Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 08:05 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So, you are satisfied that the Democrats are not going to do anything to make sure you keep getting your social security checks?
I am satisfied the Democrats will keep SS going and will find a way to keep it going.
See Democrats manage the money for the people, Republicans Don't!!!

As to how they will, if I knew that I would be rich.

A lot of politicians have suggestions and ideas but nothing has been voted on.

I am confident they will come to so conclusion on what to do about this fiasco.
I may be dead by then and don't really care.
My kids have other alternatives so they will be okay. Just hubby and I need to live a few more years and then so what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Based upon your stated sentiments, I would think this was a mistake.
I think I may have said that it was a mistake.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
He better keep his filthy, rotton hands off my Social Security! He is a liar and a scumbag. There is no more wrong with our Social Security system than there is with our immigration laws. Social Security is one of the most successful government programs we have ever implemented. It has kept generations of elderly out of total poverty. As companies get greedy and continue to cut jobs, benefits, and freeze pensions, it is at least some security for the future. If they cut it, it will just mean more people on welfare, food stamps, etc. I have worked for 30 years so far, I want to know Social Security is there at least. Bush just wants to get his hands on this money, look at the horrible debt he has gotten us in between this waste of a war (with his contractor buddies profiteering at every turn) and his tax cuts for the wealthy. Why not cut out Social Security after a certain income level, the filthy rich who don't need it anyway? No, that would take balls. Sure, now he wants to cut funds for children's health care and old people's Social Security! He is absolute dispicable. For Gods sakes when do we get rid of this lying idiot!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Eliminating the restriction on income and applying the tax to all income from all sources and readjusting the rate can fix any problem with the current Social Security system. The current cap on taxable income is both regressive and dysfunctional.

Why are so many working people opposed to “redistribution of wealth” by social security of progressive income taxes (really progressive not our current system) from the rich to the poor and so in favor of the current system that redistributes wealth from the working people to the financial elite?

Montana mom - I completely agree with you!

Bush has already provided an answer "here is my constituency - the Haves and have Mores"

Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Eliminating the restriction on income and applying the tax to all income from all sources and readjusting the rate can fix any problem with the current Social Security system. The current cap on taxable income is both regressive and dysfunctional.

Why are so many working people opposed to “redistribution of wealth†by social security of progressive income taxes (really progressive not our current system) from the rich to the poor and so in favor of the current system that redistributes wealth from the working people to the financial elite?

Bush has already provided an answer "here is my constituency - the Haves and have Mores"
Honestly I don't think it's that I'm so much against it, but feel it isn't fair to tax the wealthy at a higher rate. A flat tax to me is fair. Don't care what your income is, we're taking x percent of it, period. End of story.....

Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
A lot of politicians have suggestions and ideas but nothing has been voted on.
AND, the reason nothing has been voted on is because the Democrats will not let it be voted on - and, the democratic leadership has proposed NOTHING

Doesn't that bother you just a little bit???

Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:

Why are so many working people opposed to “redistribution of wealth” by social security of progressive income taxes (really progressive not our current system) from the rich to the poor and so in favor of the current system that redistributes wealth from the working people to the financial elite?

That is an irresponsible view, Greg. I would expect better from you. You know full well that penalizing people for being successful is the most regressive system of all -- and one guaranteed to slow the growth of the entire economy.

President Bush proposed private retirement accounts years ago. They were then, and remain, the most progressive and way to deal with retirement issues - they liberate people to use and have access to their own money, and they would reward folks for planning ahead.

The sole oppostion to PRA's was, and is, the blind hatred for Bush that characterized the previous poster's irrationality.

But Bush won't be president for much longer, and Social Security will still need fixing. It will be interesting to see how the Democrats grapple with this issue without seeming to simply repackage Bush's plan -- because veryone knows it's the best one there is.

P.s. No Democrat will propose your Reichian scheme, by the way. They know that that way lies insolvency and madness. Not to mention the emmigration of future Johnny Hsus....

Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
VAFury - I was only proposing a flat rate tax on all wage and bonus income. The current tax is regressive because it has an upper limit on taxable income and only covers wages. It should be applied to all income from all sources except insurance payments directly to service providers.

I'll start a thread on general income tax some other time. This is about social security

Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM

191 posts, read 712,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Well if so, this country will have a load of seniors to take care of one way or another.
Unless they just let us rot till we die.......or dump us on our kids. Disgracefull.
We are saving for our retirement because we don't think it will be around much longer. My parents have saved, too. If they ran out of money, I would not consider helping them having them "dumped" on me.

My grandmother did not save. She spent every penny she ever earned. She always had plenty of cash to go on vacations out of the country, get her nails done, and buy beautiful things.

She is now completely dependent on social security and can't afford any luxuries. Other family members "chip in" for her extras if they can. I know she wishes she had put aside some cash for her retirement years.

I sure do resent paying and paying and paying for people who didn't save and now expect the government to "pay their way." I doubt I'll ever see a penny of all of the money my husband and I have basically given away so grandma and grandpa can live in the moment and rely on the government when the time comes.

In many countries it is very common to have several generations under one roof. Many children take care of their aged parents, aunts, and uncles when necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more and more common here in the United States. Social security simply cannot continue as is.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Quote:
VAFury - I was only proposing a flat rate tax on all wage and bonus income. The current tax is regressive because it has an upper limit on taxable income and only covers wages. It should be applied to all income from all sources except insurance payments directly to service providers.

I'll start a thread on general income tax some other time. This is about social security
Oh, misread it then... I actually agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies