Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support straight pride parades?
I would support a straight pride parade. 43 30.94%
I would not support a straight pride parade. 61 43.88%
I would seek to have straight pride parades banned if they strated to take place in large numbers. 4 2.88%
I have no opinion. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 AM

30,309 posts, read 18,864,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A comment in another thread got me thinking: since gay pride parades seem to be getting attention - why aren't there many straight pride parades? Is being gay something to be proud of - whereas being straight not something that people think should be promoted as good? Would you support a straight pride parade if one took place in your local area? If straight pride parades became a phenomenon - would you seek to have them banned?

Vote and discuss.

Would we have to dress up in flamboyant/women's clothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,073,317 times
Where is the "I think pride parades oriented around one's sexual preference are stupid" poll option?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,169,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Would we have to dress up in flamboyant/women's clothing?
If that's your preference, then go for it. But then again nobody requires you to do so in the gay pride parade, either.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,318,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A comment in another thread got me thinking: since gay pride parades seem to be getting attention - why aren't there many straight pride parades? Is being gay something to be proud of - whereas being straight not something that people think should be promoted as good? Would you support a straight pride parade if one took place in your local area? If straight pride parades became a phenomenon - would you seek to have them banned?

Vote and discuss.
No, what it means is marginalized groups often do this.

This is human nature. If the society that you live in creates an environment that says people with small feet are blah, blah, blah, blah, pass laws to allow discrimination against those with small feet, then what will happen is that many of those with small feet to reclaim that which is being put down will band together and say we have pride in our small feet and they will hold marches or demonstrations or protests demanding that their small feet not be treated differently.

This is the essence of gay pride parades.

The reason that straight people don't and won't have straight pride parades is because of HUMAN nature being straight is not stigmatized by this society so the many different kinds of straight people in this nation don't identify with other straight people on that basis only.

This is not about homosexuals. This is human nature.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM

15,907 posts, read 21,561,383 times
It's called my future wedding.

Though my future marriage will likely not be accepted by many of the Orthodox in my faith (seeing as how I'm infertile and cannot marry another fertile Jewish man according to Biblical standards), I will never have to FIGHT to get it recognized by law or get the perks associated with a legitimized union just because my relationship is not Kosher among one branch of my faith.

Until others have the same freedom to enter into legitimized relationships, provided both parties can legally consent, then I will be joining them in gay pride events. There would not be a need if not for the institutionalized delegitimization of their relationships.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:56 PM

31,302 posts, read 20,832,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I think things are a little different when you're part of a group that continues to be looked down upon and discriminated against. Were there laws in place stopping me from marrying a white woman, I'd probably go to a march.

Of course the bigot bible thumpers don't pick on white people.
Do the non bible thumper bigots pick on white people?

Every race, ethnic group and religious group known to mankind has been "picked on" and mistreated by others. Your knowledge of history is lacking.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,106,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Where is the "I think pride parades oriented around one's sexual preference are stupid" poll option?
You are free to create one - if you wish.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,106,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Ok. Christmas parades are a celebration of Christianity. Gay parades are a celebration of gayness . . .and the gay parade celebration is political . . .Christmas parades are absent the politics and just the dominant culture doin' it's thing.

A straight parade would be a parody or mocking of a gay parade because straight people already have all of the perks that come with being full human beings . . .there is nothing to celebrate because the privilege is invisible and happens every day . . .
You contradict youself by insinuating on one hand that a straight pride parade would be a "parody" because you seem to think that such events are only rightly engaged by a minority populations - but then say that Christmas parades are just the "dominant culture doin' its thing".

Well which is it? Make up your mind.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,594,670 times
I wouldn't care, I don't see why straight people can't have a pride parade?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 AM

397 posts, read 258,577 times
no. Wouldn't want to walk with a group filled with rage. The people participating would be right wing extremist types. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies