Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I see very little difference between your average Bible bangor and political hardliner. neither is willing to think for themselves and niether is willing to look at their belief system and question its veracity. Because I said so seems to be the driving point for both.
I think that's a false equivalency. A political hardliner can normally supply testable evidence and a reasoned argument for their position. A bible thumper claims to have a personal relationship with an invisible, inaudible creator of the universe of which there is no evidence for.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
I especially enjoy when they quote from the bible with the assumption that everyone is Christian and I guess just hasn't stumbled across that verse yet.

Well, I'm not Christian, so quoting the bible at me is next to useless. I don't care if the bible said it or not...I'm still not obligated to agree with it or believe it myself.

I also find it amusing how people assume the only thing stopping people like myself from following their God is lack of faith or proof. The biblical God could appear before me and shake my hand and I still wouldn't worship him. I don't worship bullies who kill first born sons to make a point.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,294,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
people say all kinds of things like its fact , confusing opinion with fact is the norm for most people

Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I suppose it's because they believe in the Bible. Can you prove what they are quoting is not correct? I don't think so.
Doesn't matter. That makes it folklore. You don't prove your point or justify the vilification of those you don't like with folklore.

Not to mention religion is a choice. As I don't choose to be a christian, but follow the Old Religion, nobody should be pushing their agenda on me. I don't push mine on them. Blessed be, all.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
hmmm Lets see....

Thou shalt not commit murder
Thou shalt not steal.....
Thou shalt not bear false witness......

Don't believe it????
These are fundamental rules all societies accept, christian religion or not. The first recorded code is the code of Hamarabi, who wrote laws for Babalonian society. He predated the christians. Some things are just common sense but don't prove the rest is true.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Actually, there is a lot in the Bible that is sound advice and common sense. It isn't all about worshiping a Higher Being.

Ex: "Cast your bread upon the waters and it shall return to you a hundredfold."

"As a man thinks in his heart, so he is."

Don't steal, don't lie, treat people fairly, be kind to other people, etc.
then strip out the religious/jesus/hellect crap and call it a guide to living. But remember to strip out the parts about not respecting those who aren't you or like you too.

Any collection of folklore will contain a good dose of common sense since that is how it grows and connects with reality.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I have to admit that during a conversation/discussion on here if someone uses scripture or a verse or quotation from the Bible as an opening statement the first thing that goes through my head is that they lack an ability to think for themselves. It's the same if they say "The Bible says........" and assume that i will accept that as fact.

However that isn't always the case. There are some on here that quite obviously are believers and can hold a discussion without using the Bible to fall-back on but are able to think and use the Bible as part of their analysis of the topic. They use it to support their argument not as their argument.

Some believe that God created man in his image and that God is able to think for himself. Some believe that God created man in his image and that God is an unthinking follower.

Just my thoughts..
But, claiming the Bible as a source to back up an argument is assuming its true and the others believe. To me that sort of reference throws it all out the window. Perhaps they ought to look more at history and real known things if they wish to really make their points.

Just believing in your own religious doctrine does not make it true to anyone but believers in your doctrince, nor does it mean it must be. Keep religion in a private place where it should be.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
The Bible is, in addition to other things, history and cumulative wisdom of the ages. Not all of those crazy "laws" in the OT are applicable in today's world but for the time and the people they were intended for, it was appropriate. To discard the entire Bible, simply because it's "the Bible" and you don't accept it, is to throw out the baby with the bath water.
But its not history. Its folklore. In folklore stories get shifted and changed to prove your point. Would you cite Grimm's fairy tales for a point? The stories they tell are absolutely descriptive in a filtered way of the world which created them. Hansel and Greta were some of the children routienly abandoned in the forest in real life when their parents couldn't feel the whole family. Would you use that to explain or justify?

Bible stories may or may not be true, might have been edited ten fold, and the history is always told from the winners side. It's used in archelology as a guide of what might be, but reality is that often its not quite true. Later, with the new testamant, it was used politically to sway who you wanted and justify the existance of a heirarchy. Take very lightly any history you see and see it through the veil of propaganda.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Yes we all saw & heard firsthand the biased news in their botched attempts to portray the truth in the Trevyon Martin case! CLASSIC EXAMPLE!!

The bible however is based on the translation of the original manuscripts!

The "dead sea scrolls" & the book of Isaiah is proof of that!

Perfect precision cannot evolve through chaos!

Our universe is magnificently designed!

The bible is FACT: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth!

The bible was written for "children" to understand. Adults cannot grasp or understand the simplicity of the salvation story!

The whole story of the bible is the redemption of mankind BECAUSE of his depraved character! (All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God).

There is none righteous - no not even one.

SO - WHY ARE people like you so surprised? When you meet or see a sinner doing something wrong?? You can't wait to point a finger and say .. I found one!!

Now; .. .. that is real news reporting @ its finest!!
Your proselytizing is such a turn-off and totally not in the spirit of Christ.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
Quote:
The Bible is, in addition to other things, history and cumulative wisdom of the ages. Not all of those crazy "laws" in the OT are applicable in today's world but for the time and the people they were intended for, it was appropriate. To discard the entire Bible, simply because it's "the Bible" and you don't accept it, is to throw out the baby with the bath water.
I can get the same wisdom that's in the Bible from Aesop's fables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies