Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What damage have Christians done to the United States of America?

Before you answer - perhaps you should consider this:

Christians were active in the abolition of slavery, Christians were prominent leaders in the Civil Rights movement(Martin Luther King Jr. was a Christian), Christians were actively involved with immigration settlement houses(such as Hull House - Jane Addams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Christians were leaders in the Progressive Movement of the late 19th Century-early 20th Century, Christians were also leaders in the women's suffrage movement(Susan B. Anthony, for instance), Christians were major proponents of the Civil Rights Bill of 1964.

I could probally go on and on about Christian contributions to the well being of the United States - however, I responded to you, whose claim is that Christians have done a lot of "damage". Do you care to share what damage has been caused specifically by Christians?
As many as 620,000 were killed in your civil war.... Christians wanting the right to own people as sanctioned in the bible, killing Christians opposed to slavery and vice versa...You don't call this damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The world population is a result of heterosexual sex
You have just proven my point that you need a man and a woman to produce another human being.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Sure there are lots of infertile couples and others unable or unwilling to reproduce who adopt, so what? Every single person on Earth was possible only because a man and a woman reproduced. The adopted children the homosexual is so proud of are the exclusive result of heterosexual reproduction.

Or the product of a woman and a doctor.

There are 2.1 million infertile women in America.
FASTSTATS - Infertility
There are approx. 1.2 million homosexuals total in America.
How Many Gay People Are There?

So there are LESS homosexuals, than infertile women. That is not even counting the infertile men.
Maybe since they can't have children we should take away their rights too.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
1) First, judges claimed that marriage belonged under the control of the states rather than the federal government.
2) Second, they began to define and label all interracial relationships (even longstanding, deeply committed ones) as illicit sex rather than marriage.
3) Third, they insisted that interracial marriage was contrary to God's will, and
4) Fourth, they declared, over and over again, that interracial marriage was somehow "unnatural."
On this fourth point--the supposed "unnaturality" of interracial marriage--judges formed a virtual chorus. Here, for example, is the declaration that the Supreme Court of Virginia used to invalidate a marriage between a black man and a white woman in 1878:
The purity of public morals," the court declared, "the moral and physical development of both races….require that they should be kept distinct and separate… that connections and alliances so unnatural that God and nature seem to forbid them, should be prohibited by positive law, and be subject to no evasion.
The fifth, and final, argument judges would use to justify miscegenation law was undoubtedly the most important; it used these claims that interracial marriage was unnatural and immoral to find a way around the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of "equal protection under the laws." How did judges do this? They insisted that because miscegenation laws punished both the black and white partners to an interracial marriage, they affected blacks and whites "equally." This argument, which is usually called the equal application claim, was hammered out in state supreme courts in the late 1870s, endorsed by the United States Supreme Court in 1882, and would be repeated by judges for the next 85 years.
Sound familiar? Didn't work out last time these arguments were used, and it won't work this time either.
History News Network

Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Let me try to help you catch up, although you don't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed yourself, not to mention that you're rude and insulting. I'm a marketing professional--hip generally refers to anything that's a popular part of youth culture. Young people overwhelmingly support gay rights. When companies like JC Penny take a stand on issues that have overwhelming support from kids, they are working to appeal to young customers. Penny's is trying to move from being a haven for polyester pant suited old women to being fresh, trendy, and yes--HIP.

As for the rest of the nonsense you're spewing out--I didn't say being gay was hip. Being gay just "is." You can either accept that around 10% of the people around you are gay, and around 10% have ALWAYS been gay, or you can stick your head in a bucket. However, as I said earlier, supporting gay RIGHTS has become a part of youth culture, with older people moving slowly but surely toward acceptance as well. I think that's a very good thing. In 1959 (my generation), 95% of the population was against mixed race marriages, but young people led the way to make dramatic changes in public opinion and policy on that issue. This is no different. Kids are leading the way with acceptance of gay rights, and it's up to the rest of us to learn a little tolerance from them.
Sigh...

I am 35 - and understand that "gay rights" is nothing but an euthenism for acceptance of a deviant lifestyle. "Your" generation would be my parents generation - i.e the Baby Boomers. My generation(your children) are leading a backlash against free sex, drugs(I do support legalization of most drugs - especially marijuana), and general irresponsibility. You can hide behind what your market surveys tell you, but that is just an excuse to promote something that is wrong. I almost wish that I had been born 20-30 years earlier so that I would have had a chance to prevent what my parent's generation(you and others of your ilk) have done to our Republic. I do not demean my parent's by saying this - whom are both honorable Americans who love our Republic - even though one disagrees with me politically. This nation needs to return to the respect of family, morals, and liberty. Our Republic is eroding by the passing of each day - and people who think like you do are aiding and abetting it.

Let's stop the madness.

God bless America.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Yeah, Yeah, I know. I read comic books. Kids do too.
So what? If you read comic books, I'm sure you already know about the level of violence and sex (non-homosexual) that's also present in them - especially the Japanese Anime/Manga, which is very popular with teens. Do you have a problem with that content too, or just themes of a gay nature? Again, parents can monitor what their children read... and if they don't, I doubt reading about a gay character will turn them into a flaming homosexual.

Quote:
I agree. Just pointing it out - that many gay people are trying to force their agenda - on kids.
No they aren't. There is no "agenda," and nothing is being forced on anyone. Do you not acknowledge that gay people exist in this world, or do you think we should keep them deep in the closet? This isn't exactly an explicit ad, and any child old enough to understand the connotations is old enough to deal with them... my parents never hid this stuff from us, and somehow we all survived okay. We're also all straight, with the exception of our (unofficially) adopted brother - and he was already a teenager & aware of his orientation by the time we "adopted" him.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So what? The point jjrose was making is that many heterosexual couples adopt as well. Are you saying that a man and woman who adopt a child should under no circumstances be called "dad" and "mom"? They're not a mother and father just because they didn't conceive the child physically?

Actually, no. The world population is a result of heterosexual sex and continued nurturing of the offspring produced (which can and has been provided by all sorts of parents). Evidently, many heterosexuals are not that great at following through on plans once started. They are in need of homosexuals, who can at times show them how to be an actual parent

The current status of the system does not necessarily reflect current majority opinion. Polls, which actually do reflect current opinions, show the majority approving gay marriage.

In 2010: Poll: Most Americans Approve of Gay Marriage

In 2011: More Polls Show Shift on Same-Sex Marriage – Dispatches from the Creation Wars

Now: Pew Poll: More Americans Support Gay Marriage : NPR
Support for Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition in Polls - NYTimes.com
Poll: Most Americans support same-sex unions - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Gallup poll on gay marriage: Same-sex relationships moral - POLITICO.com

As for your home state: Daily Kos: 59 percent of California approves of gay*marriage
Wait for election day in both Washington and California(yes - I predict California will have another go at this) and you will see the results - that marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Sigh...

I am 35 - and understand that "gay rights" is nothing but an euthenism for acceptance of a deviant lifestyle.
I'm 35 as well, and apparently understand a bit more than you. First, I understand there is nothing "deviant" about a NATURAL aberration of human sexuality which has existed since the beginning of time. Second, I understand that asking for tolerance, fair representation (in the media), and equal rights is NOT forcing you to accept anything. I don't accept a lot of things other people do, but the only time I care is when it's tangibly hurting someone else. Finally, I understand that being homosexual isn't a lifestyle or even a behavior, it's an innate quality that science has proven exists naturally. You can be celibate and gay, not to mention every gay person lives their life uniquely - so how is it a lifestyle?

You say you're in favor of legalizing marijuana... so does that mean you support everyone smoking it, or think that legalizing will lead to non-smokers taking up the habit? Are pro-legalization lobbyists pushing marijuana on everyone, or implying that children should start smoking? C'mon now! And to flip around your illogical argument, I could say the anti-gay "morality" movement is just a euphemism for hateful bigotry under the guise of caring about our society. Hate to break it to you, but gay people have lived among us for centuries and it hasn't destroyed us yet.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Sigh...

I am 35 - and understand that "gay rights" is nothing but an euthenism for acceptance of a deviant lifestyle.
What deviant lifestyle would that be? You keep pretending to be Christian and not expressing hate, and yet all your posts are nothing but flat out lies and ridicule based on your own pathetic ignorance.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Wait for election day in both Washington and California(yes - I predict California will have another go at this) and you will see the results - that marriage is a union between a man and a woman.
The Church itself endorsed same-sex unions for hundreds of years. This man/woman only thing is a modern invention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies