Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:06 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Because they use the bible as a replacement for thinking for themselves and using logic....all that thinky stuff wears them out
Crud, I can't rep you!

Love the post though.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Yep. Faith precludes reason. As a Catholic I believe that the bread and wine at Mass are transformed into the actual body and blood of Christ. Do I recognize how insane this makes me sound to people who aren't Catholics? Absolutely. And I'm ok with that.
But don't you ever ask yourself why you have to believe that?

What is the purpose?

Who told you it was the body and blood of Christ?

Don't you question what their authority/knowledge/reason was??

If you didn't believe it what would happen to you?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I suppose it's because they believe in the Bible. Can you prove what they are quoting is not correct? I don't think so.
There's a guy that stands outside of Madison Square Garden and proclaims that he's god. Can you prove he's not god? The person making the claim bears the burden of proof, not the skeptic rejecting the claim until real evidence is provided.

Quote:
Yep. Faith precludes reason. As a Catholic I believe that the bread and wine at Mass are transformed into the actual body and blood of Christ. Do I recognize how insane this makes me sound to people who aren't Catholics? Absolutely. And I'm ok with that.
I can actually accept honesty. But, it takes a lot of congnitive dissonance to engage in an act that you accept as irrational.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
But don't you ever ask yourself why you have to believe that?

What is the purpose?

Who told you it was the body and blood of Christ?

Don't you question what their authority/knowledge/reason was??

If you didn't believe it what would happen to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I can actually accept honesty. But, it takes a lot of congnitive dissonance to engage in an act that you accept as irrational.
Actually, I choose to be pretty unreflexive about it at this point in order to be ok with that dissonance. I actually dated a guy for a bit who talked about my "magical thinking," which I found to be a very polite way of saying, "You're nuts!" I get that it's totally irrational, but that's faith.

I will admit, however, that I think it takes guts to just throw religion out the door. For me it just seems pretty scary, so I guess part of it is also emotional, which is not surprising given that it helps put reason on hold.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,231 times
Quote:
Actually, I choose to be pretty unreflexive about it at this point in order to be ok with that dissonance. I actually dated a guy for a bit who talked about my "magical thinking," which I found to be a very polite way of saying, "You're nuts!" I get that it's totally irrational, but that's faith.

I will admit, however, that I think it takes guts to just throw religion out the door. For me it just seems pretty scary, so I guess part of it is also emotional, which is not surprising given that it helps put reason on hold.
I think you hit on most people's reason for not throwing religion out. It purposefully injects fear into people, not only with the hell nonsense but also and probably even more potent, the fear of being socially ostracized. Without that well cultivated fear, why would any reasonable person persist in doing what they know is completely irrational.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Can you prove that it IS correct? I don't think so.

hmmm Lets see....

Thou shalt not commit murder
Thou shalt not steal.....
Thou shalt not bear false witness......

Don't believe it????

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I think you hit on most people's reason for not throwing religion out. It purposefully injects fear into people, not only with the hell nonsense but also and probably even more potent, the fear of being socially ostracized. Without that well cultivated fear, why would any reasonable person persist in doing what they know is completely irrational.
That's why so many Christians argue that we need more religion not less. When the Big Daddy in the Sky is watching, there's always some incentive to do good rather than ill whether guilt, fear, shame, etc. Without those feelings that come from supernatural surveillance, I think that a lot of Christians think the world would just go to hell in a handbasket. This is when they start throwing out examples of godless communist societies as examples of where we'll be headed.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
hmmm Lets see....

Thou shalt not commit murder
Thou shalt not steal.....
Thou shalt not bear false witness......

Don't believe it????
And as mentioned before, all of those laws and more were covered in the code of Hammurabi long before the bible was written.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Those sources are at least occasionally backed up with facts.

Bible verses, as most frequently used, are simply an appeal to authority. No factual support, just a verse carefully chosen to back up someone's personal opinion.

Personally I try not to use quotes from scripture unless it is in a general way. I am student of life not a teacher after all. Don't take to heart from others who quote or use scripture to try to say their side of it is correct. Those that do that often pervert the word for their own agenda. They are often too busy trying to prove they are right over others when they should be more humble and listening instead.

However to me, the bible is not so much about fact but more about philosophy, but there are many facts that do happen in our lives that scripture communicates to use on how to deal with and maybe make our lives better and more peaceful. It is up to you, not from someone else, to interpret its words.

But the many trials, dilemmas and down points in our lives is covered in those scriptures, jealousy, anger, grief, depression, stress, worship of money and items above life, uncertainty, fear and such and in my opinion it is not so much about conforming to a authority but wisdom to help being authoritative with your own life.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And as mentioned before, all of those laws and more were covered in the code of Hammurabi long before the bible was written.
Hey if you want to go by some exalted prince, who feared Marduk that s fine by me, I'll just keep praying for you........I prefer the inspired word of the Lord!!!!!
BTW most if delt with contract law,wages military service etc...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies