Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 02:22 PM

410 posts, read 342,444 times

Advertisements

Why not let it play out in the effect it has on our lives until you say it's a "victory?" I suspect this will be a horrible thing, but DO hope that I am wrong, because we're stuck with it for some time. I'd gladly eat my words if this reduces the cost of healthcare. But I'll see it when I believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,993 times
A situation comes to mind that is completely true. One nightshift while taking care of my patients I went into a women's room and after talking to her for a short time noticed that there was a personality change, that something was not right. Looking for a cause I did a couple test and "found nothing". Regardless, there was something very wrong, but she did not exhibit textbook symptoms.

Turned out she was septic but at the beginning state. In sepsis, blood pressure drops, resulting in shock. Major organs and body systems, including the kidneys, liver, lungs, and central nervous system, stop working properly because of poor blood flow.

My point being that a change in mental status is a only a earliest signs of sepsis and is a symptom of many other health problems. How many signs would we have to wait for so the problem was textbook symptoms before we were allowed by law to take action? After the patient is in shock? after in kidney failure? after the arrest?

Do you really want to take the first responders out of making the most important decision?

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Obamacare was passed and it will cost middle Americans big. For those who are for this bill, you are dead wrong. I worked in healthcare for over 20 years. There are life and death situations and decisions must be made in seconds. Now with the government in the middle of those life and death seconds, if you live or die is determined by authorization of the action that will be needed to save your life and this authorization will be based on MONEY. Guess what is more important?
Sorry but you have worked for the current health system NOT a Govt funded system and you have absolutely no idea about how much control a Govt. funded system has................. The Control of your health, treatments, Emergency stuations is completely in the control of the attending Doctor or the Doctor seeing you NOT the Govt. At the present time here in the USA, your treatment is dependent on your insurance coverage.... even in a ER, whether you stay in the Hospital overnight is often decided by your insurance coverage.
America is NOW paying through the nose for it's health care...... NO OTHER Country with a UHC pays as much for health care and serves as few Citizens. The BIG cost to middle America would have been if "Obamacare" had been struck down and if America does NOT get a UHC........ then, as now, the cost of healthcare will be MASSIVE...... ONLY a UHC will bring real competition and stop the iron grip on our health by the get rich quick health companies................. FACT!

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Private healthcare companies will be out of business soon. People who "opt out" and get sick, need a surgery etc, simply need to go sign up, they can't be denied for pre existing conditions after all, and get their surgery, insurance company has to pay for it, folks then cancel the insurance and opt back out. End of insurance companies.

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It isn't over yet.
Yes, this major tax increase on the middle class can be turned into a political asset for the Republicans.

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
No victory set back, we need one payer medical

From this morning

I have more pics at link below

Supreme Court Obama Care - PHOTObyTED's Photos | SmugMug

Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
So, let me get this straight...

The insurance companies are no longer allowed to deny you insurance or drop you from the policies due to a pre-existing condition. Children up to the age of 26 can essentially be covered under their parent's insurance. By 2014, everyone is mandated to have some sort of health insurance.

That is the evil, twisted, sordid "Obamacare" that everyone is complaining about. There is no institution or separate government entity created to cover people. There was no "Medicare Extended" or "DC Health Insurance" or "Federal Insurance United" or anything of the sort. The so-called "Obamacare" is merely a subsidy for those who can't afford their own insurance to get their own insurance - THROUGH A PRIVATE CAPITALIST COMPANY such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, etc...

Basically, all the freeloaders at the hospital who never had insurance in the past are going to be forced to pay via subsidy or otherwise. Or, rather, they're going to have insurance and a normal doctor visit will probably take care of what the ER rooms have been taking care of for so long - essentially for free.

If anyone has ever been in an accident with an uninsured motorist you know what a pain and what a drag on the system they are. Your insurance company (if you have the right type of insurance) has to pay for this scumbag. Said scumbag may get sued but if they didn't have the money to pay for insurance, they're not going to have anything the insurance company can take. Then the guy who hit you has to go to court, pay his debt to society and all that jazz... That's a drain on the system and that's very analogous to what happens when people don't have health insurance.

Your statement that the government will be "deciding" who gets coverage and who doesn't is so flawed and so inaccurate that it doesn't bear any truth whatsoever. Those decisions will still be left up to the insurance companies; the billing process and the medical examination and treatment process will remain the same, and, if anything, it would prevent someone from ending up in the hospital only to find out that their insurance company is no longer going to pay for their ailments.

Explain to me how and why that is so horrible.

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Obamacare was passed and it will cost middle Americans big. For those who are for this bill, you are dead wrong. I worked in healthcare for over 20 years. There are life and death situations and decisions must be made in seconds. Now with the government in the middle of those life and death seconds, if you live or die is determined by authorization of the action that will be needed to save your life and this authorization will be based on MONEY. Guess what is more important?
How is this so? I live in Massachusetts and we've had Romneycare (do you like it better if I call it that?) for some time now and it works! There's no government in the middle. What we do have is 90% of Massachusetts residents with health care.

1,001 posts, read 1,990,385 times
So those of you against this ruling are ok with all these people living with out insurance so then they get injured or sick and can;t pay, it gets passed on to the rest of us????

Let me ask you this, do all of you see a problem with the tax on those of us with no children? Because here in the US there is a tax on childless people. So of you are against being taxed if you do NOT have healthcare ins you must be all riled up for being taxed for not having a child......

Right?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
There is a shortage of doctors now, especially primary physicians. Obamacare will only add to the shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies