Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:50 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times

Advertisements

Automation is what killing the post office. People just don't send letters or pay bills like they used to. I think they need to continue to restructure to better serve the needs of each community.

Why do people get upset when a government employee makes a decent living wage but have no problem with executives in private companies that were bailed out receiving multi-million dollar bonuses. What's the logic behind that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 02:53 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Have them run it like a business.

I am sick and tired of the many small post offices that have a full time postmaster drawing a great salary $$$$$$$$ and benefits.

The postmaster spends most of her day visiting the few customers and visiting others on her cell phone.

When the postal service tries to cut that " cushy" position that is costing them money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the local folks get all riled uo because that post master is "so durn friendly"..( probably related to many ,also )

If there isn't enough business to justify a full time postmaster, there should not be a full time postmaster.
A simple solution is make it Federal Law that ALL political advertising must be via 1st class mail. Only mail, no TV or Billboards, etc. This Country is in constant election mode, so it would be a very stable business.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
A simple solution is make it Federal Law that ALL political advertising must be via 1st class mail.
Lets take it a step forward and take away their perk of not paying to send mail.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Do away with Saturday delivery. No big deal waiting until Monday for bills and junk mail.
I received over $10k in checks in today's mail. That money will be available to my business on Monday - our busiest day. If I'd had to wait until Monday, that money wouldn't have been available until Tuesday - after I might need it.

Believe it or not, NOT every postal system user is YOU.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Self serve kiosks/satellite stations in malls/supermarkets for those mailing packages with online verifiable accounts, eliminate Saturday delivery, the ability for Fedex to accept packages at their locations, closing of small post offices, hire part time employees to cover am and pm shifts to eliminate health insurance/pension costs and lastly privatization.
Philosophy Quotes - Literary Quotes About Philosophy and Practically Everything Else
For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong.

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics

Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I was thinking they could go to Mon, Wed, Fri delivery. If you have something very important coming in the mail you should have the option of going and getting at the post office on Tue or Thur.

Maybe I'm just evil, but I'd keep Saturday delivery and drop Monday.

Those Monday holidays are mighty expensive to pay for without productivity or revenue.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
A simple solution is make it Federal Law that ALL political advertising must be via 1st class mail. Only mail, no TV or Billboards, etc. This Country is in constant election mode, so it would be a very stable business.
Typical lefty.. When government has a problem, the solution is more mandates on the private sector, even if you have to now tell them how to advertise and violate the Constitution.

I can only hope you werent being serious..

Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
M-W-F and what..turn all those full time folks into part-time workers ? And what about their benefits/pensions..cut in half ?

Union won't go for that.
This needs to be done to employees who work with receiving the State, County, Municipal taxes. All they do is record it and deposit it in the bank whereas if the municipalities were to have to use direct deposit into an account that would eliminate needing a taxpayer paid employee wasting time to do and then spending the rest of the day doing nothing while still getting paid. They get paid for 40hours work and only actually work 20 hours a week. Actually there are so many more governement jobs that the private bank employees could do instead of the Goverment employee who only works half the paid hours to do it. Do postal workers get the sick time all other Gov't employees get? Also who decides the forumula for the individual employee's pensions? would that be their personnel div. or payroll clerk or Trenton, NJ? What about all the other gov't jobs that aren't going out of busniness because they don't rely on the public to pay them outside of taxes. The post offices will eventually go out of business or at least no longer be government paid yet they will have to follow the guidelines of the government rules, etc etc. because it's a federal offense to tamper with the mail. Those pensions will not be much for new employees but for those who already retired not much can be done. Well they worked for it and paid into it all those years so it's fair to leave them alone. I don't know about everywhere in the US but in some areas the PO's have closed down and now some are privatized but they still have to follow Gov't rules.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I received over $10k in checks in today's mail. That money will be available to my business on Monday - our busiest day. If I'd had to wait until Monday, that money wouldn't have been available until Tuesday - after I might need it.

Believe it or not, NOT every postal system user is YOU.
I was going to suggest keeping Saturday delivery. Not everyone can wait until after the weekend and most people are home or available to go to the PO to pick up their mail on Saturday.

Quite honestly I would cut down on hours for all Governement employees. I know the Unions fought to get them 40 hour a week but lets be honest here the clerks do not have enough work for 40 hours a week pay. And what's will all the rent a cops? what's wrong with transferring the law enforcement employees who are 2 to 3 years away from retirement? they are already on the payroll and it's basically a do nothing job so why pay for new employees? geez at $16.00 hourly x 40 = $640 per week x 2 = $1,280. 00. They can put away at least $200 bi-weekly in a deferred comp. account or a federal credit union bank. This is money being wasted by paying to newlly hired employees not necessary in the first place when there are already fully trained employees on the payroll. Worrying about the post offices is a waste of time and by far too easy to pick on when there is money being wasted in other gov't jobs not necessary to exist let alone pay 40 hours a week to pay. Now stop and think how much more they get paid when they make more than $16.00 an hour and don't workt he full 40 hour week they are paid. Some make up into the $40.00 an hour rate. That's a lot of money and not one dollar comes from being privatized. These $40 an hour and 40 hour a week employees, management/superivors or not, can afford to pay for their own pensions by investing their salary themselves. Some, not many perhaps, but some, working with low hourly rates while working 40 hours even get assistance because they put money away in deferred comp and that shows up as making a lesser salary than they really do make so they can apply for assistance. Is that fair no but no taxpayer thinks to look into that nor does anyone know how to, where to start looking to find out who and how many do get this. Its public paid it should be public knowledge who gets it.

Stop making up jobs and paying for rental employees.
cut down on hours for all employees.
recognize that 99% of the supervisors, managers, directors are just governement clerks paid by the same system, taxpayers as any other clerk. Being in charge doesn't mean they work as hard as those in charge in private industry. Stop the excessive "more chiefs than indians" syndrome taxpayers fall into.
put and end to sick time saving up until retirement. Face it any payroll clerk can easily skip deducting sick days for all dept. heads and any employee they are friends with and who pays for it ....yep you guessed it....you do, we all do. Of course because we don't have ID chips on our person in place any employee can take off and not be deducted if friends with the right person or payroll. Or for that matter they could be getting a code put in their payroll record for all we know that gives them more of a pension they normall wouldn't get. I bet not one person here on this site let alone this thread knows who, how, what decides, formulates and proves how much each employee should get when they retire. I bet those Dept. heads, managers know and if it's another employee in management or not that explains the high pensions.

The post offices are not really the problem. If more people were aware of what goes on in other Gov't jobs and not just State jobs more people would realize its not the PO to worry about. Geez people get your priorities straight.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 06-10-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
For all of the hate the PO gets, I think they do a great job. I've never had anything lost and stolen or damaged when delivered by the PO. I mean less than 50 cents to mail a letter 3000 miles or a dollar to mail one anywhere in the world? Can't beat it. You can also do a TON online, and print out postage to save $ and schedule a pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies