Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times

Advertisements

Mid 50,s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Mid 50,s
She doesnt need to worry about maternity leave, then, does she?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I went back to work less than 2 weeks after having a C-section. I was new at my job and didn't have any vacation time saved up. Never in a million years would I expect someone else to pay for me to stay home for a year. Because in the end we all know the money would be coming from people who pay taxes. It just doesnt appear out of thin air.
Why would you need vacation time? You mean in order to get paid or to get the days off? If your company has more than 50 people within a 75 mile radius you could have applied for FMLA leave and had up to 12 weeks off unpaid (4 before and 8 after) and kept your job anyways. My previous company allowed 3 months paid Maternity leave and 4 weeks paid Paternity leave as well (I used my 4 weeks and it was worth every day off).

Last edited by tluv00; 06-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Last comment made no sense. At new gig less than a year.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I was just listening to a radio show today, where a European woman was relating that she was shocked by the short release American women get for maternity. Apparently, in her country, Slovenia, all women get a government paid maternity leave of 1 year.

I know that I have a staff member, and his wife actually is the higher earning member of the pair. She went back to work right away (within 8 weeks, with very little paid leave for either of them). I am rather aghast that he began commuting 10 miles each morning to drop off his 3 month old ( now 7 month old) daughter in day care at 7:45 near work am and picks her up at 5:15 pm.

My wife was fired about halfway through her pregnancy, and she did not return to work for five years. We received no maternity leave of any kind, but at least our son was with his mother during those early years. She now works 3/4 time, and that works pretty well. We are fortunate in that my salary is high enough to allow that.

Anyhow, enough of my anecdotes. What do you think of this issue? Who should pay for maternity leave (or paternity, if appropriate), and for how long? And why? This seems like a quality of life, parenting, policy issue of some importance.
And who do we think is paying? Of course the government, too many do not realize how much other countries pay in taxes, both rich and poor to subsidize all these government programs. I have watched my daughter and her daughters take their leave: they have done just fine with our system and so have the kids.

Yes, in some cases, I know of one right now, daddy stays home, in some cases mommy chooses to be a stay at home mom for a few years or longer, I was a stay at home mom. For me it was the only way, for others child care works fine. In the case of my daughter and her daughters, the answer for the first couple of years has been day care in a lcensed home raher than center. Regardless of what path families take I absolutely do not see why anyone should think the government should provide a year off with pay. These are family decisions and the cost of childcare, etc must be taken into consideration when couples want to add to their family.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
She doesnt need to worry about maternity leave, then, does she?

So how long do think paid leave should be? Keep in mind a lot of woman already earn less for doing the same job a man does.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So then what happens? Her employer fills the postion with someone else and when she is ready to come back to work either has to layoff the replacement employee ( and pay UI on them ) or carries a second not needed employee?
A person is hired on a temporary non-permanent basis knowing that it is short term only. If you hire someone as independent contractor as a replacement there is no issue of UI.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A person is hired on a temporary non-permanent basis knowing that it is short term only. If you hire someone as independent contractor as a replacement there is no issue of UI.

It is against the law to pay someone hourly as an independent contractor. Many in my industry have tried and many found out the consequences the hard way.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:52 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
This is why German employers will do anything to avoid hiring a woman of childbearing age.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This is why German employers will do anything to avoid hiring a woman of childbearing age.

exactly, every action has a reaction. One needs to realize the element of human nature before making important decisions.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:54 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The government cannot and should not pay for maternity leaves. Women are free to save up their vacation and sick days and use short term disability insurance. Seriously, our country is B.R.O.K.E. When will people realize this??
Well, mothers get a year paid maternity leave here and it's paid for by the unemployment insurance primiums you pay on every single paycheck. There have been many years where the scheme actually has had a surplus and the government uses that to pay down the debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies