Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ain't gonna happen. Americans are asleep at the wheel and the car is on cruise control.
They won't wake up until there is a crash and by then it will be too late.

Your best bet is to learn to adjust and adapt to a changing society because I don't think there is any "going back".

oh man, you just burst my bubble, however, I fear you are right...
but we can dream can't we?

seriously, they've got American's right where they want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
the first thing I would do, in these hard times, is if I were elected, I'd not have the presidential inaugural ball!!!!
That is ridiculous...who pays for all the hollywood stars to come to the White House and Entertain?
It's paid for privately by donations and ticket sales.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
1) We need to be free from oil dependence. We are siphoning billions every month from our country directly to the middle East.

Solution: We need energy creation at the individual level.. Every house/business needs to be generating power, be it solar, wind, bloom energy. renewables offer the best option in that that will always give and not substitute one problem for another....oil for coal.

Placing power out of the control of the large utilities we will improve our stability, decrease our vulnerability and improve the standard of living for the people, not make corporations rich.

Nuclear, coal, solar farms, wind farms are still designed to keep power companies in charge...this needs to end.

This will be a first step in redesign of our infrastructure.

2) Eliminate the Federal Reserve - This will over haul how we fund our projects and eliminate our paying world banks massive amounts of interest to handle our money. It will in a fairly short time eliminate our debt.

3) Make political office a duty, not a fruit to be gathered. - eliminate lobbyist and their control and back room deals that make politicians rich and screw the rest of us. term limits of 6 years for president and senators, and Reps. (possible the Supreme Court)-

4) Benefits from the government are only for Citizens... welfare, medicare

5) In order to be a Citizen you must speak English

6) Issue visas to foreigners, when they expire they must leave.

7) Legalize drugs - the war on them is a farce, it fills prisons and does nothing good, crime increases and cartels make billions off of illegal trade. Make them legal and controlled. Provide education on the dangers and treatment options for those that want help.

8) provide incentives for businesses to operate in our borders. make it costly when they don't

9) stop allowing companies to locate in other areas so they can avoid taxesor liabilities.... Cruise lines as an example.... If you sail from our ports you must be registered with the US and guided by our laws and taxes.

10) banking controls - limit to excessive interest rates charged by banks/credit cards

11) Direct the auto industry to be fossil fuel free by 2016. I don't care if you don't like the lack of varooom out of your engines. This will go so far to clean our air and oil dependence.

12) Incentives to utilize existing buildings vs building new... incentives for making old buildings fuel efficient.

13) close military bases that serve no purpose.... I expect that would be at least 1/2 of them worldwide.

14) Eliminate HSA/TSA , The Dept of Education, HUD, and likely others ...Streamline government, reduce its scope.

15) stop the push of a 2 party system, it makes for a you vs I mentality and creates division so people don't clean house of these Aholes that are screwing us and getting filty rich in the process..... Tell why someone spends 50 million for a job that pays a few hundred thousand?

There are my suggestions. It addresses, government corruption, jobs, environment, financial well being of the people, national security and more.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree with this, I feel nothing short of a revolution will save this country and that's not going to happen.

The people in this country are too divided. I would just live my life to it's best and not worry.
I'm afraid your right, honestly...
What American's don't understand is, that there are more American's now living in Poverty then have in a long long time.

They've sold us out....

Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
1) We need to be free from oil dependence. We are siphoning billions every month from our country directly to the middle East.

Solution: We need energy creation at the individual level.. Every house/business needs to be generating power, be it solar, wind, bloom energy. renewables offer the best option in that that will always give and not substitute one problem for another....oil for coal.

Placing power out of the control of the large utilities we will improve our stability, decrease our vulnerability and improve the standard of living for the people, not make corporations rich.

Nuclear, coal, solar farms, wind farms are still designed to keep power companies in charge...this needs to end.

This will be a first step in redesign of our infrastructure.

2) Eliminate the Federal Reserve - This will over haul how we fund our projects and eliminate our paying world banks massive amounts of interest to handle our money. It will in a fairly short time eliminate our debt.

3) Make political office a duty, not a fruit to be gathered. - eliminate lobbyist and their control and back room deals that make politicians rich and screw the rest of us. term limits of 6 years for president and senators, and Reps. (possible the Supreme Court)-

4) Benefits from the government are only for Citizens... welfare, medicare

5) In order to be a Citizen you must speak English

6) Issue visas to foreigners, when they expire they must leave.

7) Legalize drugs - the war on them is a farce, it fills prisons and does nothing good, crime increases and cartels make billions off of illegal trade. Make them legal and controlled. Provide education on the dangers and treatment options for those that want help.

8) provide incentives for businesses to operate in our borders. make it costly when they don't

9) stop allowing companies to locate in other areas so they can avoid taxesor liabilities.... Cruise lines as an example.... If you sail from our ports you must be registered with the US and guided by our laws and taxes.

10) banking controls - limit to excessive interest rates charged by banks/credit cards

11) Direct the auto industry to be fossil fuel free by 2016. I don't care if you don't like the lack of varooom out of your engines. This will go so far to clean our air and oil dependence.

12) Incentives to utilize existing buildings vs building new... incentives for making old buildings fuel efficient.

13) close military bases that serve no purpose.... I expect that would be at least 1/2 of them worldwide.

14) Eliminate HSA/TSA , The Dept of Education, HUD, and likely others ...Streamline government, reduce its scope.

There are my suggestions. It addresses, government corruption, jobs, environment, financial well being of the people, national security and more.
Your right and good points!!!!!
OK, here is a true story...
The head CEO of Shell, back when Obama was a Senator, was at a fund raiser when Obama was there. He wanted Obama to consider becoming Independent of Middle East Oil. So he goes over to talk with him and present his solution to Obama....Obama listened briefly and said, "We've already got a plan and we're doing it OUR way. Then turned and walked away, extremely curt and downed his nose at this CEO. This CEO chased after him, saying, "but we can become independent of the middle east, we've got enough oil right here in America". Again Obama snubbed him but this time was more offensive and turned and walked away from the CEO.
What does that tell you who Obama is working for? As does every other President!

In order to become a citizen, you must legally obtain your citizenship which would include speaking English.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's paid for privately by donations and ticket sales.
Then take that money and put it to use...and I mean, just don't hand it over to some organization, but hire a team of experts to make whoever receives money from the government to oversee what they are doing with that money...

Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Maybe i shouldn't be posting as i'm not from the US but i can tell you this..

From the outside it looks like there's too much vitriol between the two political parties and even more so between many of their supporters for the US to be able to "pull together" and solve anything.

Compromise and debate with a non-political bias seems to have vanished and the word moderate is viewed by both sides with suspicion.

As to what you could do to rectify that? I have no idea but a two party system doesn't seem to be working so far. Maybe a strengthening of the middle ground to encourage more 'moderate' voters and politicians to feel that an interest in politics is worth their time and that their voices might be heard and opinions respected? It couldn't hurt.

Last edited by Baldrick; 06-14-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Maybe i shouldn't be posting as i'm not from the US but i can tell you this..

From the outside it looks like there's too much vitriol between the two political parties and even more so many of their supporters for the US to be able to "pull together" and solve anything.

Compromise and debate with a non-political bias seems to have vanished and the word moderate is viewed by both sides with suspicion.

As to what you could do to rectify that? I have no idea but a two party system doesn't seem to be working so far. Maybe a strengthening of the middle ground to encourage more 'moderate' voters and politicians to feel that an interest in politics is worth their time and that their voices might be heard and opinions respected? It couldn't hurt.
No, outside opinions should always be welcome here. Sometimes we are too blinded by our own narrowness to see objectively. An outsider looking in has no dog in the race and can see things others, too involved, can't.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,076 times
OK, I know I'll get blasted for this, but I am heartily SICK of being told to wake up.

I am not asleep, just because I might disagree with you.

Insulting me and denigrating my (to my mind, anyway) well-reasoned stance on something is never, ever going to be an effective argument for your cause. Particularly if you cannot spell and misuse words or phrases like "mute point". (It's "moot point").

Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, but it's a mute point...no one is going to vote for him...
Please, write down what you think he would do to fix American's dilemas?
What should be the President's job...
for me, number one would be to clean up Washington, and I mean, start firing people who do not perform they're jobs, and I mean fire them, no severance package for life...actually start penilizing people again for not doing they're jobs correctly, and put a limit on terms in Congress...period....

also, I'm ashamed of anyone who runs for the President and bashes his running mate, I'm sick to death of it, sick to death of those embarrasing commercials they pay for on TV...Good God, I want to hear what they plan to do....and feel secure that the person who is running for President, is going to intelligently address all the problems at hand, which doesn't inclue, women's rights, or gays....voting for a President on those two issues, is certainly unintelligent....but the candidates prey on the sympathies of those special interest groups...geeze lousie...when are American's going to get sick of it and down to business of fixing this country.
(1) First off, Americans need to get off of their a**es and utilize there most basic privilege and VOTE! There are many people who don't like the 2 status quo candidates, but won't vote, because they feel that their vote doesn't matter. Get out, and vote these bums out who won't serve in the best interest of ALL AMERICANS!

(2) Someone else said it, but I'll echo it. Get the damn lobbyists out of Washington! Stop making it so the rules benefit only the large corporations!

(3) Abolish the IRS and enact a flat tax, so that all Americans are paying! Those who are unemployed, and receiving benefits pay no income tax.

(4) End all wars, and bring our troops home! We can no longer afford to be the world cop. We have the strongest military in the world hands down, but we should lead by example not force. If the idiots in the middle east want to kill themselves, then let them have at it! Those people have been fighting since the beginning of time. If they have not figured out how to be civilized after several thousands of years, they're not going to! Furthermore, why do we need well over 100 military bases world wide? We'd be better served with our troops contributing to our economy as opposed to those in foreign nations. Europe benefits from our protection, as well as other countries. Shouldn't they have figured it out by now how to protect themselves?

(5) Free ourselves from oil. This country is large enough, and has enough vast resources for us to sustain ourselves.

(6) Get rid of the TSA, and repeal The Patriot Act.

(7) Enact term limits. No more career politcians, and no more life time benefits once you leave office. It is a privilege to serve your country, not a right.

(8) End the war on drugs! Especially marijuana! There are many good uses for hemp and it's ashame that because of a few special interest groups afraid of losing money, they had to go and lobby the government to ban a natural substance with numerous benefits!

Those are just a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Get rid of all the Lobbyist. Start working for the good of the people instead of the good of the major companies.. wait.. forgot... Corporations are people too. If so... should a hostile takeover be considered murder or kidnapping or something?
See above. I echo this statement. The government and corporations are in bed with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ain't gonna happen. Americans are asleep at the wheel and the car is on cruise control.
They won't wake up until there is a crash and by then it will be too late.

Your best bet is to learn to adjust and adapt to a changing society because I don't think there is any "going back".
I try to remain optimistic that people will wake up, but that is slowly waning everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree with this, I feel nothing short of a revolution will save this country and that's not going to happen.

The people in this country are too divided. I would just live my life to it's best and not worry.
As I said above, I'm trying to remain optimistic, and really would hope that cooler heads would prevail. Americans need to learn from the history of the Roman Empire, and the fact they expanded themselves so much that they fell from within. Unfortunately, history does repeat itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies