Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The reporter, like some here on CD, would be better served by keeing their big yap shut during a weekend when this Nation honors those that fell in the service of our Nation, if he worked for me he would have been fired
Seriously?

Yes, it is good to honor our military.
But, they are human, just like everyone else.
They are not demi-gods as some on this board seem to believe.

And as has already been noted, when everyone gets a trophy, or is called a "hero," what may have once been meaningful is reduced to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Seriously?

Yes, it is good to honor our military.
But, they are human, just like everyone else.
They are not demi-gods as some on this board seem to believe.

And as has already been noted, when everyone gets a trophy, or is called a "hero," what may have once been meaningful is reduced to nothing.
Clue: Memorial Day is not about honoring our Vets, it about honoring those that Died while serving ths Nation. So, Yes, Seriously Memorial Day was NOT the time or place for the idiot to bring up their own issues. Now if he had brought this up another time I would be open to further discussion on the issue.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief!
I am so glad that I see every one of them as hero's
I would love all of the folks here speaking such crap were dropped off in the middle of a war zone
then see how quick they would beg for our brave and our finest to come save their sorry asses!!
THEN would they be hero's????
I try to take to time when I see a solider to hug them and tell them they are my hero
and thank them for their service
have we become so frigging low class we can not even take the fact that our fallen are hero's
because they risked it all and then gave their life to serve us the country!??
the very ones saying such vile things and a solider died so you can say it!
scum, every damned one of you!
I believe as you do. When i see servicemen and service women, i also thank them, and shake their hand.
To the family's who have lost their loved ones, while serving, i am sure their child is a hero to them, and that is all that matters.
We need to be thankful, that there are brave souls out there, willing to protect and serve, for us the people, the Country, and if you want to believe ok the government.,
But they are out there, putting their lives on the line, and that to me is definitly worth so much.
I am grateful to our fallen hero's of the past, the present, and unfortunatly the future.
Your right talking cheap talk, ain't nothing unless one experiences the horros of war, and being in combat. The effects it has on one's life when they are out of the military, is not as easy a thing as it sounds. I have known many a brave soul, who their war, was also when they were out of the military, and their lives now have to begin.
To those who feel these brave people are hero's that is more then acceptable too!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seriously? He had to pick Memorial Day weekend for this?

"The TV host said: 'I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words "heroes".
'I feel... uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war.'"
I feel the same way. To hell with all the war-mongering crap.

No American has died in defense of his country since 1783; all the rest have died because of idiotic rivalries or worse.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Perhaps if the draft were reinstituted, you would be more likely to see volunteer soldiers as heroes.
I sincerely hope that observation was made in mockery.

The draft, which some pf the elitists want to reinstate on all young people, regardless of sex, for example, would just be one more form of particularly odious personal tax --- if you had no money for it to take, the state would now demand your time for the phony pursuit of a "common good" (as the power-brokers decide to define it).

If we ever sunk to that, we might as well be living in Hitler's Germany, Stalin's Russia, or Mao's China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies