Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,790,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
TLDR; A lot of jobs are not replaceable by temps, because there is too much background knowledge required.

Correct. By the time a good temp can come in and learn the environment, their time is up.

Temps only work to fill in for short periods of time on low skilled jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,071,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So then temps don't fill in. The question was about temps.
Actually, the same query was posted several pages back.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 06-25-2012 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 AM

36,727 posts, read 31,008,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Correct I dont . If someone wants to stay home with their new kid thats fine, but they should not be getting paid to do so any more then me wanting to spend time with my new boat.
Not a very good comparison. What if you had to have major surgery or an extended illness. I took 6 weeks off after childbirth. Half was paid by accumulated paid leave and the other half unpaid administrative leave. Its not unreasonable for anyone to need 6 weeks for a major personal situation.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 AM

36,727 posts, read 31,008,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correct. By the time a good temp can come in and learn the environment, their time is up.

Temps only work to fill in for short periods of time on low skilled jobs.
Not true. My ex worked a temp position as a mechanical engineer. There are agencies that place skilled professional workers. Also as far as pregnancy there is at least 9 months to prepare for someone to replace you.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,541,618 times
why should any company/corporation/government GIVE you paid time off...why not EARN (save) it what can be paid..the rest is unpaid

I like the way the federal government works leaves (vacation and sick)

those employeed 0-7 yea r EARN 4hours annual leave(vac) and 4 hours sick per 2 week pay period
those employeed 8-14 year EARN 6hours annual leave(vac) and 4 hours sick per 2 week pay period
those employeed 15+ year EARN 8hours annual leave(vac) and 4 hours sick per 2 week pay period

vac can carry up to 240 hrs.. sick can carry forever

Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,602,318 times
Not only do we have a year of maternity benefits we also have 100% subsidized daycare for low wage earners. My wife has 5 preschool children she cares for in our home. The government pays her $50 a day for each child. The mothers can then continue to work and be productive members of society instead of going on welfare as they most surely would without this option. Is it expensive for the taxpayers? Of course it is but it's way less expensive that creating generational welfare cases like they do in the USA. These mothers are usually just at the starting point in their working lives and will continue to work for 30 or more years after their kids are no longer in daycare. They will, in a lot of cases also be making way more money in the future than they are making now. They will be paying way more taxes and spending way more money and that is good both for the country and for business in the country.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,143,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I was just listening to a radio show today, where a European woman was relating that she was shocked by the short release American women get for maternity. Apparently, in her country, Slovenia, all women get a government paid maternity leave of 1 year.

I know that I have a staff member, and his wife actually is the higher earning member of the pair. She went back to work right away (within 8 weeks, with very little paid leave for either of them). I am rather aghast that he began commuting 10 miles each morning to drop off his 3 month old ( now 7 month old) daughter in day care at 7:45 near work am and picks her up at 5:15 pm.

My wife was fired about halfway through her pregnancy, and she did not return to work for five years. We received no maternity leave of any kind, but at least our son was with his mother during those early years. She now works 3/4 time, and that works pretty well. We are fortunate in that my salary is high enough to allow that.

Anyhow, enough of my anecdotes. What do you think of this issue? Who should pay for maternity leave (or paternity, if appropriate), and for how long? And why? This seems like a quality of life, parenting, policy issue of some importance.

"Maternity Leave" is taken out of your accrued sick and annual leave. After that runs out you don't get paid.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,143,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think a better idea is to get back to a culture n which one parent can stay home with the kids.

I mean, 6 weeks, one year...what is the difference? Does the kid not need a mother/father after one year?!

Problem is, a lot of families can't afford the one-parent breadwinner.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,693,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should any company/corporation/government GIVE you paid time off...why not EARN (save) it what can be paid..the rest is unpaid

I like the way the federal government works leaves (vacation and sick)

those employeed 0-7 yea r EARN 4hours annual leave(vac) and 4 hours sick per 2 week pay period
those employeed 8-14 year EARN 6hours annual leave(vac) and 4 hours sick per 2 week pay period
those employeed 15+ year EARN 8hours annual leave(vac) and 4 hours sick per 2 week pay period

vac can carry up to 240 hrs.. sick can carry forever
I like it too because I am in the 15+ category!

The problem is, many, many of the women in the government taking maternity leave are in the 0-7 year bracket and have hardly accrued any leave. The other downside is that the government does not offer short term disability that you an buy into (like all the private companies do that I've ever worked for). I'm not saying that the government needs to offer/pay for short term disability policies for their employees but I think they should at least organize a "group" so that employees can purchase as a group if they so desire. It's fairly cheap that way.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,819,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375
It is against the law to pay someone hourly as an independent contractor. Many in my industry have tried and many found out the consequences the hard way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61
Against the law where? It must vary from state to state ass I know people who get paid hourly by a single employer and then get a 1099 tax form as an independent contractor at the end of the tax year.

@Waterboy7375. Actually you can be an IC if the contract has a basis for amount of hours worked in any given week and a rider for hours worked in excess of those hours. The true IRS test is who gives you your orders. For example: (this is extremely basic to make it simple to understand). You are a IC if you work at a company and not directly for the company if the supervisor has to call your boss to ask you to do something on their site.

@Chava61. Its Federal and not state.

I'm an American citizen who works for a foriegn company (who has no offices in the US) in a position thats in the United States. My contract is based on hours due to the law in that country (I also get the benefits mandated by that country even though I don't reside there - that would be another law to cover which is also covered in the IRS website). That country pays me through ADP who generates the 1099 at the end of the year. So yes it can be done but there is a load of paperwork that goes along with it. And BTW I have a paid paternity allowance.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-26-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies