Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of paying a once a year amount(as long as it's reasonable). I also think nobody should be denied because of a pre-existing condition-which does happen! the irony of this is the person who needs to be insured the most is denied in a for -profit system! My cousin who has a serious health condition(not a smoker,drinker,etc.) was denied coverage due to a condition called polycysic ovarian disease and hypertension(which often accompanies this illness).

Old 09-29-2007, 05:41 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post
I like the idea of paying a once a year amount(as long as it's reasonable). I also think nobody should be denied because of a pre-existing condition-which does happen! the irony of this is the person who needs to be insured the most is denied in a for -profit system! My cousin who has a serious health condition(not a smoker,drinker,etc.) was denied coverage due to a condition called polycysic ovarian disease and hypertension(which often accompanies this illness).
Expecting a company to cover pre-existing conditions is analogous to having a car wreck and then calling Geico asking them to provide you car insurance to cover the expenses of your wreck. If one has a preexisting condition, one needs to find a job that provides a group health policy. Though, usually there's a waiting period, at least your cousin would eventually be covered.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:31 AM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Expecting a company to cover pre-existing conditions is analogous to having a car wreck and then calling Geico asking them to provide you car insurance to cover the expenses of your wreck. If one has a preexisting condition, one needs to find a job that provides a group health policy. Though, usually there's a waiting period, at least your cousin would eventually be covered.
One problem with that approach is that many who have severe health problems may not be able to just find a job like that. When it comes to health insurance, you shouldn't be excluded just because of pre-existing conditions. Your example with a car is very different since cars are not human beings last time I checked

Old 09-29-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
One problem with that approach is that many who have severe health problems may not be able to just find a job like that. When it comes to health insurance, you shouldn't be excluded just because of pre-existing conditions. Your example with a car is very different since cars are not human beings last time I checked
No. But the principle is the same. One can't expect a company to risk its economic well-bing on a high risk investment. Insurance is a game of chance. The insurance companies, whether health or auto, are betting that your premiums will exceed the payouts. Without this, as a rule, the companies would cease to exist, then noone would have insurance. This would not likely the case with individuals with pre-existing conditins.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:14 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
insurance companies are betting that the pool of premiums will be bigger than the pool of payouts

thats about a half baked analysis of the insurance business model. Are you an actuary?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
No. But the principle is the same. One can't expect a company to risk its economic well-bing on a high risk investment. Insurance is a game of chance. The insurance companies, whether health or auto, are betting that your premiums will exceed the payouts. Without this, as a rule, the companies would cease to exist, then noone would have insurance. This would not likely the case with individuals with pre-existing conditins.

Which is exactly why private insurance is a terribel way to allocate necessary healthcare resources. So, thank you for making my argument for me.

"Find a job willing to cover you or die" is a disgusting worldview.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Quote:
And thus we have the fatal flaw in the private health insurance system, as well as the fatal flaw in libertarian political philosophy, as apparently "the principle is the same" for both cars and humans, as long as you're talking about the almighty (and way more important) profit margin. But... you're right, according to capitalist dogma the insurance companies aren't doing anything "wrong" at all... they're just legally pursuing their own self interest, except the magic "invisible hand" isn't guiding everyone to better health and prosperity, instead it's slapping people down. WOOHOO!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:14 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
when you give people the ability to compete with the insurance companys they will become more competitive!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
And thus we have the fatal flaw in the private health insurance system, as well as the fatal flaw in libertarian political philosophy, as apparently "the principle is the same" for both cars and humans, as long as you're talking about the almighty (and way more important) profit margin. But... you're right, according to capitalist dogma the insurance companies aren't doing anything "wrong" at all... they're just legally pursuing their own self interest, except the magic "invisible hand" isn't guiding everyone to better health and prosperity, instead it's slapping people down. WOOHOO!

It's this same "capital dogma" which has developed p.c.'s, an effective internet, flying machines, automobiles, vaccines, artifickial hearts, dialysis machines, and nearly all innovations which have increased the quality and quantity of life for all of mankind. Self-interest is the mother of invention.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Which is exactly why private insurance is a terribel way to allocate necessary healthcare resources. So, thank you for making my argument for me.

"Find a job willing to cover you or die" is a disgusting worldview.
You forgot the third option, amongst others, pay-as-you-go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies