Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 PM

603 posts, read 946,606 times

Advertisements

There was a book that came out a few years ago that caused a lot of controversy. It was called "The Bell Curve".

Most people focused their negative attention on the discussion about race & intelligence, pointing out problems with their research. However, there was a section of the book that most researchers didn't dispute, and that was about birth rates among professional women.

One of the studies in the book was showing that women working in professional careers, women with college degrees, and married women in the middle and upper-middle-class are having far fewer children in America than women in any other socioeconomic group.

For women in America who are poor or unemployed, it is cheaper to have a child.
For women in America who are educated and have a career, it is cheaper to have an abortion.

It's expensive to pay maternity leave. The reason so many other countries do it, is to avoid the exact situation America is in right now. Where the professional & skilled middle class is in generational decline, while the population of the poor and unskilled expands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Not all jobs can be filled by temps.
Yes, they can. (And I like your backtracking, btw).
I work in Europe where people can take up to 3 years maternity leave.
Every single job has been filled by a temp.
Their contract simply states Not To Exceed dates.

What jobs couldn't be filled by one?
Do tell.

Quote:
ceo, nurse supervisor, dr
Feh.
Wrong again.
But your posts are quite humorous.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This is why German employers will do anything to avoid hiring a woman of childbearing age.
I call BS.
It's simply not true.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Do employees contribute to UI there?
So you're absolutely clueless about the topic.
You refuse to do any research on your own.
You argue with those of us who have a clue.

Got it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Doctor, lawyer, software developer.
Feh,
lawyers are a dime a dozen; doctors share their burden; software developer, depends.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Feh
FWIW FYI its now "Meh" (current generation somehow found out Feh was yiddish, go figure)

Old 06-27-2012, 03:26 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,288 times
Quote:
ceo, nurse supervisor, dr
I've actually hired two out of those three to cover maternity leave.

Its never been a problem, and this is actually the first place I've seen it suggested that it might be. The whole temp issue is a digression. Maternity leaves that can exceed a year is an established practice in many countries. Countries like Germany, the Scandinavian nations, etc with highly modern economies and high percentages of specialized workers. Its never been an issue. That suggests to me that this isn't the point where the US economy would run into problems.

Quote:
This is why German employers will do anything to avoid hiring a woman of childbearing age.
Strangely enough, unemployment among women of childbearing age in Germany is not significantly different from that of men.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
@Waterboy7375. Actually you can be an IC if the contract has a basis for amount of hours worked in any given week and a rider for hours worked in excess of those hours. The true IRS test is who gives you your orders. For example: (this is extremely basic to make it simple to understand). You are a IC if you work at a company and not directly for the company if the supervisor has to call your boss to ask you to do something on their site.

@Chava61. Its Federal and not state.

I'm an American citizen who works for a foriegn company (who has no offices in the US) in a position thats in the United States. My contract is based on hours due to the law in that country (I also get the benefits mandated by that country even though I don't reside there - that would be another law to cover which is also covered in the IRS website). That country pays me through ADP who generates the 1099 at the end of the year. So yes it can be done but there is a load of paperwork that goes along with it. And BTW I have a paid paternity allowance.
Well I know someone who works as a pilot part-time for a local (American) charter airline company and gets a 1099. Since it is a part-time job there are no benefits and one would assume the company knows what it is doing.

Many years ago I worked full time for a foreign consulate and also got a 1099 form at the end of the year as foreign consulates/embassies are considered foreign territory. I did get an extra check at the end of the year to cover what would be the employer's share of social security and they did offer cover to help with health insurance coverage. But I did have to file as an IC.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
In Israel employers don't want to hire married women of childbearing age especially if they already have small children.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
In Israel employers don't want to hire married women of childbearing age especially if they already have small children.
Ummmm. No. I'll just guess you haven't been there in awhile.
http://www.btl.gov.il/English%20Home...s/default.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies