitate the survival of others.

I have always questioned the propensity of awarding medals for perhaps a decision made by a rear echelon officer, well out of harms way, that resulted in some successful mission, be it the delivery of munitions to a unit needing them at a critical juncture of an operation or even a guy way back there in a command centre who said "take that hill at all costs".

How is one to understand the value of that piece of lettuce on his tunic when the guy standing beside him wearing class "A's" has the same colour bar but got his for throwing himself on a grenade to save his buddies and lived to tell the tale.

I'd ignore the one and salute the other, but how do you know if you give them out for either happenstance!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 AM

503 posts, read 807,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"service of our nation"- willing to do anything for the government including murder, in order to receive pay and bennies
which in turn allows cowardly people to make statements like this.

It's only through their efforts that people can make idiotic statements like this.

You attack them wholesale, yet it's their efforts that protect your ability to say crap like this.

One day, you'll need a police officer, fireman or military member and they'll be there despite your outright hatred of everything they stand for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies