Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData
The bible however is based on the translation of the original manuscripts!

The "dead sea scrolls" & the book of Isaiah is proof of that!

Perfect precision cannot evolve through chaos!

Our universe is magnificently designed!

The bible is FACT: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth!

The bible was written for "children" to understand. Adults cannot grasp or understand the simplicity of the salvation story!

The whole story of the bible is the redemption of mankind BECAUSE of his depraved character! (All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God).

There is none righteous - no not even one.
Therein lies the problem. To a non-believer, your post is gibberish. Just because you say so, doesn't make it true.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Considering I'm not a Christian, and don't care about other peoples "sins" unless they are harming someone, I'm not really sure who you are talking to about pointing fingers.

I say live and let live. If you want to live your life based on bronze age writings, go for it. Just don't expect me to.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Bible quotes are not cited with an expectation that one just believe them and not investigate. On the contrary - they are stated as founts of truth - and it is incumbent on someone who hears them to verify the source just as they would any other citation. I think the OP has stated this thread with some presumption. Now, you may disagree with what the Bible claims, and that is no different then holding an opinion on the veracity of some other writing.

A bible quote is an invitation to search the scriptures and reason. God said in the book of Isaiah, "Come, let us reason together". One of the epistle writers exhorted Christians to "always be ready to give an answer for the hope that lies within you" and Paul wrote to Timothy that "all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness".

Now, I have just quoted some Scriptures. Don't just take them at face value - but read the Bible and learn their truth for yourself.

However, I fear that many have prejudice against the Bible and will reject it without even bothering to study. Jesus talks about people like this - he calls them blind and deaf. Open your mind and seek truth.

Jesus also said, "You shall know the truth, and it shall set you free".

Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
This thread is a perfect example of "casting pearls before swine".

Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM

344 posts, read 396,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
It kind of reminds me of the time I was watching a Nascar race with my father and before the race started they had a prayer over the loudspeakers. At the end of the prayer the minister said, "in Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen". I turned to my father and jokingly said, "Well, so much for the Muslims and Hindus in the crowd."

Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But, claiming the Bible as a source to back up an argument is assuming its true and the others believe. To me that sort of reference throws it all out the window. Perhaps they ought to look more at history and real known things if they wish to really make their points.

Just believing in your own religious doctrine does not make it true to anyone but believers in your doctrince, nor does it mean it must be. Keep religion in a private place where it should be.
Yes...basically it shuts down communication. If a Christian is advocating for something such as banning gay marriage and their only argument is quoting the Bible, there's no possible conversation. I don't care if the bible straight up said 'don't marry the homos'...it's not my religion, so why should it matter to me what your book says? How can we have a dialogue if there is no reasoning going on other than quotations from a religious text?

It's like if I whipped out my favorite book, The Book of Sorrows, which happens to be a sort of semi-religious allegory involving self-sacrificing chickens (no, really, it's a great book.) One of my favorite lines is 'everyone cut, cuts back.' If I used that quote to advocate for laws physically punishing criminals and seeking revenge and that single line in a book was my ONLY justification for that belief, everyone would treat me (and rightfully so) as an idiot. They would probably try to bring up actual facts, statistics, and reasoning to refute this idea (or facts, statistics, and reasoning to agree with it). And if I just put my hands over my ears and kept shouting 'everyone cut, cuts back!', sooner or later I'd be left talking to myself.

Yet for some reason some (not all) Christians think similar behavior is a reasoned defense of their beliefs.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Bible quotes are not cited with an expectation that one just believe them and not investigate. On the contrary - they are stated as founts of truth - and it is incumbent on someone who hears them to verify the source just as they would any other citation. I think the OP has stated this thread with some presumption. Now, you may disagree with what the Bible claims, and that is no different then holding an opinion on the veracity of some other writing.

A bible quote is an invitation to search the scriptures and reason. God said in the book of Isaiah, "Come, let us reason together". One of the epistle writers exhorted Christians to "always be ready to give an answer for the hope that lies within you" and Paul wrote to Timothy that "all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness".

Now, I have just quoted some Scriptures. Don't just take them at face value - but read the Bible and learn their truth for yourself.

However, I fear that many have prejudice against the Bible and will reject it without even bothering to study. Jesus talks about people like this - he calls them blind and deaf. Open your mind and seek truth.

Jesus also said, "You shall know the truth, and it shall set you free".
Have you read the religious texts of all other religions?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Yes...basically it shuts down communication. If a Christian is advocating for something such as banning gay marriage and their only argument is quoting the Bible, there's no possible conversation. I don't care if the bible straight up said 'don't marry the homos'...it's not my religion, so why should it matter to me what your book says? How can we have a dialogue if there is no reasoning going on other than quotations from a religious text?
You've just described every gay marriage thread on the entire forum.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Have you read the religious texts of all other religions?
I own copies of the Qur'an and the Book of Mormon. I have read them. I once seriously considered becoming a Muslim.

I have not read the Satanist's Bible.

I also highly doubt that you have read the religious texts of all other religions - there are too many for anyone but a religious studies major to do so.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Because they use the bible as a replacement for thinking for themselves and using logic....all that thinky stuff wears them out
God's ways are higher than man's ways... God knows all, from beginning to end. One is not educated in the spirit if the don't know the word of God. We are more spirit than flesh. It is the Holy Spirit that is the teacher. To not have he Holy Spirit given to them through Jesus Christ the word of God cannot be understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies