Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I own copies of the Qur'an and the Book of Mormon. I have read them. I once seriously considered becoming a Muslim.

I have not read the Satanist's Bible.

I also highly doubt that you have read the religious texts of all other religions - there are too many for anyone but a religious studies major to do so.
Of course I haven't. I have no intentions of ever doing so. I have read the bible, but only because I was raised in a Christian household.

My point is that you were advocating everyone should read the people and research it for themselves. But if it isn't my faith, why should I read it? Again, there's no wisdom there that I can't find elsewhere or through the process of living. I dismiss the bible not because I am blind or deaf, but because it holds nothing for me. Again you confuse knowledge with faith. I can have knowledge of the bible and still opt not to worship the god it describes. I can even believe in that god and still opt not to worship it.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
You've just described every gay marriage thread on the entire forum.
My point exactly.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Of course I haven't. I have no intentions of ever doing so. I have read the bible, but only because I was raised in a Christian household.

My point is that you were advocating everyone should read the people and research it for themselves. But if it isn't my faith, why should I read it? Again, there's no wisdom there that I can't find elsewhere or through the process of living. I dismiss the bible not because I am blind or deaf, but because it holds nothing for me. Again you confuse knowledge with faith. I can have knowledge of the bible and still opt not to worship the god it describes. I can even believe in that god and still opt not to worship it.
Reading the Bible is a far cry from worshipping God. I responded to someone who seemed to think that people quoting the Bible do so with an expectation that people not investigate the Bible. I countered that claim - and I am not confusing faith with knowledge. One can read the Scriptures and reject them - but rejecting the Bible without reading it is willful ignorance - it is those individuals who I was addressing.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
The same reason people quote newspaper articles, cable TV news, history books and other materials.
This makes no sense. Many Bible verses are based on faith. News and history aren't.

What I wonder is why Jehovah's Witnesses expect to be invited into your home. Isn't that a bit strange, to expect someone to invite strangers into their home? And I can't help noticing that the interpretations they give to Biblical passages don't relate at all to what is actually there in the Bible. It's like they can't read what's right in front of them.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Those sources are at least occasionally backed up with facts.

Bible verses, as most frequently used, are simply an appeal to authority. No factual support, just a verse carefully chosen to back up someone's personal opinion.

You actually believe that black people first came over here during slavery?
You actually believe that Chris Columbus discovered America?
You actually believe that Jesus was born on Dec. 25th?
You actually believe that terrorists with box cutters brought down two buildings in NYC and destroyed part of the Pentagon?
You actually believe bin Laden, a man with reported dire health problems, was murdered last May by American forces?
You actually believe Hitler and America didn't have a working relationship?

Those are just some of the many fairy tales purported by numerous trusted sources.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Reading the Bible is a far cry from worshipping God. I responded to someone who seemed to think that people quoting the Bible do so with an expectation that people not investigate the Bible. I countered that claim - and I am not confusing faith with knowledge. One can read the Scriptures and reject them - but rejecting the Bible without reading it is willful ignorance - it is those individuals who I was addressing.
But we choose to be willfully ignorant of many things that are not part of our lives. I am willfully ignorant of most religions because they are not a part of my life. I am willfully ignorant of the full details of other cultures that are not a part of my life. I'm betting you are the same.

This is basically saying that all Christians must read the full religious texts of all other religions before they can reject them and select Christianity as their belief system. I'm willing to bet there may have been a handful in the history of the religion that have accomplished this. So almost all Christians, including yourself by your own admittance, are guilty of this willful ignorance.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Some of us have read the bible. I did my time in a baptist high school. 3 years of it before I begged my parents to get me out of there. I have also read the Koran, Buddhist texts, the apocrypha, the gnostic texts, Tao texts, Hindu texts, and many more.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
You actually believe bin Laden, a man with reported dire health problems, was murdered last May by American forces?
Time for the Conspiracy Theory thread.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Some of us have read the bible. I did my time in a baptist high school. 3 years of it before I begged my parents to get me out of there. I have also read the Koran, Buddhist texts, the apocrypha, the gnostic texts, Tao texts, Hindu texts, and many more.
Good. I was not addressing you, then.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
Isaac Asimov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies