Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Complete fail. No matter how many times you restart the game the same people will be at the bottom because thats where the bulk of them aspire to be. You sing the social equality song all you like, but the reality is the only way to level the playing field is to make everyone equally poor, not equally rich. I, for one, refuse to be poor. So you go on and be your equality driven self while I pay my bills and buy my toys.

Take a rich mans money away and he will be rich again,
Give a poor man a lot of money and he will spend it and then some and be back to poor again.

So think like a poor man and you will be poor. Take a look around you, you are the company you keep. Did you ever know anyone who inherited allot of money and they ran out and spent it all on stuff and now have nothing to show for it. You are a victim of your own mind. Its all in how you think about money. The tax the rich is really saying "I want what they have". If you want to be rich, change your thinking. If you want to play victim you will continue to be poor.

When they target the rich its the middle class who always pay the price.

Not sure if these comments can get through the blame game though.

Last edited by eRayP; 06-19-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
The 99%ers are no more interested in paying down the government debt as they are interested in paying down their own personal debt and I will add the very reason they are not doing so well. So the gov does the same thing, spend, spend, spend and frivolously spend more, we may have a Q3 and now expect everyone else to pick up the tab.

True class warfare,

Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Take a rich mans money away and he will be rich again,
Give a poor man a lot of money and he will spend it and then some and be back to poor again.

So think like a poor man and you will be poor. Take a look around you, you are the company you keep. Did you ever know anyone who inherited allot of money and they ran out and spent it all on stuff and now have nothing to show for it. You are a victim of your own mind. Its all in how you think about money. The tax the rich is really saying "I want what they have". If you want to be rich, change your thinking. If you want to play victim you will continue to be poor.

When they target the rich its the middle class who always pay the price.

Not sure if these comments can get through the blame game though.
So, if a wealthy man will always end up wealthy, how about they return the money they stole from us so we can zero out the national debt THEY CREATED. They will just be rich again, so no harm done.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So essentially you don't want tax equality, you want the wealthier people to pay a heavier portion of the taxes, right?

I absolutely blame the worker! If a person is stupid enough to work a repetitive job for years without planning for a way to gain transferable skills, then why shouldn't they be punished for their lack of planning? You seem to want to reward the kind of flat out laziness that a person demonstrates who wants to work the exact same job for years and years. The VAST majority of those who are well-off financially work extremely hard, never stop learning and never stop improving their skills. Suddenly you want to effectively punish that behavior. Don't blame the system for an individual's laziness.
Yep tax the wealthy more. You must not have been paying attention, the lower 50% pay more tax than the top 400, 25% more, but the wealthy earn more. That my friend means the top 400 pay a smaller percentage of their income toward taxes.

We need to tax the wealthy more to even that inequity, a little more to make up for past inequities and more yet to pay down the national debt the wealthy created. So, yea, we need to tax the wealthy a lot more.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yep tax the wealthy more. You must not have been paying attention, the lower 50% pay more tax than the top 400, 25% more, but the wealthy earn more. That my friend means the top 400 pay a smaller percentage of their income toward taxes.

We need to tax the wealthy more to even that inequity, a little more to make up for past inequities and more yet to pay down the national debt the wealthy created. So, yea, we need to tax the wealthy a lot more.
The top 400 payers paid almost as much as the lower 50%. Yes, tax them to death, make them move to Bahamas, Monte Carlo and then wonder who is going to fill the gap resulted by the laws of taxes.

You see, bud, the super rich can live anywhere they want, they have enough money to move their entire families to tax haven countries. The rest of us (me) don't. We are stuck here so if you come up with more great ideas how to further ********** country up keep them to yourself, OK?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
The top 400 payers paid almost as much as the lower 50%. Yes, tax them to death, make them move to Bahamas, Monte Carlo and then wonder who is going to fill the gap resulted by the laws of taxes.

You see, bud, the super rich can live anywhere they want, they have enough money to move their entire families to tax haven countries. The rest of us (me) don't. We are stuck here so if you come up with more great ideas how to further ********** country up keep them to yourself, OK?
I find it quite ironic that people who are inherently poor, the ones who are fiscally mediocre at best, wish to dictate how this country's top earners should be managing their money. It surely must be bliss.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I find it quite ironic that people who are inherently poor, the ones who are fiscally mediocre at best, wish to dictate how this country's top earners should be managing their money. It surely must be bliss.
Dude, you haven't got a clue. Hinckley, Ohio is not home to many poor ppl. If I had to guess I'd think I'm in the top 10% to 15%. I retired in my early 50's, made a small fortune doing contracting work, live on a 9 acre "hobby farm", and travel the country in our motorhome.

As for having a responsible tax policy that benefits everyone, we need to go back to pre Reagun days and tax all income at the same rate. This BS 15% cap gains rate does NOT promote investment, it only allows the wealthy to recharactorize what they once took as wages.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post

Sorry, but I have as much right to post here as you. You're not going to "edit" or dictate what I or anyone else has to say.

The jet set crowd can and would leave this country under a consumption tax only policy. Why would they stay? Great plan, for them. Earn their money tax free here and spend it tax free there. You wingnut drones, along with the rest of the poor smuck, would end up paying their taxes once they bailed.

Yet another flaw with a consumption tax, that would surely drive those with "AFTER TAX WEALTHY", the spector of double taxation. I earned my fortune, paid my taxes on a fair share of it, yet you goons would impose a tax on that already taxed money AGAIN with a consumption tax???? You living in the twilight zone?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I happened to catch this from Mark Levin the other day, found it striking, and decided to look it up on line when I got home.
Mark Levin

Economist Mark J Perry found this interesting factoid. According to 2009 IRS data, the 400 top taxpayers in 2009 shelled out $16.1 billion, while the bottom 50% of taxpayers totaled $19.5 billion in taxes, or less than 25% more.

Something to cite next time someone claims that the rich don't pay their fair share in taxes.

Note also how inherently unstable this structure is. What happens if just a few of those 400 decide to take their money and go to some small offshore tax haven? Wouldn't it be more stable to have a much more broad-based structure instead of trying to drain so much dough from such a tiny group?
Levin, like Fox, is a wealthy spinmeister. It's not the amount of dough they pay that's important.
The top 400 have more income than the bottom 50% but pay a smaller rate.
Taxes are paid on income, it's the rate which is important, not he amount.
The U.S. median wage is $26000, that's the same as the the poverty line for a family of five. The tax rates go up from there, but fall for the super wealthy to 15% because their income is capital gains.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
What your thinking marginalizes is unequal opportunity -- the notion that everyone is born the same and some excel and some fail. So why should the winners pay for the losers?

Why? Because those winners were often born on third base or at least in the batter's box. While the losers are born in the stadium parking lot.

We have schools that have little tax-base and cannot educate children to the level of their potential. Apart from the human cost to these individuals, that's an enormous waste in potential productivity for the nation.

And yes, your argument that top earners are somehow intellectually superior to the rest has no empirical support. Rich people aren't inherently smarter than non-rich people. They just have more money. Besides, arguing that rich people are born smarter undercuts this side's other argument, that there is wide income mobility -- which can't both be true. It can't be true that the rich are better but it's easy for a poor person to become rich with a little effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies